Singapore Expats

Assam Rape Festival

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Assam Rape Festival

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 2:15 pm

Looks like a US Satire site has really gone over the edge this time. But, if you think about it. India deserves something like this considering the number of Gang Rapes in the country on a monthly basis.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 398795.cms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Assam Rape Festival

Post by the lynx » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 3:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Looks like a US Satire site has really gone over the edge this time. But, if you think about it. India deserves something like this considering the number of Gang Rapes in the country on a monthly basis.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 398795.cms
Good lord. We will see the same furore equal to The Onion's "readers".

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 4:20 pm

Now that's some pretty rough satire... :twisted:

The sad part is many people don't get it, according to the comments. Or that they even believe it can be true. The last paragraph is a dead give-away (if the story itself isn't clear enough on that), but checking the other articles on the site should also make pretty clear what kind of site it is ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 4:45 pm

AngMoG wrote:Now that's some pretty rough satire... :twisted:

The sad part is many people don't get it, according to the comments. Or that they even believe it can be true. The last paragraph is a dead give-away (if the story itself isn't clear enough on that), but checking the other articles on the site should also make pretty clear what kind of site it is ;)
The problem is culturally many on this half of the world just don't comprehend sarcasm or satire. Then some of those that do ('well educated' young Singaporeans I knew) actually talked down on Americans for using sarcasm like it was a horrendous thing.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 6:39 am

I understand and enjoy satire, but this is totally over the line. I saw this a few days ago, and sent a note to the organization forwarding it to me - they quickly deleted it from their site.

IMHO, rape is not something to joke about - ever, and the situation in India is DEFINITELY not something that should be satirized - or at least not right now while the psychic wounds are so fresh.

So, I'm going to give some of the responding posters to this particular publication the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they were as outraged as I….Or at least I hope that was the case….

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:23 am

Well, I am outraged by the amount of rapes that really happen in India. The satire keeps in in the public discussion.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:03 am

AngMoG wrote:Now that's some pretty rough satire... :twisted:
The job of satire is not to be SO obvious that everyone in the world understands the joke. Indeed, in such a case the joke likely wouldn’t be funny (consider: Mr. Bean, just, if humanly possible, even less funny). If ‘they’ don’t get it, tough luck, they are not the intended audience.

zzm9980 wrote:The problem is culturally many on this half of the world just don't comprehend sarcasm or satire. Then some of those that do ('well educated' young Singaporeans I knew) actually talked down on Americans for using sarcasm like it was a horrendous thing.
Correct. And the audience for the joke isn’t them either. So the wailing and flapping is ... well, it just makes them look a bit silly IMHO. That in itself is quite amusing.

uscate wrote:I understand and enjoy satire, but this is totally over the line. I saw this a few days ago, and sent a note to the organization forwarding it to me - they quickly deleted it from their site. IMHO, rape is not something to joke about - ever, and the situation in India is DEFINITELY not something that should be satirized - or at least not right now while the psychic wounds are so fresh. So, I'm going to give some of the responding posters to this particular publication the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they were as outraged as I….Or at least I hope that was the case….
What ‘line’, your personal line? I’m not sure who should be allowed to define the boundaries of ‘permissible satire’, as that would stand shoulder to shoulder next to censorship, control of the press/media, and so on. You’re American (?), but pro state control of the media right? [I lost track of things at the ‘psychic wounds’ bit, btw].

I don’t see anyone joking about rape. I see people satirising India’s ambivalence towards it’s rape statistics.

Chantikki wrote:Well, I am outraged by the amount of rapes that really happen in India. The satire keeps in in the public discussion.
There you go, I agree.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:16 am

Line of the week .....
(consider: Mr. Bean, just, if humanly possible, even less funny).

Jimmy Carr/Lee Evans could also have been used instead of Mr Bean

[/quote]
Life is short, paddle harder!!

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 6:38 pm

You’re American (?), YES
but pro state control of the media right? NO

Honestly JR8, after reading your numerous posts, I think you like to stir the pot, so all I can say is I disagree with you, but have no desire to beat this horse.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 6:58 pm

Oh.

I thought you might say what you disagreed with.

No? No clues?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 7:12 pm

A guy like this isn't helping why a rape festival was used in satire:

[quote]The director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Ranjit Sinha, on Tuesday made out a case for legalising betting in sports, arguing “if you can’t prevent rape, enjoy it”
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 7:53 pm

It's just amazing, so neanderthal. It's good that the satire brought this to wider attention.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:05 pm

JR8 wrote:It's just amazing, so neanderthal. It's good that the satire brought this to wider attention.
A Texas gubernatorial candidate said essentially the same thing in 1990.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/26/us/te ... furor.html

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 9:12 pm

Americans and sarcastic humour - is that not an oxymoron?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:17 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:Americans and sarcastic humour - is that not an oxymoron?
No, Americans and humour. That was the oxymoron.

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”