Singapore Expats

Renouncing Singapore Citizenship - Urgent help me!

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:51 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:I can give you countless person/s that I have encountered from here and elsewhere . Back when I was working for the Gahmen till recently. From nano scientist to atomic nuclear physicist. Most of them very qualified in their field and almost all are overseas grads from top 20 Unis.
There was even one guy here whom met LHL for deferment when he was visiting MIT. Even that was given literally the "finger".
Back in the 70's and 80's yes it common to get a deferment if you are doing degree locally . Most of us just get a one year disruption after serving NS to cover recruit to OCS training. We came back to finish our NS after getting degree. For those that is on President Scholar too and those that signed up to be a regulars. My former CO Ho Sun Yee a Stanford graduate wanted to do PHD but was denied until he finished his NS obligation . Not sure what happen to that. Even MP sons are not allowed .
Your examples are few and far in between. The norm is "it ain't gonna happen"
And this is why Singapore is destroying it's men..... The period in the late teens to early twenties is when men are often at their best academically and this stupid gahmen makes them walk around in circles while the freaking women get ahead in their careers instead of having babies.
Two years is destroying the Singaporean men? If anything, I'd think two years of military service would develop men far better to take on the rigors of starting one's own business or climbing the ladder in a MNC. Discipline. Maturity. Networking.

And the argument that they are "behind" the women rings hollow. Every year there is a new class of graduates... the age differential argument is meaningless. Companies hire at all ages and skills. 22 or 24 or 26 or 28 for a junior position is meaningless.
This is what I've observed in the work place and socially. As for the poster below the 'shine' could be done with one year NS. Two is over the top.

As for gap years I know just as many promising kids who've destroyed their chances at success by drifting off in their gap years and never going back to Uni.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:11 pm

With 20 years in HR now, here in Singapore, I'm afraid I have to disagree, PNGMK. I'll just agree to disagree, but I find much the same thing that SE said, however, I still find Singapore Males to be 3 or 4 years younger, maturity wise then the female of the species here. Sadly, that doesn't change with or without NS, but NS definitely is NOT the reason there. I more blame the parents with the little Mandarin mindset for that problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:With 20 years in HR now, here in Singapore, I'm afraid I have to disagree, PNGMK. I'll just agree to disagree, but I find much the same thing that SE said, however, I still find Singapore Males to be 3 or 4 years younger, maturity wise then the female of the species here. Sadly, that doesn't change with or without NS, but NS definitely is NOT the reason there. I more blame the parents with the little Mandarin mindset for that problem.

Sure.... so take the 3 to 4 years of hold back that the apron strings cause.... add in the 2 years of delay of joining in the work force that NS brings about and we have kids coming into the work force or going into Uni with the maturity of a 16 year old... sounds about right IME.

Rahil Kapour

Post by Rahil Kapour » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 6:05 pm

ok I cannot renounce before NS but hwo can they not give me NS deferrment as I will finish high school at 18.5yrs and I am required to join NS at 18yrs? They cannot force me to abondon high school?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 6:17 pm

You can get deferment for secondary education (= high school), but not tertiary (= university, college).