Singapore Expats

Singapore lost #1 spot as desirable country for expats

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
hairy legs wrote: But, I can see that the Chinese have longer lifespan than S'poreans, mind you, a Politician's real live starts at 60!
I believe you have that backwards.

Singapore is in forth position (80/85 M/F) in the world for average longevity while China is in 49th position (74/77 M/F).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... expectancy
Singapore gets unfair advantage due to it being a city state with no rural population. Genetically, the Chinese diet is really good which keeps the Singaporeans live that long + excellent medical facilities and not much poor.
Malaysia for example is not such a poor country and pretty much comparable to Singapore, look at how low its ranking is 73! Again because of too much oily food that Malays eat and obesity and its share of poor.
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:36 am

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Also the 1st time I came to Singapore and in a food court saw a stall named "Pig Organ Soup", was equally grossed out. I kept wonder which organ of the pig did it belong to :lol: Whenever I walk in a food court and see those whole burnt ducks dangling , I turn my eyes off.
And you haven't got to blank out the 'organs' on display - yet ? :D
But yeah, relatively speaking foodwise, I would imagine Singapore is the least wacky than most of oriental Asia.
Not so, if you listen to a lot of less informed, you will be amazed .. including a bunch of keyboard warriors from some ASEAN country who insist Monkey brains are on offer in any restaurant in Singapore .. yes, the ones where the monkey is still alive ..
Well, My reasoning for less wacky was because Singapore is so cosmopolitan and its easy to find internation food here in abundance(especially Indian)
Also, its easy to converse in English here, compared to say Japan, South KOrea or Taiwan.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:51 am

x9200 wrote:Dog and cat burgers less popular? It seems much better choice. More meat per animal hunted.
Dogs are pricier. There is a very lucrative dog-smuggling trade. Rats are everywhere in China.

But, the first street vendor who visits the west and sees the premium we put on 'locally grown' and 'free range' food will come back and sell his rat kebabs at a premium!