Singapore Expats

Samsung S4 v HTC one - battery issues

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Samsung S4 v HTC one - battery issues

Post by bloodhound123 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:36 pm

I am looking at buying an android smartphone. I am inclining towards buying HTC but seeing quite a few people complaining about its battery performance and issues with battery in general. S4's battery is replaceable whereas HTC's is not. Any recommendations or experiences with these 2 models ?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 6:15 am

What are your priorities in a phone?

Eg.

* expandable storage
* replaceable battery
* amount of unwanted software
* build quality
* camera quality
* "hackability"
* overall user experience

Some things to consider:

* Samsung's "android" is a different from HTC's "android" (touchwiz vs sense)
* There's also Google experience versions of these phones (from the US only at the moment, though) which has Google's pure android.
* The Nexus 5 just came out; HTC and Samsung's new offerings will be out in few months
* it'll be difficult to just ask which people think is better because a lot of people tend to become too religious about these things.
* On the flipside, mostly unbiased reviews would also be available. I recommend MKBHD.
S4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXmzpFoHkfA
HTC One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF75-HPdUfY
* mobile chargers are available which work on 99% of phones. Just google "ingress mobile charger recommendations"
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Re: Samsung S4 v HTC one - battery issues

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 8:14 am

bloodhound123 wrote:I am looking at buying an android smartphone. I am inclining towards buying HTC but seeing quite a few people complaining about its battery performance and issues with battery in general. S4's battery is replaceable whereas HTC's is not. Any recommendations or experiences with these 2 models ?
So if you were able to replace the battery you could replace it with a better battery than this one supplied by the manufacturer? I see no logic in it unless you talk about a post-guaranty period.
I have a simple HTC and no problems with battery at all. On top of it, if people say there are problems with the battery, it typically means they fail to see the link between the local signal strength and the battery life.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 9:52 am

I do not know about the HTC One. But I did have the HTC One X, its predecessor, and the battery life on that one was really short. I had to regularly charge 2x per day. I heard the HTC One improved on that, but personally would still be iffy. On the plus side, it looked gorgeous and the display was fantastic. :)

I have now changed to padfone infinity, which has great battery life so far, but ASUS is lousy at updating the phone's software.

Unless looks are more important to you, I'd go with S4 frankly out of bad experience ;)

And to add on to x9200's point: Unless you spend upwards of $40 for a replacement battery, the quality of that battery is most likely going to be worse than what is shipped with the phone. As such, I would not put /too/ much weight to replaceable battery anymore.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:07 am

Nak - I read several tech blogs comparing these 2 device and I am inclining towards HTC one.

X9200 - I was referring to the post warranty period. More than the battery life there are references to battery malfunctioning as well. Not that S4 does not have any. The overall user experience points with regards to battery for HTC one seems lower than s4 .

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:18 am

bloodhound123 wrote:Nak - I read several tech blogs comparing these 2 device and I am inclining towards HTC one.

X9200 - I was referring to the post warranty period. More than the battery life there are references to battery malfunctioning as well. Not that S4 does not have any. The overall user experience points with regards to battery for HTC one seems lower than s4 .
The HTC One's a good phone and I haven't heard anything glaringly bad about it. If you're worried about battery life, as in how long you'll last on a single charge, you could always tweak the OS or your apps so as not to suck up juice. I hear there is a power saver mode somewhere in there so you could activate it if you get the phone.

And to reiterate, you can always get a mobile charger. Not as sleek as a replacement battery but at least you don't have to open a phone. And you can use it for other devices as well.

@AngMoG: one X and the one are different beasts.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:21 am

For a record, I have HTV One V (the cheapest I could get with my plan renewal) and the battery life is typically 5-7 days but I use it as a telephone (wifi off, BT off).