Singapore Expats

Amusing.... Singapore to Hunt ‘Anonymous’ hackers

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Amusing.... Singapore to Hunt ‘Anonymous’ hackers

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 2:56 pm

Singapore is going to unmask anonymous and bring them to justice for their threats. There seems to be a disconnect in understand what 'Anonymous' is.

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/1 ... od=WSJBlog

nakatago

Re: Amusing.... Singapore to Hunt ‘Anonymous’ hackers

Post by nakatago » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 2:59 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Singapore is going to unmask anonymous and bring them to justice for their threats. There seems to be a disconnect in understand what 'Anonymous' is.

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/1 ... od=WSJBlog
They are so missing the point. Absolutely clueless about what anonymous is all about.

But I'd like to see them try. I hope they publicize their efforts.

It should be fun watching this.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 4:11 pm

Think I could sell them some Hopi Dream Catchers? Or will o' the wisp smoke detectors?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 4:18 pm

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 6:43 pm

Was discussing about the same thing over lunch with my colleagues. For me Singapore PM is credible and quite well informed, and for him to make a public statement like this is indeed amusing.

It sounds as exciting as a heavy weight boxing match.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 6:47 pm

proxymoron wrote:Was discussing about the same thing over lunch with my colleagues. For me Singapore PM is credible and quite well informed, and for him to make a public statement like this is indeed amusing.

Well, reading the comments even on the WSJ article, I'm pretty sure he is playing to the crowd. The crowd being typical online commenters on the red dot.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 7:01 pm

proxymoron wrote:Was discussing about the same thing over lunch with my colleagues. For me Singapore PM is credible and quite well informed, and for him to make a public statement like this is indeed amusing.

Something makes me think the PM knows a whole lot more about NSA and the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_a ... e_Division connection to it and how much access they have.... I imagine that Singapore and the US share bilateral snooping capabilities....

If anyone can take down Anon it would not surprise me if it was Singapore and the USA combined. Seriously this country has more teeth than most of you will ever know.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 8:02 pm

Exactly. Quite a few hapless victims have been subpoenaed and given a good one-two punch on the chin before being sent packing, including the Wall Street Journal a few years back.

All power to them.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 9:34 pm

Threatening to finish Anonymous, might just discourage disaffected chatter from any little monkeys back home.

Or so they seem to believe.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 9:53 pm

PNGMK wrote: If anyone can take down Anon it would not surprise me if it was Singapore and the USA combined. Seriously this country has more teeth than most of you will ever know.
Anon is not something you can 'take down'. It's not an organization. It's just a label people assign themselves and then (generally) say or do stupid shit on the Internet. Are they going to 'take down' every rebellious pimply teenage keyboard warrior on the planet?

*Maybe* they can identify the individual who made the video and specific threats, but that's not anything even remotely the same as "taking down Anonymous".

Jr8 likes to link to and quote Sun Tzu. He should here, as the players (and commentators) seem to have no understanding at all of the 'enemy'.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 9:54 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Exactly. Quite a few hapless victims have been subpoenaed and given a good one-two punch on the chin before being sent packing, including the Wall Street Journal a few years back.

All power to them.
I don't follow. Are you equating the WSJ and other true media organizations to anonymous?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 6:15 am

zzm9980 wrote:Anon is not something you can 'take down'. It's not an organization. It's just a label people assign themselves and then (generally) say or do stupid shit on the Internet. Are they going to 'take down' every rebellious pimply teenage keyboard warrior on the planet?

*Maybe* they can identify the individual who made the video and specific threats, but that's not anything even remotely the same as "taking down Anonymous".
Awww....you're spoiling the fun. I wanted to watch the gahmen chase ghosts.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 6:53 am

I believe they can do good enough to send a clear message to the rest/followers. Those identified will be called "the organizers" of this particular action/event. It does not matter it's an informal, only loosely connected, adhoc built structure. Aim at the few to discourage the others. Sounds like the modus operandi of many governments anyway.

Well, they need an international cooperation for this so I would rather see the weakness in this place.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 9:03 am

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 9:30 am