Singapore Expats

Deep sea fishing from Mersing

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Deep sea fishing from Mersing

Post by Fortan » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 9:09 am

Has anyone been deep sea fishing out of Mersing in Malaysia. I have heard that you can catch both sailfish and marlin? I love to fish but I haven't been out for years.

I would appreciate some feedback on:
- How do you travel up to Mersing? ( I don't have a car )
- Is there any tour operators in Malaysia that does full packages all incl.?
- What time of the year is 'suitable'. When is the best fishing?
...... last, perhaps someone would like to join me and we could do the fishing trip together sometime?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 9:50 am

Sailfish plenty from about now onwards, as the coming months are sailfish season. They're not big, max 20+ but they're plentiful, as in, a dozen in a day per boat-ish.

Marlin rarely. They used to be there, especially around Aur/Dayang, but they're pretty much fished out.

You drive (bus, van or taxi) up to Rompin and charter a boat.

I know of one guy in particular, an angmoh, who runs sailfish trips, usually 2-day jobs. He's always booked and he ain't cheap, but he's got the know-how and the gear. And his success rate is high.

Not sure if I can name names. Can I Mr. Eagle?

But anyway, you'll find there are quite a few operators that aim for sailfish. Google is your fishing kaki :)

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:52 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Sailfish plenty from about now onwards, as the coming months are sailfish season. They're not big, max 20+ but they're plentiful, as in, a dozen in a day per boat-ish.

Marlin rarely. They used to be there, especially around Aur/Dayang, but they're pretty much fished out.

You drive (bus, van or taxi) up to Rompin and charter a boat.

I know of one guy in particular, an angmoh, who runs sailfish trips, usually 2-day jobs. He's always booked and he ain't cheap, but he's got the know-how and the gear. And his success rate is high.

Not sure if I can name names. Can I Mr. Eagle?

But anyway, you'll find there are quite a few operators that aim for sailfish. Google is your fishing kaki :)
I actually tried googl'ing and in many tries I find nothing that really caught my eye. Primarily stories from anglers who have gone there and caught fish.

If you would care to share the website or contact of the ang moh up there. You can send me a message if we can't share information on here, that would be fantastic.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 1:48 pm

Max, sure you can. Not a problem unless it you or something you have a financial interest in. We depend on recommendations. It's just we don't like those sly ones who "recommend" their own companies. That is soliciting and/or advertising. :wink:

Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 05 Nov 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 2:30 pm

Ok, cheers.

Sent Fortan a PM, but if any questions, then I'll just post.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks. This forum is a treasure trove for people who need information. We try to keep it public just in case people move on. The information shouldn't move on with them. It's just what we do here. :cool:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 3:31 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Ok, cheers.

Sent Fortan a PM, but if any questions, then I'll just post.
Thanks Max. Appreciate it.