Singapore Expats

Windy Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Windy Singapore

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:44 pm

Does it exist?

I never see a tree branch or leaf quiver (and I overlook perhaps 50 trees).

Is there ever a wind here, the air seems very stagnant?

I am curious, from a meteorological perspective.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Windy Singapore

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:35 pm

JR8 wrote:Does it exist?

When the bus goes by :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:49 pm

Looking at the number of trees that are blown over every month here, I'd say you are in the wrong place.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:07 pm

The good news is that the gloriously windy days are almost upon us. The cooler NE breeze should pick up in earnest this week or perhaps the next. Sure, we still have the Big Wet to endure, a week or 2 of incessant rain, but after that, it'll be a lot windier than the SW monsoon months, especially in the East.

And it will be almost non-stop, day and night, so grab your shampoo bottle from the window ledge.

The bad news is that, by and large, the wind here has been on the decline for years, not only in windy-day frequency, but in average peak power as well. Could be a big picture thing. Could be a local thing. Could be both.

Yeah, we still get some howlers bringing trees down, especially at night it seems, but generally even the average number of decent squalls per year appears to be decreasing.
Last edited by Max Headroom on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:11 pm

You're definitely on the wrong part of Singapore. Singapore can get uncomfortably windy - at least at the areas where I frequent.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah, location makes a difference; I used to live in Bukit Timah and it was unbearably stifling year-round. Hot and ever so still. But the East is way breezier, even during the typically not-so-windy SW monsoon.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 3:21 pm

But the wind never lasts. A short sharp storm to take out a few trees and then back to normal.

Having lived in windy places, Singapore isn't windy. Another plus point. :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 3:44 pm

How did Stamford Raffles and his merry men get here and back? :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 4:30 pm

very long oars? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 5:11 pm

JR8 wrote:Does it exist?

I live in East Coast on a high floor directly facing the strait. I would say roughly 45% of the time the air is hot and stagnant, 45% a very comfortable breeze that allows us to turn off the a/c and open the door and windows, and that last 10% the 1-2 hours before a storm where the breeze is so crazy we have to batten the hatches to keep layers of sand and debris from coating everything.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 5:15 pm

From what I know Singapore has very high concentration of people with sinus problems. Even those houses which are located and have the right alignment to get breezy, they would go and close all the doors and windows.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 6:04 pm

Tell it to the bonnet of my car that still has several dents rippled over it where a branch blew down on it as I drove past.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 7:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote: I live in East Coast on a high floor directly facing the strait. I would say roughly 45% of the time the air is hot and stagnant, 45% a very comfortable breeze that allows us to turn off the a/c and open the door and windows, and that last 10% the 1-2 hours before a storm where the breeze is so crazy we have to batten the hatches to keep layers of sand and debris from coating everything.
Maybe this is it, that there is wind on the fringes, but less/much less in the heartlands. I can't say I've seen a branch, never mind tree, brought down by wind, the idea is almost laughable (hence the original question).

The only time I witness air movement is 'the wind before the storm'. As per this afternoon, a useful 1-minute warning that the climactic dung is about to hit the fan.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 7:10 pm

Any sailor will tell you all you need to know about 'the westerlies', 'the trade windes' and that silly little thing we live in called the ITCZ - intertropical convergence zone.

We get squalls, thunder, lightning, and lots of waterspouts - just not a lot of real wind.

Sad but true...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 8:34 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I live in East Coast on a high floor directly facing the strait. I would say roughly 45% of the time the air is hot and stagnant, 45% a very comfortable breeze that allows us to turn off the a/c and open the door and windows, and that last 10% the 1-2 hours before a storm where the breeze is so crazy we have to batten the hatches to keep layers of sand and debris from coating everything.
Maybe this is it, that there is wind on the fringes, but less/much less in the heartlands. I can't say I've seen a branch, never mind tree, brought down by wind, the idea is almost laughable (hence the original question).

The only time I witness air movement is 'the wind before the storm'. As per this afternoon, a useful 1-minute warning that the climactic dung is about to hit the fan.
I've also noticed various 'wind channels' when walking around through the local neighborhood. The areas between some buildings are like wind tunnels, while others are dead. Maybe your local architecture affects this near you?