Singapore Expats

Typhoon relief help from Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
FelineUK
Regular
Regular

Typhoon relief help from Singapore?

Post by FelineUK » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 7:46 am

Like everyone, I am seeing the huge devastation that the typhoon that has hit the Philipines in the last few days with horror. I am wanting to help and know that being in Singapore we are close enough to get relief over to the Philippines probably quicker than other places in the world. So where is doing something to collect food and money from Singapore?

I want to donate, or buy bags of rice or give something to help! It's got to get over there asap, they really need help but when i try and look for things online the assistance instructions i find are a couple of years old... Surely someone somewhere in Singapore is organising and trying to get a food drive / donations sorted?

Please share any info you know here so people can help or do i really have to donate through the UK that things set up already?

FelineUK
Regular
Regular

Post by FelineUK » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 7:52 am

The Singapore Red Cross are doing something but they are not accepting food or clothes, just donations... WHAT?

http://www.redcross.org.sg/press_releas ... yan-relief

I am still looking for an active place for charitable donations / food drive. I am so disappointed. It seems the UK have a quicker set up and i would have thought here would have been first and best!

Please share what you know.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 8:37 am

The PinoySG group is doing collective drive for canned goods, clothes etc at Lucky Plaza.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 9:19 am

morenangpinay asked me if I could post it on the forum via FB last night but only saw a notification of it on my phone as I crashed in the sack. Looks like you beat me to it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:44 am

I find it derisory and a little insulting the Singapore government donates a whopping S$50,000 and one rescue team.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

FelineUK
Regular
Regular

Post by FelineUK » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:45 am

Ok I never had any luck searching for what is on in Singapore. I have therefore gone to the source and donated to Red Cross Philipines who can accept online donations by the way!

http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate.php

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:08 am

FelineUK wrote:Ok I never had any luck searching for what is on in Singapore. I have therefore gone to the source and donated to Red Cross Philipines who can accept online donations by the way!

http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate.php
That's alright actually.

On one hand, donating money is one of most pragmatic things when it comes to charity but the concerns of corruption along the money line (especially in this part of the world) will continue to be a gnawing bit. I suppose Red Cross is the most secure channel for monetary donations.

On another hand, donating goods can be an oxymoron. You see, all infrastructure and resources are down all over the affected region. Donating, say, instant noodles, would be a bad idea because they already do not have enough clean water to drink, let alone to cook (although for survival, crunchy noodles are sufficient). The same goes for other canned goods and milk powder. In addition, the logistics required to carry all donated items from Singapore to Philippines and the biggest chew of all is carrying the goods to ground zero.

Just putting it out there so that all well-meaning donors know how to help better in situations like this.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ation.html
There is one simple way that people who want to help can help. Donate money—not teddy bears, not old shoes, not breast milk. Give money to organizations that have worked in the affected areas before the storm—they will be more likely to know and be able to navigate the local context and may be able to respond faster, as it won’t take them time to set up. Give money to agencies that are able to articulate what the actual needs are and transparently tell you how they are responding. Give money to agencies that are procuring items locally to help the rebuild the economy. Give money to agencies that are working with the government to ensure that their response is aligned with the national response.

The Philippines has a highly developed civil society sector and effective government disaster response authority. Although Typhoon Haiyan has overwhelmed local capacity for now, their local efforts should be supported. The Philippines Red Cross has already worked to rescue individuals and deliver lifesaving goods to people in hard-to-reach places. Other Philippine-based organizations such as Community and Family Services International and the Philippine Red Cross will know the local needs and how best to respond.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:19 am

hi guys thanks for the help
Thanks Sms and lynx!I was not sure if it was allowed to post any activities like that here

Thankfully my family is safe and was not affected but the areas affected were heartbreaking to watch on the news.

They need :
- water
-canned goods (easy to open type)
-blankets
-medicines
-body bags
-ready to eat food (no water so those not requiring cooking or water). donation of old clothes is discouraged as it is prohibited under DSWD AO No. 06-2010.

aside from the donation drive of pinoysg.com, you may inquire with the
the Philippine Bayanihan Society (Singapore) for this purpose through the following contact details by phone at +6564743700; fax at: +6564722350 or by email at: [email protected].

other sites for donation are:

Thanks felineuk and the others who have given their time, prayers and donations. Thanks again friends for the help

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:49 am

A lot of corporates are donating through International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).

You can use Ammado to channel the payments across to them.
It seems to be a reliance source to channel donations since so many MNC's are using them.

https://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/ifrc
https://www.ammado.com/community/142629

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:09 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I find it derisory and a little insulting the Singapore government donates a whopping S$50,000 and one rescue team.
I guess they got a few razzberries over that as I see they have now donated an additional 150K to up it to 200K.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:17 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I find it derisory and a little insulting the Singapore government donates a whopping S$50,000 and one rescue team.
Well it has been increased to $200k - what a joke !!
This place preaches about being a first world state and makes a derisory contribution like that. As usual the UK is one of the first to act - $20m of immediate aid with the promise of more. Well done guys !

For a country like Singapore which is so dependant on Philippino workers expecially maids it is quite frankly embarrassing. I bet most of the maids won't be granted leave by families or given help to get home to support their families. The government should be sending food supplies and resources. What better way for some of their Armed Forces to get some experience in the field and put ttheir training into practice ? Send some of them to help along with members of the Civil Defence. They have some of the best equipment here right on the doorstep.

Crazy !
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:59 pm

Travailes wrote:
This place preaches about being a first world state and makes a derisory contribution like that. As usual the UK is one of the first to act - $20m of immediate aid with the promise of more. Well done guys !

For a country like Singapore which is so dependant on Philippino workers expecially maids it is quite frankly embarrassing. I bet most of the maids won't be granted leave by families or given help to get home to support their families. The government should be sending food supplies and resources. What better way for some of their Armed Forces to get some experience in the field and put ttheir training into practice ? Send some of them to help along with members of the Civil Defence. They have some of the best equipment here right on the doorstep.

Crazy !
Was looking for a place to also say something along those lines yesterday, didn't want to start a whole thread about it ;)

It is really embarrassing that they only give this little, especially considering how many Filipinos are supporting their economy here. This is an insult to those hit by this typhoon. I think even UAE gave several million USD. And quite right - SG could easily give quite a bit more money, plus manpower to match, from the army.

Nonetheless, even so, you see SG keyboard warriors complaining about it, and posting truly disgusting comments on the online news sites (I won't repeat them here, you know where to find them).

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 1:39 pm

Google has crisis response centre to locate missing person.

http://www.google.org/crisisresponse/2013-yolanda.html

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 1:55 pm

Travailes wrote:

Crazy !
UK also sending a ship with helicopter and the equipment to turn sea water into drinking water. along with a Hercules C130 for moving equipment and food about.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 3:17 pm

Barnsley wrote: UK also sending a ship with helicopter and the equipment to turn sea water into drinking water. along with a Hercules C130 for moving equipment and food about.

It is this mentality that truly shows a country has and is 'developed'. The mind set is basically right, even if local politics is not. When help is needed for pure survival, life and death situations, truth shines.

There are many things wrong with the UK and others, for example, but acts like this show there are also many things right about the place.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE