Singapore Expats

90%of Angora Fur: Video of Screaming Rabbits being Stripped

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 4:54 pm

I don't think this:
compares to what is used in the industry. Besides, what she does is again very gentle plucking. What OP refers to leaves the rabbits bare skin.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 5:43 pm

I have no idea what you just posted there, but this is the polar opposite of what I had in mind.... :cry: :cry:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 9:10 am

Cool, rabbits with no fur, I bet they look proper funny!

Just for your reference, I am not intentionally cruel to any animal, I don't wear fur, but, I love eating animal flesh.
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 9:26 am

nutnut wrote:Cool, rabbits with no fur, I bet they look proper funny!

Just for your reference, I am not intentionally cruel to any animal, I don't wear fur, but, I love eating animal flesh.
Yeah, like a shaved bird.

More seriously - I'm not 'cruel to animals either'. I've helped raise many species (cows, pigs, fowl etc) and you tend to get a lot more back from them if you give them time and treat them with respect. Don't get me going on emo horses. But you're raising them for a reason... and sometimes you wish you hadn't befriended an animal after all. Friends I have in farming seem to move towards more of an arms-length care and respect, rather than individual affection.

I would wear fur if it were practical (if I lived in Scandinavia etc). If it's a product or by-product of meat, then it would seem reckless and wasteful to discard it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 9:48 am

JR8 wrote:I have no idea what you just posted there, but this is the polar opposite of what I had in mind.... :cry: :cry:
The first picture shows how amateurs do the spinning of the fibers as what you pointed to in the youtube was an amateur. In industry they would not use this simple type of machines so it does not matter that much if the fibres are some 3 mm or so short.
The 2nd picture shows what the OP's post was about. Now compare it with the gentle plucking of your dog. Is it really the same? Do you think rabbits enjoy it?

I am far from this eco-pro-animal-warriors sh*t but c'mon, let's be fair and give it some right dimensions.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:02 am

x9200 wrote: The 2nd picture shows what the OP's post was about. Now compare it with the gentle plucking of your dog. Is it really the same? Do you think rabbits enjoy it?

I am far from this eco-pro-animal-warriors sh*t but c'mon, let's be fair and give it some right dimensions.
The 2nd picture doesn't look like any kind of rabbit I've skinned; for a start the meat is so pale, whereas rabbit meat is usually deeper red (the pic, if anything, more resembles veal, or some kind of sock-puppet in a ladies stocking).
Plus what kind of nutter would be skinning a rabbit before gutting it, and chopping off the head and legs? 'Dressing' a rabbit is pretty simple if you do it the right way, or almost impossible if you do it the wrong way. Your picture is, well, the latter.

p.s. Looking at the pic again, do you think this might be dummy-bunny for practis how to skin super-fass for greatness of the nation? It's not a real rabbit that's for sure.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:14 am

They are not skinned. They just take their fur (hair fibres) and remove it from skin by force. If your hairs are long enough this would be like holding them in one hand, holding your head in another, and pulling them apart till the hairs get separated from your scalp.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 1:55 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote: Do you think rabbits enjoy it?
I don't think we consider or care whether cows, pigs, or rabbits "enjoy" their treatment. The question is whether it is reasonably humane. I don't think the rabbit in the second photo is alive.

Sheep are sheared as well, right?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 5:31 pm

‘>>[quote="x9200"]
They are not skinned. They just take their fur (hair fibres) and remove it from skin by force. If your hairs are long enough this would be like holding them in one hand, holding your head in another, and pulling them apart till the hairs get separated from your scalp.

Is that what that image is, a rabbit being shaved? If so, ok, ‘that’s different’.
Note: I would be most surprised if that rabbit had been hand plucked completely bare... I even wonder if that would be possible. And if so, no, then I certainly don't condone it.

Animal fur can be different to human hair. Many animals have seasonal coats. They partially moult them annually. This is why you can say play with a dog or cat and, for seemingly months a year, end up covered in fur, or (at least with dogs), however if you strip them you can be done with the fur and mess in a single afternoon. As mentioned it does not hurt them one bit, and they seem to enjoy it (IME). On the other hand I don’t think humans have ‘seasonal hair growth’.

‘>>[quote="x9200"]JR8 wrote:
Do you think rabbits enjoy it? ‘

For clarity, X9 wrote the above, and not me.

Horses like a pat, pigs like a scratch, dogs enjoy a vigorous plucking, sheep don’t know what they like (apart from to run around looking half startled, apparently) ...I think. I don’t think rabbits are sentient enough to be conscious of what is happening to them most of the time. On the feedback and scale of 2-way communication we’re rapidly nearing hamsters and pythons :)

Sure, we don’t raise farm animals to entertain them. Treating them humanely is a desirable starting point.
I can’t say I know much about shearing sheep, as where I’m from they’re Sunday lunch way before they get to that stage.[/i]

humphy2

Post by humphy2 » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 6:41 pm

I have a rabbit companion. Rabbits tend not to make too much noise, being prey animals. Screaming indicates extreme pain and fear. They probably thought they were going to die (and truly it would have been more merciful if they did), and were trying to warn other rabbits.

Rabbits do molt, as mine does, about 3 times a year, so it is actually possible get fur off of them without causing them harm, but that's not what happened in that video.

I eat meat, I fish, and have killed certain animals for food, but don't believe in senseless cruelty.

All this for fashion? NO.

humphy2

Post by humphy2 » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 6:54 pm

Rabbits are highly intelligent and sensitive.

Mine has been trained to open a door if he wants a treat, and he knows how to ask for food and/ or water. He knows how to ask for a pet and I've learnt how to ask for a "rabbit pet" in return. He toilet trained himself and has shown a range of emotions from happiness (binkies), content (chattering of teeth), annoyance (kicking of hind legs) to caution (stamping of foot). He also understands a handful of words.

Rabbits are largely misunderstood animals and most pet abuses come in the form of neglect because people tend to treat them like oversized hamsters.

They are much more.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 6:59 pm

humphy2 wrote:
They are much more.
I agree. I have a standing order at our local rabbit/chinchilla dealer that anybody who wants to abandon their rabbits, I will take them free of charge. They are excellent either stewed or breaded like chicken and deep fried.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 9:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
humphy2 wrote:
They are much more.
I agree. I have a standing order at our local rabbit/chinchilla dealer that anybody who wants to abandon their rabbits, I will take them free of charge. They are excellent either stewed or breaded like chicken and deep fried.
And a nice glass of red wine!

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 9:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
humphy2 wrote:
They are much more.
And a nice glass of red wine!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:31 pm

^^This! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers