Singapore Expats

life span for the washer and drier

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

life span for the washer and drier

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 8:46 am

What do you think is a typical life span in Singapore of some basic lower end appliances, like washers or driers? We have basic models of Bosh and they are 5yo. They are used practically every day. Still working but the washing machine started to leak recently (from the front - the rubber seal is a bit damaged). To fix it, it would cost me probably 70-100. This would be like 1/5-1/7th of the price of a new one. Both appliances have some other uncritical (as of now) issues but they are in principle in a working order. I am thinking whether it is already time for a replacement.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 9:29 am

In my experience, and in general, with appliances it's worth paying for quality, and Bosch/Neff/Worcester-Bosch/Vaillant get my vote. They cost a bit more than something like Hotpoint, Zanussi, or Indesit etc, but they last so much longer.

There is a point it goes rather off the scale, i.e. the likes of Miele, but Bosch/Neff (they are the same company) are solid workhorses.

You do laundry almost every day, oh my! When the machine is not in use, do you leave the door ajar? Leaving it closed can malform the rubber seal. Replacing the seal is pretty straight-forward. I'd imagine the most challenging aspect would be ordering it locally. [I'm sure you can find the engineers Service Guide online].

I've put Bosch/Neff in some of my rentals back home. And 8-10 years on they're still going strong (though I doubt with your level of usage!).

What's also nice, is they're pretty straightforward to fix, DIY, if you're at all 'handy'.

p.s. As an alternative, can you see where the rubber skirt is damaged? It could be that some silicone (bathroom) sealant could provide a semi-perm repair.

-- My parents washing machine is maybe 35-40 years old. People of their generation don't believe in 'disposable', but rather, repairable :)

hairy legs

Post by hairy legs » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 9:55 am

If it is for my own use, 5 yrs +, but I find that I have to replace them more frequently for those in properties I rent out.

I would rather buy a cheap one (for own use as well as for my rental units) because washing machines is old technology, so we dont really need super duper washing machines.

In Singapore, I used to buy 'whirpool' etc. Here in Shanghai, I buy local brands and they work just as fine.

Lastly, I would rather change to a new washer every 5 years vs buying an expensive item and hold on to it for 10 years.

so, buy local brands, forget about the brands you are used to from where you come from..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:32 am

I'm lucky to get 5 years out of a washer (front-loaders) and normally can get 5~8 out of the dryer. But like x9200, mine gets used everyday for half a day at least (and I cannot convince my wife of the importance of keeping to within the recommended weight limit of the loading!) This, obviously over time, shortens the life span enormously. I've used Whirlpool for years but this last time I've been using Elbas but only because I know, even if I buy higher end, the way my family misuses them, it would be a waste of money. I'd sure like to be able to get a US washer/dryer over here as they are the 15~30 year variety as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:34 am

Well isn't that the thing. You know what they say, Q: 'What is the only car that can drive anywhere? A: A hire car.' Same goes for rental property, it gets abused.

If you're into landlording long-term, the philosophy seems to be buy appliances for the long-term. There's nothing to p*** you off more than having a tenant calling you at 3am on your anniversary weekend break in Paris, or Cancun or wherever whining about a terminally buggered $100 washing machine.

Whirlpool, yes, they're a Phillips brand IIRC. Middle of the road, pretty decent. I had one of their Washer/Dryers in my first home, the WD23 model, 25 years ago ... how sad I remember such detail lol... but it did me fine (once a week) for 5+ years.

Usually the things that start to go wrong in a washing machine are SO simple to fix. New carbon brushes on the motor (cost US$5), a new door seal (cost:?), a blocked screen on the inlet water hose (cost nil) etc. If you're a participating member of a landlord/DIY forum (as I am) you'll be mentored in how to DIY this stuff. Once you've done it once you realise how damned easy much of this stuff is...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:40 am

Yeah, in the States, the landlord had Maytags in the garage. Coming from Europe that was like, industrial laundry plant.

The dryer was gas-fired, no sh*t! The thing was like a furnace. Bone dry in like 10 minutes, but my oh my you had to consider shrinkage* :)

* remember one time the wife accidentally put in a wool cardigan, and it came out a mini-me/toddler version, about 6" high.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:51 am

It is not necessary an extra cost for a brand like Bosch. It is not a bottom cheap neither but if you are not a washing geek (I am not) it's a bottom average: I believe we paid ~1k3 for both the drier and the washer (2 separate appliances). No fancy displays etc.
But you can buy it cheaper and also well branded but these are not the popular areas of the brands. For example:

http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PID-I ... G-ESFL72MS
http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PID-I ... -KG-EDV600

Decent load, sufficient functions (comparable to my current Bosches). Sharp and Electrolux have good reputation (in other areas) and both of them for +700, almost half of the mentioned price.

But I also wonder if the climate takes its toll on it. They are kept in the yard outside the kitchen. No direct rain but some aerosols and enhanced humidity plus the temperature all year round.

- all the exteriors are already yellowed
- the washer has the top plastic plate broken in one place
- the washer's drum gets unbalanced beyond the machine control so it "walks/jumps" sometimes (with the dryer on top)
- the dryer smells with rubber

plus the mentioned leakage.

(Well, it's not like every single day in use but with a kid on board it is pretty frequent.)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 11:10 am

Oh yes I’m sure the climate here takes a toll. Particularly on perishables, PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) and rubber. I once had to replace a PCB in an entryphone unit, cost me about £5, whereas I expect an engineer would have charged me £150, all in. I just called the manufacturer, clicked ‘Option 4’ for the service dept, and they more or less diagnosed the problem for me, told me what to do, and the replacement PCB arrived next day, 5 minutes, bang it in, done > simples :)

The W/M ‘walking’. IME this is one of two things -
- You doing loads where it sits in a lump on one side of the drum. Usually results from large bulky items. Or where you’re overloading the drum.
- The feet of the machine have not been balanced/adjusted onto the floor on which it stands. > grab hold of the thing when not in use, and give it a good wrestle, can you feel it move, at all? If so you can be sure it will at 1200RPM. The feet are adjustable.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 11:37 am

It's 700rpm at best and if I say it is unbalanced I mean if the washers tries to get into the spin half of the drum hides to right or to the left plus the whole tower oscillates with a good few cm amplitude. Once this scary dance is done it manages to accelerate somehow and spins full speed with no further problems. Maybe its an overload but it did not act that way before and we did not change our habits.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 11:43 am

Ooh... :o

Yes it seems to be how it works, the rocking-momentum is worse at lower RPM. But once it's up to speed it stops (which seems counter-intuitive).

Anyway, as were previous, loading, and adjusted machine feet seem to be the key issues in such circumstances.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 8:57 am

Hotpoint in the UK used to give a 5 year parts and labour guarantee which is probably a good indicator of lifespan.

I had one that I kept for 7 years but I had to make many repairs to it over those last 2 years. I seemed to be constantly stripping it down. As JR8 says they are not difficult to repair, at least the mechanical components.

I am past that kind of fun now though, when the current machine breaks it is going directly out the door and a replacement is coming in!

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:18 am

What is Teka and Brandt here?
I use Bosch washer dryers in my rented properties back home too. I have found that Neff/Bosch/Siemens and Miele, lasts longer. Additionally, there are places that gives 5years warranties on bosch/Neff.

I dont want the 3am calls about leaking washer dryers. Or the tenats perpetually using BG Homecare and when I renew it the cost goes up the following year.

There's also an expectation that if someone is paying XXXX they get XXXXX worth of goods. Catering to the market