Singapore Expats

Condo considerations and areas for couple w/no kids

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
mkateh

Condo considerations and areas for couple w/no kids

Post by mkateh » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 4:27 pm

Hi all - First off, I've read lots of the useful threads throughout the forum, and it's been a great resource. Thanks for everyone who takes the time to contribute their experiences and insight! Of course things change over time, and new opinions are always around so I thought it would be worthwhile to dive into a few of the questions I'm mulling over.

BACKGROUND - My boyfriend and I are moving in January and both set with jobs for which the EP shouldn't be a problem, so I'm mostly focused on where to live and quality of life. For background, I'm a bit shy of 30, American girl and he's shy of 40 and basically a life-long expat with family in the UK. We're unmarried, no kids, and no plans for such at this point. Our jobs are around Club Street. The bf would like to run to work. I would like an easy MRT or bus commute (20 mins or less would be ideal, but up to 30 mins not bad).

- We've looked a bit around Clarke Quay, River Valley, etc. Is this a good spot for two incomes, no kids?
- what are areas that will be nice condos with a mix of folks living there and not all families?
- we've heard the market is soft now and negotiating can lead to good results. What's a reasonable discount to factor in? For example, if we are happy paying 5k a month, should we look at places up to 6k?

The dream situation I can think of is a condo with lap pool and gym; 2br under $5500/month with balcony; in a neighborhood where there is a little bit of life and color (shops, cafes, etc within easy walk); walkable to supermarket or other food market; and reasonable commute to Club Street.

Remember, schools are no issue. We're happy not to have a car and just use transport and taxis. If you were us, what areas (or even specific condos) would you consider?

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 4:43 pm

There is a condo directly behind (sort of east/south east) of Club St which would probably fall right in your price range. Or is that too close? I know there is value in being at least a minimal distance from work.

Anyway, Clark Quay and River Valley are both decent spots. Also look at Robertson Quay, it might be a little bit more 'friendly' feeling and less of a dedicated tourist/partying spot. Also considering looking in the vicinity of Tiong Bahru, Outram Park, and Tanjong Pagar MRT stations. Some property websites will just let you search by proximity to a specific station, so that's what I'd suggest.

mkateh

Post by mkateh » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 4:48 pm

[quote="zzm9980"]There is a condo directly behind (sort of east/south east) of Club St which would probably fall right in your price range. Or is that too close? I know there is value in being at least a minimal distance from work.
[/quote]

Yes, I do think some distance from work will be good, even if just to motivate a bit of exploration. There was a very helpful thread about a woman moving from SF and she ended up in Anh Siang Hill I think, which sounded great, but is right by the office. It means where we can eat lunch is where we eat dinner, and no variety without journeying out for the sake of journeying.

Thanks for the other location tips. We went to Tiong Bahru MRT (based on an article I read in NY Times about it being quite up and coming, lots of new coffee shops, etc.). Perhaps we wandered in exactly the wrong way, but all way saw was what looked like HDBs while walking for a while. What's the neighborhood really like?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 5:51 pm

I'd consider the Holland Village, Dempsey, and Wilkie Road areas as well as maybe the area being Blair/Everton road.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 7:48 pm

mkateh wrote:. Perhaps we wandered in exactly the wrong way, but all way saw was what looked like HDBs while walking for a while. What's the neighborhood really like?
Pretty much HDBs all over in Singapore. There are some pockets without, but most of those won't be too convenient to places you'd like to live. Go tour Robertson Quay or River Valley, they may be better if you'd like to avoid HDBs.

For Tiong Bahru, look on this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q= ... 103.830419

I marked a coffee shop called "Forty Hands", it's one of the best (and busiest and priciest) coffee shops in Singapore. Roughly in the area between it and Tiong Bahru MRT is a park with a lot of various condos. You can look there. The street 40 Hands is on also has maybe a half dozen other cafes and trendy restaurants.

I remember the girl from SF thread, and sadly there aren't a lot of very trendy areas in Singapore that you'll really like, especially within walking distance (even long walk) of where you'll be working. Also consider the areas PNGMK mentioned. They may be a rather long walk. I'd suggest some areas on the East Coast like Siglap or Tanjong Katong/Joo Chiat, but that also won't be walking distance.

Your original guess is probably best, Clark Quay, River Valley, and also Robertson Quay.

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 5:11 am

Another area you might want to consider (depending on how far you'd like to run to work) is Farrer Park/Lavender - these are all on the North-East line, and there are a bunch of really nice condos in the area that are extremely accessible indeed (under 10 minutes to Clarke Quay/Chinatown by MRT?). Btw if you're looking for a balcony, the Rivergate condo seems to have one for every unit, that's in Robertson Quay which is a bit of a hike from the MRT but it's a lovely spot.