Singapore Expats

Interesting conversation

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Interesting conversation

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:18 am

So, instead of doing the transfer erep online, I took the e-appointment and legged it to ICA yesterday. I managed to transfer all our REP to our new shiny passports and went to the 3rd floor to do the change of address as I had been procrasting about it.

Had a interesting conversation with a nice uncle at the counter. He talked about how I really should abandon my cotizenship and take up SC. He apologise if he was talking out of turn. Then he told him about everything that I know all too well about Msia and of course end the story with his advise- hurry up and just be a SC already.

Interesting. He was nice and a friendly chap. It took me back to an incident in London donkeys years ago when my NI had been fraudulently been hijacked, long and short, had to have a new NI then try to recover all the contributions that I had made. I had a telling off by the NI officer there for getting too much education and not starting earlyb in my NI contributions. *sigh*

It does make me think as to why I have been hanging on to my Msian citizenship for so long. Food for thought.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Interesting conversation

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:42 am

PrimroseHill wrote:So, instead of doing the transfer erep online, I took the e-appointment and legged it to ICA yesterday. I managed to transfer all our REP to our new shiny passports and went to the 3rd floor to do the change of address as I had been procrasting about it.

Had a interesting conversation with a nice uncle at the counter. He talked about how I really should abandon my cotizenship and take up SC. He apologise if he was talking out of turn. Then he told him about everything that I know all too well about Msia and of course end the story with his advise- hurry up and just be a SC already.

Interesting. He was nice and a friendly chap. It took me back to an incident in London donkeys years ago when my NI had been fraudulently been hijacked, long and short, had to have a new NI then try to recover all the contributions that I had made. I had a telling off by the NI officer there for getting too much education and not starting earlyb in my NI contributions. *sigh*

It does make me think as to why I have been hanging on to my Msian citizenship for so long. Food for thought.
Keep citizenship for the country you wish to die/retire in. That's all.

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:15 pm

PNGMK wrote:
For me, Singapore definitely.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:46 pm

I knew there was a reason I still have a US passport after 31 years here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:54 pm

The guy was just proud of his country and was generalizing on how most Malaysians in Singapore would lean.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:57 pm

PNGMK wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:So, instead of doing the transfer erep online, I took the e-appointment and legged it to ICA yesterday. I managed to transfer all our REP to our new shiny passports and went to the 3rd floor to do the change of address as I had been procrasting about it.

Easier said than done. You remember the poster RobSG? He was retired and still didn't know where to spend the rest of his life and someone who is 35 years old can predict where they want to retire/die? :)

Most people want to keep their country of birth as the default country to return to if everything else fails, especially if you country of birth is a developed country. If its a developing/emerging country then its tricky. If its rouge country then again the choice is easy, take up citizenship whichever country accepts you.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 1:36 pm

I don't know if I want to die or retire in Msia. Do I want to retire or die in UK? I have no idea. Retirement seems so far away when you have a teen :D
Several things that scares me to death old age/retirement is health, medical and money.

:oops:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 1:40 pm

If you think it's scary at your age, walk a while in mine! :o

Actually Robsg & I are the same age.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 1:54 pm

To me, the idea of changing citizenship is very 3rd world.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 2:04 pm

I tend to think of my citizenship of birth as a default trait. To get rid of it seems perplexing, like getting different coloured eyes because I am tired of brown.

Having said this, I would think nothing of acquiring another passport, provided the new country was one I was intent on settling in for the long run. The dual nationality, to me, doesn't really represent a conflict of interest, as the two passports mean completely different things.

There is nothing 3rd world about this, and you will find many Britons who have acquired blue passports because it made sense to them.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 2:18 pm

kookaburrah wrote: There is nothing 3rd world about this, and you will find many Britons who have acquired blue passports because it made sense to them.
What is a 'blue passport'?

I don't think I know any Brits who have dual nationality.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 2:40 pm

I believe SE has UK/Can/US passports.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 2:44 pm

I do not expect to return to the UK to live permanently however I don't see me giving up the UK passport it is just way too convenient!

I expect to retire to the Philippines but I don't think they allow dual citizenship for foreigners, only for their own.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:35 pm

Sorry. The US passport. I know many Brits who took up US citizenship.
JR8 wrote:
kookaburrah wrote: There is nothing 3rd world about this, and you will find many Britons who have acquired blue passports because it made sense to them.
What is a 'blue passport'?

I don't think I know any Brits who have dual nationality.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:43 pm

There are several accounts of people renouncing their birth citizenships for the purpose of acquiring another passport. Then applying for citizenship again, once the process is concluded. If governments who forbid dual nationalities had an inkling of the sheer numbers of people doing this, they might re-think the effectiveness of this rule.