Singapore Expats

Need help regarding LTVP and relocating to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Tchronos

Need help regarding LTVP and relocating to Singapore

Post by Tchronos » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 5:30 pm

Hi everyone in SingaporeExpats,

I plan to relocate to Singapore and have done already quite a bit of research. However, there are many points I am still unsure of.
If possible, please help me clarify my doubts.

Here is some information about myself.
I am a Thai PhD student living in Japan.
I hold bachelor and master degree from NUS.
I also hold another master degree and on track of receiving a PhD degree from a top university in Japan.

I will be married to my SPR fiancé in Singapore in January 2014 and fly back to Japan mid-February. She earns around S$7k and owns a condominium in Singapore.

After my graduation, I plan to permanently relocate to Singapore in April 2014. Currently, I have no job offer from Singapore and will probably start looking for job in Singapore after I move.

I have some questions regarding relocating to Singapore.

1) Is it correct to say that I have to apply for LTVP not Dependent Pass?

2) Do I have to be in Singapore after I submit my application for LTVP? Currently, I plan to apply for LTVP before I fly back to Japan in February. If that is not possible or not advisable, I plan to apply for LTVP once I relocate to Singapore in April instead.

3) I understand that I cannot work in Singapore with LTVP. Is it possible for me to look for work while holding LTVP and apply for Employment pass afterward once I can find an employer to sponsor my EP?

4) I read about many horrible stories about LTVP rejection in the forum. Can you tell me how likely my application will be approved based on my profile?

5) I plan to ship my household effects (only textbook, toy, and clothing) from Japan to our condominium in Singapore. It should arrive in Singapore around the end of April or early May. Do I require LTVP or any kind of pass to ship my household item to Singapore?

6) I found this quote written on many shipping website – “Shipper must declared “used value”

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Need help regarding LTVP and relocating to Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 7:51 pm

[quote="Tchronos"]Hi everyone in SingaporeExpats,

I plan to relocate to Singapore and have done already quite a bit of research. However, there are many points I am still unsure of.
If possible, please help me clarify my doubts.

Here is some information about myself.
I am a Thai PhD student living in Japan.
I hold bachelor and master degree from NUS.
I also hold another master degree and on track of receiving a PhD degree from a top university in Japan.

I will be married to my SPR fiancé in Singapore in January 2014 and fly back to Japan mid-February. She earns around S$7k and owns a condominium in Singapore.

After my graduation, I plan to permanently relocate to Singapore in April 2014. Currently, I have no job offer from Singapore and will probably start looking for job in Singapore after I move.

I have some questions regarding relocating to Singapore.

1) Is it correct to say that I have to apply for LTVP not Dependent Pass?

Correct.

2) Do I have to be in Singapore after I submit my application for LTVP? Currently, I plan to apply for LTVP before I fly back to Japan in February. If that is not possible or not advisable, I plan to apply for LTVP once I relocate to Singapore in April instead.

You need to be here to apply for the LTVP. However, it's not necessary to be here until it is approved. You then have to be here for the finalization of the LTVP. Or, you can wait until such time as you arrive here permanently.

3) I understand that I cannot work in Singapore with LTVP. Is it possible for me to look for work while holding LTVP and apply for Employment pass afterward once I can find an employer to sponsor my EP?

Your understanding is correct.

4) I read about many horrible stories about LTVP rejection in the forum. Can you tell me how likely my application will be approved based on my profile?

With your education, I foresee no problems at all, frankly speaking.

5) I plan to ship my household effects (only textbook, toy, and clothing) from Japan to our condominium in Singapore. It should arrive in Singapore around the end of April or early May. Do I require LTVP or any kind of pass to ship my household item to Singapore?

Not to sure on this. So I'll let somebody else answer that.

6) I found this quote written on many shipping website – “Shipper must declared “used value”
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 8:59 pm

Heavens, that’s a formidable post there! I’ll have a go at a few points...

1) Yes LTVP. As DP is a dependent of a work pass holder, not a citizen. Note you can apply for LTVP+ that, if granted, gives a right to work.
2) Not that I’m aware of. After you file, if approved you’ll have to visit ICA for ‘completion of formalities’.
3) Refer 1). The second part of your question = yes.
4) You don’t mention age, nationality, race, income. There is no answer...
5) No. Send it to yourself, AND/or your wife/fiancee. Matters not.
6) They’re interested not in ‘Replacement Value’, but what you could sell it for, i.e. what it’s actually worth. When you think about it (esp when you have to pay an insurance premium on it!), a lot of what you own is worth toot-all to anyone else.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 9:07 pm

LTVP+ is currently not an option for him as his fiancee is a SPR.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:31 pm

JR8, that the 2nd time you've been caught out on the LTVP+ thing with PR's. Speed reading again? I tend to miss the difference between SPR and SGC as well on occasion. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tchronos

Post by Tchronos » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:35 am

I really appreciate sundaymorningstaple, JR8, and bro75 for helping me get better understanding of the process.??Thank you very much. :)