Singapore Expats

Renounce citizenship at overseas Singapore embassy

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
smoko

Renounce citizenship at overseas Singapore embassy

Post by smoko » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:32 pm

I read in another forum (am I allowed to post the link? ) that it is possible to fill in a form to renounce Singapore citizenship at a Singapore embassy overseas in which you are a citizen of, at age younger than 21. Is this true?

According to the person, technically, you have renounced Singapore citizenship and so not a Singaporean anymore. Which means you are not covered by the enlistment act.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Renounce citizenship at overseas Singapore embassy

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:41 pm

smoko wrote:I read in another forum (am I allowed to post the link? ) that it is possible to fill in a form to renounce Singapore citizenship at a Singapore embassy overseas in which you are a citizen of, at age younger than 21. Is this true?

According to the person, technically, you have renounced Singapore citizenship and so not a Singaporean anymore. Which means you are not covered by the enlistment act.
You can renounce all you want.... but is it accepted and does it waive NS liability? Probably not unless everything else is followed correctly.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 1:18 pm

It might be allowed but ONLY if the child was born overseas and the mother registered the child as a Singaporean at a Singaporean Consulate and the child has never had an NRIC or a Singapore Passport (dual citizenship) or lived in Singapore. Otherwise, I doubt seriously that it can be done.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 1:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It might be allowed but ONLY if the child was born overseas and the mother registered the child as a Singaporean at a Singaporean Consulate and the child has never had an NRIC or a Singapore Passport (dual citizenship) or lived in Singapore. Otherwise, I doubt seriously that it can be done.
I guess the idea is that you're technically on Singapore soil in an Singapore HC or embasssy and you can advise Singapore Gahmen via the consular officer that you are renouncing your citizenship. That in no way though waives any other legal obligations including NS. It's an exercise in futility.