Singapore Expats

Best food and shisha in Arab street?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
cdcook

Best food and shisha in Arab street?

Post by cdcook » Wed, 01 May 2013 7:24 pm

I've been craving some Middle Eastern food and shisha. I would like to enjoy this in Arab st. Any suggestions for best food and shisha for the money?

Thanks!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Best food and shisha in Arab street?

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 02 May 2013 10:12 am

cdcook wrote:I've been craving some Middle Eastern food and shisha. I would like to enjoy this in Arab st. Any suggestions for best food and shisha for the money?

Thanks!
Shisha = Om on Haji Lane

As for food I wouldnt have a clue.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

cdcook

Post by cdcook » Thu, 02 May 2013 10:24 am

Thanks!

Yes, Om seems to be the recommendation I keep getting. Anyone know about food?

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Sun, 12 May 2013 1:18 am

I'm a fan of Nazrin - they've got all sorts of food and it's pretty good, but I always wish we could still smoke upstairs, since by the road just isn't as picturesque.

Cafe Le Carre has about the worst service in the world, please don't go there. But if you walk down the lane behind it in the evening (the pedestrian lane) the shop close and there's a place that puts down carpets and low tables that's really excellent - I can't remember its name, but it's right by all these boutique clothes shops and the like. Anyway the service there is really attentive and it's got a really great vibe going on, you're on this "street" with everyone out and about, and the not-so-distant sound of other bars and music.

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Sun, 12 May 2013 2:17 am

In my experience, Beirut on Bussorah Street has a very good food and they have quite good shisha as well. It is lebanese restaurant. The best middle eastern food according to my taste serve Al Qasr (lebanese as well) but it is in Holland Village. They have shisha but it is not worth the money.

The best shisha on Arab Street was at the Turkish restaurant Sufi IIRC, it is still good but I don't like the fact they squeeze people like sardines perhaps due to some law regulations of designated smoking area. I didn't try the Om, so can't comment. For me the most important is: tobacco freshness, frequent charcoal changes, dedicated shisha for flavours (like at Sufi's, so they don't mix different tobacco flavours for the same water pipe).

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 1:13 pm

Try Alaturka on Bussorah Street - great food! Don't know about the shisha....

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Post by Michael X » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:33 pm

uscate wrote:Try Alaturka on Bussorah Street - great food! Don't know about the shisha....
I second that, Alaturka is great!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 9:46 am

Anywhere there is usually ok. The more important thing is finding an empty seat some days.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 6:05 pm

stiwi wrote:In my experience, Beirut on Bussorah Street has a very good food and they have quite good shisha as well. It is lebanese restaurant. The best middle eastern food according to my taste serve Al Qasr (lebanese as well) but it is in Holland Village. They have shisha but it is not worth the money.

The best shisha on Arab Street was at the Turkish restaurant Sufi IIRC, it is still good but I don't like the fact they squeeze people like sardines perhaps due to some law regulations of designated smoking area. I didn't try the Om, so can't comment. For me the most important is: tobacco freshness, frequent charcoal changes, dedicated shisha for flavours (like at Sufi's, so they don't mix different tobacco flavours for the same water pipe).
Went to Beirut at the weekend, and I concur the food was pretty good.

Wine a bit pricey like.
Life is short, paddle harder!!