Singapore Expats

iPad Air - Wifi or Cellular?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:33 am

Naturally nobody is going to fly somewhere just for the sake of picking up an ipad. But if the OP were to travel to/via HK or Australia then picking up an iPad would definitely make sense there.

Getting GST back in Australia is simple. Easier than here in fact and you don't get ripped-off by middle-men.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:16 pm

aster wrote:Naturally nobody is going to fly somewhere just for the sake of picking up an ipad. But if the OP were to travel to/via HK or Australia then picking up an iPad would definitely make sense there.

Getting GST back in Australia is simple. Easier than here in fact and you don't get ripped-off by middle-men.
And now that we've come full-circle, it's still better to get it in Singapore than the UK, which was OP's original question.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 2:16 pm

One thing all other posters have omitted is that the country of purchase / credit card residency determine what you can buy in ipad via itunes.

I would not recommend buying an iPad outside the UK/USA/Australia - the content is next to nothing on Singapore iTunes (apps only - no music or vids in my somewhat dated experience).

I know supposedly you can register them with a non Singpore/HK CC but the process is tedious and not flawless.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 2:52 pm

PNGMK wrote:One thing all other posters have omitted is that the country of purchase / credit card residency determine what you can buy in ipad via itunes.

I would not recommend buying an iPad outside the UK/USA/Australia - the content is next to nothing on Singapore iTunes (apps only - no music or vids in my somewhat dated experience).

I know supposedly you can register them with a non Singpore/HK CC but the process is tedious and not flawless.
No it doesn't, not at all. You can change to the iTunes store for any country you'd like. It is not tied to where you bought the device. It's tied to the address you put into your iTunes account (Apple ID). All you need is a valid address for each. Apple doesn't check IP or anything else. If the credit card you use verifies your billing address (this is a bank thing, not an Apple thing) then you will have to have a valid CC for that country. Pro-tip: You can often call the bank and tell them to not check this; or use an Amex that doesnt belong to a specific bank like DBS. Or just buy iTunes gift cards.

I have three separate accounts I use for three different country's iTunes stores: US, UK, and Singapore. You can even sign in and out of each, and put content from each all on the same iPad. (Settings / iTunes and App Store).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 2:57 pm

And if you have an Apple ID you already like, you can change it like this on your iOS device:

Click on Settings
Click iTunes and App Store
Click your Apple ID
Click View Apple ID
Enter Password
Click Payment information to change your billing address
Click Country/Region to pick the region's store you want to use.

It's probably easier on a computer with iTunes installed:

Open iTunes
Click Store
Click View Account
Same as above, but with a proper keyboard.

Note if you use iTunes Match (most of you probably aren't, or you probably wouldn't have this problem) you can't change without canceling iTunes Match.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:00 pm

zzm9980 wrote:And now that we've come full-circle, it's still better to get it in Singapore than the UK, which was OP's original question.
True. But you were the first to propose HK as an even cheaper option, so I just chipped in with Australia as an even cheaper option than that ($1050 HK, $988 Australia).

Btw, will the Apple store at Changi airport sell to arriving pax? I take it their prices are GST-free? :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 8:21 am

aster wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:And now that we've come full-circle, it's still better to get it in Singapore than the UK, which was OP's original question.
True. But you were the first to propose HK as an even cheaper option, so I just chipped in with Australia as an even cheaper option than that ($1050 HK, $988 Australia).

Btw, will the Apple store at Changi airport sell to arriving pax? I take it their prices are GST-free? :)
Changi doesn't have a real Apple store, so no idea. There isn't one at all in Singapore. What I've noticed with most of those shops is that even if they're GST free, the jack up the prices to eat most of that savings. At least on things like electronics. That said, I did buy a watch and Tumi bag at Changi because it was cheaper than anywhere else in the country.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 9:37 am

I mean the authorised Apple reseller, is iStudio the one at Changi? I think they all keep their prices in line here, so would be surprised if they were pulling any tricks even at the airport. Will definitely check to see how they deal with GST the next time I fly out, and whether it's possible to buy anything upon arrival.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 5:33 pm

aster wrote:I mean the authorised Apple reseller, is iStudio the one at Changi? I think they all keep their prices in line here, so would be surprised if they were pulling any tricks even at the airport. Will definitely check to see how they deal with GST the next time I fly out, and whether it's possible to buy anything upon arrival.
A lot of the resellers pull tricks and charge whatever they want. No guarantee they will give you a better price. I'd be surprised if the reseller in Changi posted lower prices than SG Apple Online Store just because of no GST. I'm guessing they'd match it, and take the difference as profit.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 7:51 pm

I wouldn't be surprised either. :)

I'll jot down the prices of some items before I fly out and do a comparison.