Singapore Expats

Returning MOM looking out for job opportunity in IT field

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bimala0507

Returning MOM looking out for job opportunity in IT field

Post by bimala0507 » Fri, 15 Nov 2013 1:50 pm

Hi:

We are from Bangalore and moved to Singapore since April 2010.We have applied for PR since last july 2013. We are quite hopeful this time.

Right now I am in DP. I would like to go back to full time work and I am looking out for Opportunity in IT field (Data warehousing domain SAP BW consultant). However I am not getting a single interview call, I have been trying for last 1 years ( both part time and full time). I am constantly upgrading my skillsets too, but no hope. I was told that, because of my Visa status or may be career gap.
Can anyone suggest me anything in this regard. Appreciate, if someone can provides contacts of some career consultant who can help me.

I would like to get in touch with similar people like me to seek their guidance or advice in this regard.

Regards,

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 15 Nov 2013 2:01 pm

bimala0507 wrote:Hi:

We are from Bangalore and moved to Singapore since April 2010.We have applied for PR since last july 2013. We are quite hopeful this time.

Right now I am in DP. I would like to go back to full time work and I am looking out for Opportunity in IT field (Data warehousing domain SAP BW consultant). However I am not getting a single interview call, I have been trying for last 1 years ( both part time and full time). I am constantly upgrading my skillsets too, but no hope. I was told that, because of my Visa status or may be career gap.
Can anyone suggest me anything in this regard. Appreciate, if someone can provides contacts of some career consultant who can help me.

I would like to get in touch with similar people like me to seek their guidance or advice in this regard.

Regards,
Sorry to burst your bubble, but with you out of work and both only here for 2.5 years, you probably won't get PR.

With DP, you can work on LOC (letter of consent) basis. Check the MoM site for details. You may have to educate potential employers about this, and make it very clear on your resume.

Other than that, I cannot say much, since you did not share any information about your qualifications or experience.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 15 Nov 2013 3:06 pm

Regarding SAP BW, its a bit tricky. From my experience, what I have found is that companies often more open to take trailing spouses for generic IT skills at the junior levels, for example if you had skills like Java, .net etc, it would be much easier to get a job on LOC for low salaries like 3.5K and lesser.

The thing about SAP BW is that it is very niche and if you do get a job, you will be paid very well(atleast 6k and sometimes 8k as well) and have an EP of your own, its just that the skill is so niche and jobs are few. Just keep trying hard and my suggestion is be open to other more generic technologies or testing etc and you should be able to get a job.

Couple of friends's wifes recently got jobs on LoCs. One got in IT recruitment industry and she didn't even have prior experience. Another got a job in the media industry.