Singapore Expats

TAFEP Guidelines Prevents PRs from Finding Local Employment?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:25 am

the lynx wrote:
IronMac wrote:Library membership? Better fork out the $$$.
My biggest peeve here in Singapore.
Ha! You and me both!

I was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw the sign at the library. I'm from Toronto where we have the biggest public library system in Canada and one that rivals any in the US. I can take out a ton of books and have inter-library loans free of charge.

If you want to upgrade your citizenry's skills and have a literate, info-centric society you should not be putting up barriers on your library system. Edit: oh wait...how ironic that I used the word "citizenry"...as a PR, we're not expected to improve ourselves...right...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:48 am

They have to do it that way, otherwise, they would have a library building without any books inside as they would all be just covers as the pages would be ripped out by students who don't appreciate free services except to take advantage of them. What to do? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:56 am

IronMac wrote:
the lynx wrote:
IronMac wrote:Library membership? Better fork out the $$$.
My biggest peeve here in Singapore.
Ha! You and me both!

I was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw the sign at the library. I'm from Toronto where we have the biggest public library system in Canada and one that rivals any in the US. I can take out a ton of books and have inter-library loans free of charge.

If you want to upgrade your citizenry's skills and have a literate, info-centric society you should not be putting up barriers on your library system. Edit: oh wait...how ironic that I used the word "citizenry"...as a PR, we're not expected to improve ourselves...right...
I rely on services of the 'citizenry' to help me borrow the books I want there.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They have to do it that way, otherwise, they would have a library building without any books inside as they would all be just covers as the pages would be ripped out by students who don't appreciate free services except to take advantage of them. What to do? :???:
Those people can still rip the pages off the books IN the library if they really want to. No need to go through the borrowing hassle.

goggoberri

Post by goggoberri » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:59 am

You need to wonder if the singapore government is making the right moves by pandering to an increasingly vocal xenophobic section of the populace. For a start by reducing the gap between PR and EP, the govt itself is devaluing the PR. End result, people will be wary of making long term commitment to singapore.

Secondly by making mid level and low level jobs, exclusively for singaporeans, you will end up with 90% of foreigners left here making a ton of money and a majority of the locals in middle class jobs. (My definition of middle class jobs is >$60k and < $100k pa salary) Result is a more wider gap between the locals and foreigners and yet more resentment with foreigners living in condos and driving cars while the average middle class singaporean is living in an HDB and having to make do with public transport. This would be a powder keg just waiting to explode.

Thirdly with the reduction of foreign workers in low-level jobs, you wonder who would do the jobs that singaporeans don't want. Construction, cleaning, Low-level maintenance, Retail jobs, F&B wait staff, Front line Customer services. All jobs which have nearly 0% of singaporeans. Will employers hire singaporeans (if they even show up for such jobs) or will they overwork their underpaid foreign workers to take up the slack?

And finally once the industries do not find enough skilled local resources to take up key roles that don't pay enough to justify hiring a foreigner, and they start looking at alternate locations like Jakarta, KL, HK etc, will the government step in to fill the gap in number of jobs lost?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 5:49 am

goggoberri wrote:You need to wonder if the singapore government is making the right moves by pandering to an increasingly vocal xenophobic section of the populace. For a start by reducing the gap between PR and EP, the govt itself is devaluing the PR. End result, people will be wary of making long term commitment to singapore.

Secondly by making mid level and low level jobs, exclusively for singaporeans, you will end up with 90% of foreigners left here making a ton of money and a majority of the locals in middle class jobs. (My definition of middle class jobs is >$60k and < $100k pa salary) Result is a more wider gap between the locals and foreigners and yet more resentment with foreigners living in condos and driving cars while the average middle class singaporean is living in an HDB and having to make do with public transport. This would be a powder keg just waiting to explode.

Thirdly with the reduction of foreign workers in low-level jobs, you wonder who would do the jobs that singaporeans don't want. Construction, cleaning, Low-level maintenance, Retail jobs, F&B wait staff, Front line Customer services. All jobs which have nearly 0% of singaporeans. Will employers hire singaporeans (if they even show up for such jobs) or will they overwork their underpaid foreign workers to take up the slack?

And finally once the industries do not find enough skilled local resources to take up key roles that don't pay enough to justify hiring a foreigner, and they start looking at alternate locations like Jakarta, KL, HK etc, will the government step in to fill the gap in number of jobs lost?
TLDNR but I don't agree.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 8:35 am

goggoberri wrote:Thirdly with the reduction of foreign workers in low-level jobs, you wonder who would do the jobs that singaporeans don't want. Construction, cleaning, Low-level maintenance, Retail jobs, F&B wait staff, Front line Customer services. All jobs which have nearly 0% of singaporeans. Will employers hire singaporeans (if they even show up for such jobs) or will they overwork their underpaid foreign workers to take up the slack?
This will be the only area that the gahmen won't touch. They are more than happy to let 'cheap' 'third-world' foreigners to do 'cheap' 'third-world' jobs that locals themselves loathe. Not to mention dangerous.

Have a poor Bangladeshi construction worker die in a work-related accident and the least thing to be done is to send the poor man in a proper coffin back to home country and pay nominal compensation to his dependants, while evading TWC2's efforts to fight for more rights for these people. Try switching a Singaporean into this equation and you will see public flogging of both gahmen and construction industry in massive proportion.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 8:48 am

^^ Spot On.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers