Singapore Expats

PR application strategies

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
daniyatom

PR application strategies

Post by daniyatom » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 9:19 am

Hi. I do have some questions about PR strategies. I am a Malaysian Chinese, 35, making about 110-120k/year with bonuses but about $6.5k per month. I am in the real estate asset mgmt field with a local GLC and that's how they structure the salaries in that they allocated a significant chunk to bonuses. I have been working for this employer for a little over a year now. Did not file taxes in 2012 as I was here for less than 183 days and haven't filed for my 2013 taxes as we are still in the 2013 tax year.

In any case, I am married but my wife is working in Malaysia for a MNC. We are both Malaysian Chinese. I met her while I was working overseas prior to relocating to Singapore. She has a dependent pass (from my EP) and she visits on weekends.

That said, I was wondering if I should apply for her as well when I put in my PR application. The negative points is that she's not here in Singapore but she has every intention to move here. We just had a lot of personal challenges (her family issues, miscarriage, etc.) that delayed and temporarily stopped her from looking for a job here in Singapore but the intent is to move here for good.

Also, my monthly salary may be on the low side, I don't know. So I was wondering if folks can chime in on whether I should apply just for myself, or should I apply for her as well as a family unit. Do chime in and advise please. Also, should we explain why she hasn't moved here given that she as a dependent pass?

Many thanks folks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 10:45 am

You should apply as a family unit. However your job really is one that could or should be done by a SC IMO and that may affect your chances.

daniyatom

Post by daniyatom » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:58 am

Thanks. Am in the real estate asset management/acquisitions/investment field, mostly Singaporeans but there are a sizable chunks of Malaysians (who are on EPs and some PRs) and foreigners working here.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:43 pm

MY Chinese have very good chances of getting PR, particularly as a younger family unit that can breed more SC.

daniyatom

Post by daniyatom » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 5:24 pm

Good to hear. But should we explain why she hasn't moved here yet even though she has a dependent pass?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 5:44 pm

Actually, that might not be a good idea either as then she may well lose her DP as well, as she not living here. My advice? Wait until she is here before applying. Don't apply by yourself as that will ring bells and wave red flags as well as they will be wondering why you didn't/don't have your wife here when your application says married and on a DP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

daniyatom

Post by daniyatom » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks for your note. I guess I am in a bind. Should we perhaps turn in the DP and just give it up? She doesn't need it as she could easily stay for 30 days here visa free.

My wife doesn't want to move (yet) until she finds a job here. And the job search process has been hampered by medical and personal challenges that have only been resolved recently. So realistically, if she starts to look for a job, and then put in notice to resign (3 mths notice) her current job in Malaysia, she won't get here until at least March/April.

And I would like to apply now (appointment date is in Feb) but ICA said to check for cancellations so that I can come in early. They even said that she doesn't need to be here physically for that document drop off appointment cos I explained that shes in MY. I am just trying to see if there is any good way to apply now rather than later while not jeopardizing my chances, hence the reason why the suggestion of including a note.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 8:08 pm

Sadly, all we have is anecdotal evidence/stories and we know that ICA tweats their policies at will/depending on the powers that be. So, we try to stay on the safe side. Having said that, if you want to try once, go ahead, but if rejected, then please, wait for the ducks to be all lined up before applying the next time. Who really knows? You might just get lucky being M'sain Chinese they may close one eye and look at the longer term.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

daniyatom

Post by daniyatom » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 10:16 am

Thanks sundaymorningstaple. Actually and initially I have no clue that being Malaysian helps. But I bumped into random Malaysians as I travel quite often from Senai Airport. Met folks who are married, with their wives in Malaysia, and they got the PR for themselves only and not a family unit. He even told me that 9 out of 9 Malaysians from his factory got their PR while its more difficult for others. Anyways, appreciate your input and we will just apply by including a note explaining why she didn't fully utilize the DP, or haha maybe we should just keep silent on this?

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 10:55 am

I found with ICA, honesty is the best policy. Be honest as to why the wife isn't here and the problems that she has encountered and how the both of you plans to tackle living in SG soon.

I have Msian Chinese friends that have applied for PR as a family whilst wife and son is in Msia and they managed to obtain their PR successfully albiet after waiting for quite a long time.

I am a Msian Chinese too and I applied with my family and we got it after waiting for 5months.

daniyatom

Post by daniyatom » Mon, 14 Apr 2014 9:34 am

Çhecked on ienquiry and my application got approved. So 5 months processing time in total. I don't know if they approved my wife's as she is a tag along to my application - will have to wait for the letter to find out.

Just to add new data to the forum and to thank everyone for the their advice. It's much appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:58 am

Congratulations.

When you say tag along, was her application submitted at the same time, on the same application or later and referencing your application and vice versa, you referencing her application?

daniyatom

Post by daniyatom » Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:44 am

Thanks! We applied together as a family unit. So she's under my application.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:02 pm

I'd say you are in like Flint. If she was on your application (family application) then I'm pretty sure you were both approved. Keep the fingers crossed until you receive the letter to see exactly what it says. :cool: