Singapore Expats

Courses to Take up

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sveltfla

Courses to Take up

Post by Sveltfla » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:36 pm

Hi.. I am new to Singapore .. Its been 2 months here.. I have work exp of 3 yrs in the field of HR. Getting a job with a dependent pass is difficult.. So I am planning to take up some course which will benefit me.. Kindly suggest me some courses...:):)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 1:46 pm

SHRI?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sveltfla

Post by Sveltfla » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 3:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:SHRI?
Yes I ve heard about it and the accreditation they give.. How far is the accreditation useful.. and what is the benefit of getting HR Accreditation?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 5:05 pm

SHRI are looked at favourably here in Singapore. How it's looked upon elsewhere is anybody's guess. But looking at it from a foreign perspective, especially one who is here on a DP, having a local certification means at the least, you will be up to date in the ways of HR "as it is practiced in Singapore". I'm not going to go any further than that, other than HR departments are notoriously bad and unprofessional in most SMEs here. MNCs fare a little bit better but a lot are still not up to international standards by my way of thinking. But it will show that you will at least hit the ground running.

No, I'm not accredited by SHRI or any other organization, but I do have 20 years of experience in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sveltfla

Post by Sveltfla » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 3:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:SHRI are looked at favourably here in Singapore. How it's looked upon elsewhere is anybody's guess. But looking at it from a foreign perspective, especially one who is here on a DP, having a local certification means at the least, you will be up to date in the ways of HR "as it is practiced in Singapore". I'm not going to go any further than that, other than HR departments are notoriously bad and unprofessional in most SMEs here. MNCs fare a little bit better but a lot are still not up to international standards by my way of thinking. But it will show that you will at least hit the ground running.

No, I'm not accredited by SHRI or any other organization, but I do have 20 years of experience in Singapore.
SO what is the possibility of getting a job here in the HR field with a DP..!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 4:11 pm

Possible. But you will not see anything near expat wages, let alone any benefits. You might have to learn a bit about the Letter of Consent so that you can sell it to an employer. Lot's of HRs don't have a clue about LoCs although they are getting better today than 5 years ago. Remember, if you are looking at the LoC, they will know that you are already covered, perk wise, by the spouses package and they will know that you want to work but theoretically don't need to. They will gauge their offer based on that knowledge and it can be a bit of a "sticker shock" what they will offer. You will need to be able to really bring something to the table.

I'd try to get 'em to go for an EP and then maybe settle for the LoC when/if the EP isn't granted. Only my thoughts.

Sveltfla

Post by Sveltfla » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Possible. But you will not see anything near expat wages, let alone any benefits. You might have to learn a bit about the Letter of Consent so that you can sell it to an employer. Lot's of HRs don't have a clue about LoCs although they are getting better today than 5 years ago. Remember, if you are looking at the LoC, they will know that you are already covered, perk wise, by the spouses package and they will know that you want to work but theoretically don't need to. They will gauge their offer based on that knowledge and it can be a bit of a "sticker shock" what they will offer. You will need to be able to really bring something to the table.

I'd try to get 'em to go for an EP and then maybe settle for the LoC when/if the EP isn't granted. Only my thoughts.
Thank you :)