Singapore Expats

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
a1092115

Post by a1092115 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. To clarify - both my parents gave up their Singapore citizenship shortly after migrating (my dad had served his NS by this stage). I was born in Australia and have always been an Australian citizen, although Singapore is like a second home to me and I'm absolutely loving it here.

The link that Saint posted doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know which note he/she was referring to? I've found one on the ICA website, but paragraph 6 is about the applicant's employer providing certain information to ICA.

To bobypf - best of luck tomorrow mate. Please share your experience with me and let me know how it all went. I suppose you're right that there is nothing to lose, but if/when I decide to lodge my application I guess I'd prefer to do it with a degree of confidence that it will be accepted.

Again, thanks to all for your feedback.

Cheers guys

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 8:13 pm

tidus12000 wrote:Good luck. But ang moh with S pass, that's definitely is rare.
Probably a lot more here on S-Pass than you think.

Folk try and go to where the work is to get a foot in the door.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 8:28 pm

tidus12000 wrote:Sorry, When he is born, his parents might still be singaporean. Converted later.
kookaburrah wrote:*hands Tidus a larger, more ergonomic shovel

Tidus, are you a Singaporean perchance? You sure sound like one. The more you say, the worse you look. Try actually reading for content & context. I understand English is not your 1st language, so don't feel bad if you don't understand, just please, do yourself a favour and stop. :roll:

Even if he was, once Citizenship is obtained, EVEN IF HIS PARENTS WERE SINGAPOREANS, THEY DID NOT HAVE TO REGISTER HIM AS A CITIZEN. If he was, then he can not renounce until he FINISHES NS and turns 21 . FULL STOP! IF he hasn't done NS he CANNOT RENOUNCE. Which word are you having problem with. Oh, I know, ALL OF THEM! ](*,) #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 2:19 am

SMS: That's like a farmboy. I like it. If you must hit, hit first & hit hard.

If every UPPERCASE word was a bullet...
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
tidus12000 wrote:Sorry, When he is born, his parents might still be singaporean. Converted later.
kookaburrah wrote:*hands Tidus a larger, more ergonomic shovel

Tidus, are you a Singaporean perchance? You sure sound like one. The more you say, the worse you look. Try actually reading for content & context. I understand English is not your 1st language, so don't feel bad if you don't understand, just please, do yourself a favour and stop. :roll:

Even if he was, once Citizenship is obtained, EVEN IF HIS PARENTS WERE SINGAPOREANS, THEY DID NOT HAVE TO REGISTER HIM AS A CITIZEN. If he was, then he can not renounce until he FINISHES NS and turns 21 . FULL STOP! IF he hasn't done NS he CANNOT RENOUNCE. Which word are you having problem with. Oh, I know, ALL OF THEM! ](*,) #-o

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:59 am

Good morning everyone.

I just applied for PR and this is what happened.

It was pretty fast. I went there, I took queue number and in no more than 2 minutes I was at the counter already. The lady officer was extremely formal, no shit, and I understand why people are so worried and anxious before going there. She asked me for my documents one after another, she sighted them and took the copies only. I didn't have birth certificate though so I had to fill up a form explaining why I don't have it. Also, there were some minor clarifications in the main form which she wanted me to point out, especially the countries of residence in the past 5 years and which university I studied in before I dropped out (I didn't even mention this initially since I didn't think it's important).

So basically that's all. After that she gave me the acknowledgement receipt and said that I can expect outcome in 4 to 6 months.

As a side note, there is one little detail in my application which she didn't notice though. In my employment history, as a period of my previous employment, I wrote the date when I started there - until now. This is technically correct because I am on leave from my company back in my country and I never quit. So technically I am still employed by them until now, despite my employment in Singapore. I don't know about this. I was prepared to answer if she ask me, but she never did. I could have written that I stopped working there before I started in Singapore, but if they asked me for testimonial from PREVIOUS employer, I couldn't have produced it since technically my PREVIOUS employer is a company I worked in very long time ago which would be irrelevant. And of course, if I did that, it wouldn't have been correct. On leave or not, I am employed there so this company is not my previous, but my CURRENT employer, besides the employer in Singapore. So we'll see how it goes. Again, I realize that I have no chance, so you don't need to keep telling me that.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:11 pm

Most people have agreements with their employers indicating that they can not work another job in the same industry.

Your employers know about your other jobs? Just wanted to make sure you are not getting into a legal mess.

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:36 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:Most people have agreements with their employers indicating that they can not work another job in the same industry.

Your employers know about your other jobs? Just wanted to make sure you are not getting into a legal mess.
Of course they know. And even if they didn't know, what industry are you talking about since both countries are 10 000 km apart? And I am not "working" there, I work here. It's just that they are holding my spot there and I am technically employed, that's all. How can I "work" in two different countries at the same time? Unless I could teleport somehow...

You didn't read my message carefully did you?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 9:49 am

bobypf wrote:
You didn't read my message carefully did you?
Relax, I understood what he was getting at. Many employers that give their employees leave do not allow them to do it so they can go work at a competitor (competitor defined as a company doing roughly the same thing, not necessarily an actual competitor in their market), but for a sabbatical, health, etc reasons. Any employer exercising common sense and discretion would probably not care that you left to do this for someone 10,000km away even if they had such a rule, but many employers also do no exercise discretion and treat the rules as black and white.

That all said, it's really none of Vishal's business, but we do like to get into everyone else's business on this forum. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:08 am

Gardening Leave, aka 'No Compete' leave. It's to stop people in sales/trading poaching customers, over to their new employer.

p.s. Interesting anecdote re: the PR application process. Funny isn't it, they could probably give you a decision on the spot, but, no, they make you wait 4-6 months. Presumably to dissuade the casual status-shoppers?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:25 am

While the average PR applicant is a EP/S/PEP pass holder has been vetted before obtaining their Employment Visa. However, the vetting for that is work related and not so much family related (and the collateral damage extended family could bring to bear on the little red dot. Therefore, the PR application generally entails a lot more in depth analysis as the the possibility/probability of additional loading on the infrastructure here. Additionally the numbers of applicants has increase to almost two-fold (this is what I was told around a year ago by one of the directors of MOM at an interview I was invited to attend (via this board - shows that the Gahmen DO read this board). The loading was already high and if you consider that the success rate is now one-third of what was previously, then the analysis and investigations are likely to go on longer. And, you comment is similar to what I've been saying for the past two years. Make 'em wait 6 months to a year or more to see who honestly want PR here and not just a trophy for their CV only to leave a year later and in 3 years want to come back in time to just get their Re-entry permit renewed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

colio
Regular
Regular

Post by colio » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:25 am

I'd like to say that you can get an EP if you were born here. I was born in Singapore, left when I was 3 & I have a P1 Employment Pass. We just added in our notes that my parents renounced my citizenship which was not my choice, as I was only 3. I'm also now over the age of being able to do NS anyway (I think the cut off age is 41?) so I'm exempt.

So there are special circumstances when people born in Singapore can be granted E passes.. now you all know! :)

a1092115

Post by a1092115 » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:58 am

Someone pm'd me and said I need at least 2 tax returns to apply for PR. Is this true? Or is it more the case that I have little chance without 2 tax returns.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:09 pm

a1092115 wrote:Someone pm'd me and said I need at least 2 tax returns to apply for PR. Is this true? Or is it more the case that I have little chance without 2 tax returns.
I'd honestly say 3. But maybe they can consider you with less than that.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:55 pm

a1092115 wrote:Someone pm'd me and said I need at least 2 tax returns to apply for PR. Is this true? Or is it more the case that I have little chance without 2 tax returns.
The latter. And 3, like Lynx said.