Singapore Expats

Student pass will expire while I'm out of SG...Info?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
KevRC4130

Student pass will expire while I'm out of SG...Info?

Post by KevRC4130 » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 8:56 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. Good to be here!

I've currently got a student pass in Singapore. My plan is to leave Singapore about a week before my student pass expires (and travel to Malaysia), but fly back to Singapore to head home. Problem is, by the time I plan to be back in SG, my pass will have expired.

What are the rules regarding all of this? Is there an amount of time required between being a 'student' and a 'visitor'? When/where would I surrender my student pass? Etc etc

I could also potentially fly home from Kuala Lumpur. In terms of dealing with visas and things, does this seem a lot less messy?

Thanks! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 9:47 am

Surrender your pass before you leave. You will be given a SVP. When you come back (if you really need to) come in on an SVP before your final departure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Student pass will expire while I'm out of SG...Info?

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 9:47 am

KevRC4130 wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. Good to be here!

I've currently got a student pass in Singapore. My plan is to leave Singapore about a week before my student pass expires (and travel to Malaysia), but fly back to Singapore to head home. Problem is, by the time I plan to be back in SG, my pass will have expired.

What are the rules regarding all of this? Is there an amount of time required between being a 'student' and a 'visitor'? When/where would I surrender my student pass? Etc etc

I could also potentially fly home from Kuala Lumpur. In terms of dealing with visas and things, does this seem a lot less messy?

Thanks! :)
If you actually fly to Singapore in order to fly home, and never leave the airport, you don't need any pass.

KevRC4130

Post by KevRC4130 » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:45 am

As far as not leaving the airport... My intention is in fact to leave the airport. The point of doing all of this is to avoid having to lug all of my bags (I've been a student here for months) during my travels in Malaysia.

As far as surrendering the students pass for an SVP: is this something I do at the airport customs counter, or something that must be done ahead of time at the embassy? Are there any other details about this that I need to be aware of, or is it really that easy?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:30 pm

Waltz down to Kallang ICA with your passport and your Student Pass and ask at the customer service counter, they will direct you to where to go and it will be a done thing.

Actually, you can turn it in at the immigration counter when you leave probably just as easy as once you go through the gates you are not in need of any sort of pass at all. If you want to come back in though, it will depend on whether or not you need a visa to visit Singapore (e.g., if you are from India).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 2:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Actually, you can turn it in at the immigration counter when you leave probably just as easy as once you go through the gates you are not in need of any sort of pass at all.
This is what I did last time. I turned in my IC at the Changi immigration (i.e. ICA) counter, on my way out of the country.

I understand that this is standard procedure and turning it in is a legal requirement. If you leave (permanently) and don't turn it in, I think they treat it almost like the IC is lost/stolen. Which, if you happen to later return to Singapore, and want to renew it, is not going to help you one bit.

KevRC4130

Post by KevRC4130 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 9:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Waltz down to Kallang ICA with your passport and your Student Pass and ask at the customer service counter, they will direct you to where to go and it will be a done thing.

Actually, you can turn it in at the immigration counter when you leave probably just as easy as once you go through the gates you are not in need of any sort of pass at all. If you want to come back in though, it will depend on whether or not you need a visa to visit Singapore (e.g., if you are from India).
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am from the USA. I believe Americans may be in Singapore for 30 days without a visa, as long as they have a confirmed flight out of Singapore within that time.

So, I can leave Singapore and surrender my student pass at the Malaysia border (can anyone confirm that this border is an acceptable place to surrender my pass?) - and then reenter Singapore at Malaysia as a visitor and leave within 30 days. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:50 am

You still need a visa. If you go to kallang and turn in your student pass, you will be issued with a bog standard 30 SVP (tourist visa). It is NOT a multiple entry visa so when you leave Singapore, you will no longer have a visa. When you return, you will get a new bog standard 30 day visa and IF you are lucky and were out of the country for say a week, you might even get a 90 days SVP as Americans are on the suitability list for the 90 day visa on entry. Sometimes you have to request it but it is also up to the immigration officer (especially as they will have your history as soon as the passport is scanned).

I don't care where you are from, you will need a visa when in Singapore. You just don't have to apply for it in advance or pay a fee to get it.