Singapore Expats

Another Question...

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 9:01 am

In general terms the costs of relocation are pretty massive (freight, temp accommodation, rent+depo+agents fees up front etc) you can’t be expected to fund them. I don’t advocate ‘nickel and diming’ every last penny, as it often seems to come back and bite you, but fair is fair, and funding the flat-depo is simply a low cost loan off the company’s balance sheet, that gets returned to them.

[thinking) 3 bed house [ /thinking) so that’s going to be 1200ft+. Prepare to feel cramped over here in SG.

Yes good for you renting your house out. Plenty of us here have done the same. Can be a bit traumatic letting strangers take over your home, they can do the most stupid things. Bit fiddly on the tax side of things, but it’s a parallel income stream. Don’t underestimate it, I maybe halved my mortgage over three years by letting my place to a friend, and using his rent to pay down the capital outstanding. I then went home, remortgaged the equity out of it, and used that equity to buy three further flats to rent out). // But don’t let them try and say they’ll pay you less, because you have a property at home from which you’ll earn an income. That happened to me, they tried it on, but you’ll see it’s easy to shoot that one down...

Transport here isn’t much of an issue. The trains/buses are reliable and widespread. If you can afford it just take taxis, there’s no shortage of them. Best not to identify your employer, but what district are you commuting to?

Handbag dogs. Yes, precisely. You see very very few dogs out in public, but if a person here has a dog here 99.9% sure it’s a handbag dog. There was a youth at our last condo that paraded around with a shitzu puppy in her fake LV handbag a la Paris Hilton.

The issue of dogs is complex. To some (muslims) the wet nose is untouchable, ‘haram’, taboo. To others, dogs are solely, kept as fierce guard-dogs, and not pets, and so assumed to be highly aggressive. To people who grew up on a little bowl of plain rice a day, the concept of a discretionary pet that needs 8oz of meat is alien.

Don’t worry about offending the locals. It is karmic and enough to proceed with an open mind, goodwill, and respect. That said, call me a cynic but I give you 2 months before you’re spitting about the locals :)

That area... as a general identifier I think most people would just say Queenstown. (‘between Queenstown and Bukit Merah’ if you want to be a pedant and are talking to a local).

p.s. suggest you edit your post and take out the zip-code. I suspect Google/Search just told me your employer...

ShouldBeFun

Update...

Post by ShouldBeFun » Sat, 30 Nov 2013 8:45 am

Just a little update as you were kind enough to give me advice earlier.

I accepted the position and the company applied for my EP P1 work visa which was accepted in just two days.

Now I've just got to work out when/how, so will probably ask some more dumb questions!

Thanks all!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:29 am

Well done, and good for you!

The rest are mere details, apparently almost insurmountable beforehand, but a cakewalk in the rear-view mirror :)