Singapore Expats

Relocating from Tokyo

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Worldtravel

Relocating from Tokyo

Post by Worldtravel » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 6:54 pm

Hey guys

I may be relocating to Sing from Tokyo early next year. I would really appreciate your tips, info etc.

My work would be in Goldbell Towers on Scott Road. What's that area like, it is prime business district?

At the moment I live in a very nice 83 sqm apartment near Roppongi (the bar/club/restaurant district). I would like to keep the same time of living ie. nice spacious apartment, views, close to shops/bars/restaurants and transport. It takes me 25 min to get to work everyday. I currently pay around USD3000/3500 per month.

Where do you think I should look in Singapore for apartments to keep that lifestyle?

Should I be looking at condos (not sure I understand the concept) or HBDs, or other?

I don't really need a gym, swimming pool etc. I can get my own gym elsewhere. But I want a high standard apartment with nice views, nice kitchen in a cool area (I like to be in the middle of the action).

Thank you!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Relocating from Tokyo

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 9:15 pm

Worldtravel wrote:Hey guys

I may be relocating to Sing from Tokyo early next year. I would really appreciate your tips, info etc.

My work would be in Goldbell Towers on Scott Road. What's that area like, it is prime business district?

At the moment I live in a very nice 83 sqm apartment near Roppongi (the bar/club/restaurant district). I would like to keep the same time of living ie. nice spacious apartment, views, close to shops/bars/restaurants and transport. It takes me 25 min to get to work everyday. I currently pay around USD3000/3500 per month.

Where do you think I should look in Singapore for apartments to keep that lifestyle?

Should I be looking at condos (not sure I understand the concept) or HBDs, or other?

I don't really need a gym, swimming pool etc. I can get my own gym elsewhere. But I want a high standard apartment with nice views, nice kitchen in a cool area (I like to be in the middle of the action).

Thank you!
Goldbell Towers on Scott Rd would not be a prime business district, it's a bit off of the prime tourist/commercial shopping area, Orchard Rd (the Ginza or maybe Omotesando of SG), and the immediate area of the office is more filled with extremely expensive residential condos and such. The average unit around that area will be at least 50-75% more per month than what you're paying now.

That said, it's right next to a train station (MRT) and 20-25 minute commute window would give you 1/4th to 1/3rd of the island as possible candidates to live in. If you're willing to take taxis for night life, you could find a nice condo in a decent spot for about your budget (maybe a wee bit more, closer to $4000). While rent is a lot higher than Tokyo, taxis are a fraction of the cost. I took a taxi from Roppongi Hills to Tokyo Station the other day, and I reckon I could have almost looped all of Singapore in a taxi for the same price.

Try a website called 'gothere.sg'. It lets you put in a point A and a point B, and then gives you the best route by walking, driving, Train and/or Bus, and taxi fare at various times of the day.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 1:47 am

One thing I would add is that although rent in singapore is higher you will get a lot more space and facilities for your money.

One more thing I learnt when I left jp was make sure you leave before jan 1st. As you know local ku tax is paid in arreas so if you leave before jan 1st you don not have to pay your tax for 2013. If you hand in your gaijin card after jan 1st you will need to pay the full amount. They now deduct this from your pension money if you dont pay..

Worldtravel

Post by Worldtravel » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks guys - what areas do you recommend me to look at considering my criteria?

Do you recommend using a realestate agent or do the research on my own?

vinoh

Post by vinoh » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 1:06 pm

You should do your own initial research to get a rough idea of the asking rental price of the areas which suits your requirements and budget. After you identified the areas, you may want to hire a real estate agent to shortlist, nego, process the legal documents and some agents will also go the extra mile in assisting you in familiarizing with the local culture, law, transportation and areas of interests.

Some recommended areas (but expensive): River Valley area, Novena, Newton, Cairnhill, Holland Village.

There are also quite a few heartland areas worth looking into.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 1:20 pm

vinoh, you are being watched so please do not go an extra mile unless you want to have your account locked.

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Relocating from Tokyo

Post by aster » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 8:37 pm

Worldtravel wrote:At the moment I live in a very nice 83 sqm apartment near Roppongi (the bar/club/restaurant district). I would like to keep the same time of living ie. nice spacious apartment, views, close to shops/bars/restaurants and transport. It takes me 25 min to get to work everyday. I currently pay around USD3000/3500 per month.
I was just there in Roppongi about 3 months back. Only for a few days though. :)

I think you should plan on staying close to Robertson Quay and Clarke Quay over here. Check out the links up top of this forum to look for properties.

Just to give you two examples of places "close to the action" so to speak when it comes to bars/restaurants/clubs, which you mentioned is what you're looking for:

1. Right in Robertson Quay, but on the pricey side, is "The Pier" at Robertson Quay:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/singap ... -ROBERTSON

2. Just across from river from The Pier is River Place which usually offers very good value for this location:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/singap ... IVER-PLACE

You will also notice that lots of expats live in this area. Both Westerners... and Japanese expats, who tend to focus on this area as well. There is even a Meidi-Ya supermarket here (only one in Singapore!) at a Japanese-oriented mall called Liang Court.