Singapore Expats

British Expat Can I give birth in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Lexie1000

British Expat Can I give birth in Singapore

Post by Lexie1000 » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 6:03 pm

I am currently on an employment Visa in Hong Kong and my boyfriend has just relocated to Singapore for work (he has a Singapore working visa).
Surprisingly we have now found out we are expecting a baby and would therefore like me to move over to Singapore to give birth and bring up the baby.
We do have plans to marry but ideally we would like to do so after the birth.
My question is can I give birth in a private hospital if we pay or do I need to be married to him in order to do so?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 6:10 pm

You can give birth here. There's (I seem to recall) a special medical visa available for this. You don't need to be married if you utilize that visa.

Oh and congratulations!

Lexie1000

Post by Lexie1000 » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 6:14 pm

Thats great news! Thanks for letting me now. Its early days but I want to have all the information to know exactly where we stand!

thanks, nervous and excited!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 8:14 pm

But that does not mean you will be allowed to remain here after giving birth in order to raise the baby. The baby will NOT gain Singapore citizenship nor will the baby be allowed to remain either unless you can somehow convince the government you are a de facto spouse or in a common law marriage. It can be done, but you will not be given a dependent's pass but only a LTVP which means you cannot work here. A search on these forums will turn up a lot of information and good news and bad news. Sift through them first.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 4:22 pm

Also just to point out that medical costs from "good" (quite subjective so I wont attempt to quantify this) hospitals / doctors are quite expensive as compared to invoking your NHS rights.

There might also be some immigration complications to your subsequent generations... I hope you are born british and did not acquire British citizenship by descent.

British citizens by descent cannot pass on their British citizenship to their children if born outside UK (source UKBA).

So I would factor these two points primarily into your decision making.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 6:53 pm

If you are thinking of getting married anyway, it might make the visa easier if you marry at a registry office and have the ceremony later.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 1:59 pm

Yes. Things like insurance will be easier if you are married. Plus if he has a housing allowance that will increase.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:08 am

FaeLLe wrote:There might also be some immigration complications to your subsequent generations... I hope you are born british and did not acquire British citizenship by descent.

British citizens by descent cannot pass on their British citizenship to their children if born outside UK (source UKBA).

I am not sure if this is entirely accurate. My OH was not British Born though both of his parents were British born. And I am certainly not British born either. Our DD is the only British born and she is British by citizenship.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:24 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:There might also be some immigration complications to your subsequent generations... I hope you are born british and did not acquire British citizenship by descent.

I am not sure if this is entirely accurate. My OH was not British Born though both of his parents were British born. And I am certainly not British born either. Our DD is the only British born and she is British by citizenship.
It would appear that it IS accurate. As your DD was British born, there is not a problem there. But if your currently carried child is born 'outside' of Britain to parents of which neither are Britain born citizens but naturalized citizens, you may well have a problem. It would behoove you to check with the British Counsulate just to make sure so you can at least, if necessary, fly back to the UK to deliver. Forewarned is forearmed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:56 pm

Wife and I are both British but not born there, my father also British just so happened to be working in Asia and I was born in Japan, so our sprog was not automatically entitled to a British passport if born outside of the UK.

We had a last minute flight back to the UK to ensure she could get her UK passport.

The only exception to the rule is if you were born to British parents working overseas in the armed forces.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:33 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:

My god please quit using these acronyms. OH = Other half? Old Husband? DD = Dear Daughter? quite annoying to have to guess.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 8:01 pm

zzm, thank you. I've been wanting to say that for 5 years here! :lol: :lol:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 8:03 pm

ZZM = Za Za Mabor

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 9:10 pm

PNGMK wrote:ZZM = Za Za Mabor
+1

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 1:37 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:

My god please quit using these acronyms. OH = Other half? Old Husband? DD = Dear Daughter? quite annoying to have to guess.
Agreed .......
Life is short, paddle harder!!