Singapore Expats

PEP and expired passport

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 9:26 am

ecureilx wrote:
AngMoG wrote:^^This.

Most countries (SG being no exception, to my knowledge) require foreigners to have a valid passport while staying or living in their country. ....
I may butt in and say, from what I know .. that applies to almost ALL countries, except a couple of countries that allow you to stay on Residency permit without passport .. once you have entered ..
This is true and it depends on the inter country relationship. For example Indians dont need to have a passport to travel to Nepal, some sort of identity is enough. But that doesnt mean other countries citizens can go to Nepal without passport.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 9:40 am

Wd40, I once left my EP at home, which I only realized while going through Changi immigration, on my way to Europe. The official told me off a bit, but let me through, adding that I may have some exthplining to do on my way back in. I guess it's on their discretion sort of thing.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 9:47 am

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an add on, you can use your PEP to enter and exit the country without your passport as long as your fingerprints are registered (which they will be if it's a laminated PEP card). However, as the PEP is machine readable, it will also instantly call up the ICAs records which will show your nationality and your foreign travel document's expiry date. If the date has expired, you will not be allowed back into the country on the PEP card without another valid travel document. You will have to get a new passport while outside of the country and come in on that new Passport and then go to ICA/MOM and have the PEP registered document.
I thought it is the other way around. If you are an EP/PEP holder you can enter/exit the country with your passport and without the EP/PEP card. There is an automated immigration channel for residents(including EP holders) where you need to scan your passport. I have seen this while entering the country. But not sure while leaving Singapore.
Yup, that's how it is. Your primary document is your passport, which you need to enter and exit the country (and indeed, to check in at the airport). Without it, I think there would be major difficulties in leaving, and no way to come back in. (As you would require a valid passport for that.)

The EP/PEP is required on entry and exit, but it should be possible to enter/exit without - after all, it is in their records. However, it is up to the immigration officers to show leniency in that case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:38 am

Max Headroom wrote:Wd40, I once left my EP at home, which I only realized while going through Changi immigration, on my way to Europe. The official told me off a bit, but let me through, adding that I may have some exthplining to do on my way back in. I guess it's on their discretion sort of thing.
err .. previously I have left my EP at home many times .. and the ICA people do have all the info once they scan the passport .. (if your passport is machine readable .. ) and those who get asked for EP was those who had machine non-readable passport, to scan the EP to get the info ..

though there is somewhere in ICA site that says "you should have this with your passport .."

AngMoG Is correct in that respect .. :)