Singapore Expats

Not just the red dot

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 2:50 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: But many would argue she left the UK in a better position than when she took over but it was Normal Tebbit that famously said something like 'Get off your butt and on yer bike.'
Oh certainly, I am a Thatcherite. Anyone who remembers the years prior to her leadership ('The Three Day Week', and the 'Winter of Discontent'), where unionised industry held the entire country to ransom, would probably find it hard to think of her otherwise*. She 'broke the unions', specifically the Miners/NUM, who once again went out on nation-wide strike action, and threatened the generation of electricity for the UK. That of course threatened the entire economy.

It feels almost surreal comparing the UK today with back them. When I was a lad electricity black-outs were periodic events due to strike action. We used paraffin lamps, and heaters instead! Then the bin/rubbish-men went out, rubbish piled up 10' high on the pavements. Then crematoria workers went out, and hospitals were using refrigerated articulated lorries as morgues. Then lorry-drivers, then car-workers, and so on, and on... I also recall ration-books being issued with coupons for staples, like petrol, eggs, bread, flour. They were tumultuous times, it felt like ongoing and perpetual chaos; and she put an end to it.

* Naturally she also ended the unions cosy self-interest. The unionised industries were forced to update, and a lot of people lost their jobs (which had previously been considered 'jobs for life'). Hence Tebbit's suggestion. 'Get on your bike', which meant - don't just assume there should be a job-for-life on your door-step, if you're out of work, go and find some elsewhere.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:21 am

JR8 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote: But many would argue she left the UK in a better position than when she took over but it was Normal Tebbit that famously said something like 'Get off your butt and on yer bike.'
* Naturally she also ended the unions cosy self-interest. The unionised industries were forced to update, and a lot of people lost their jobs (which had previously been considered 'jobs for life'). Hence Tebbit's suggestion. 'Get on your bike', which meant - don't just assume there should be a job-for-life on your door-step, if you're out of work, go and find some elsewhere.
Try telling UNISON that - the teachers union and all those civil servants. Or Bob Crowe. He still enjoys his grace and favour flat in Hamsptead, not exactly slumming it. Or Ed?
25 years ago, UK/London used to be a nice place to live. Everyone can afford heat. Nowawadays, utility bills cost the earth.
Civil Servants have 30days annual leave and defined salary, the old style pension, whilst the rest of us poor sods have defined
contributions

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 3:09 pm

PrimroseHill wrote: Try telling UNISON that - the teachers union and all those civil servants. Or Bob Crowe. He still enjoys his grace and favour flat in Hamsptead, not exactly slumming it. Or Ed?
25 years ago, UK/London used to be a nice place to live. Everyone can afford heat. Nowawadays, utility bills cost the earth.
Civil Servants have 30days annual leave and defined salary, the old style pension, whilst the rest of us poor sods have defined contributions
The fact I've heard of UNISON but don't know who they represent, rather makes my point for me. There is almost nil union militancy these days: When did you last hear the term 'wildcat strikes' in the news? Or, 'Flying pickets'... do recall the pop group of the latter name who had the 1983 Christmas number one hit!? :) Can you imagine a band called 'Militant Tendency' [or similar], getting the Xmas #1 these days?. Thirty years ago, such a expression/name was so part of the times, 'The Flying Pickets' got the biggest no.1 pop slot of the year, these days 'Militant Tendency' would be a thrash/punk/growl band out on the far fringes :-D

Yes historically unions own a lot of property, which their leaders tend to live in (cosy eh). Ed? He comes from a very wealthy (Marxist! lol) family. He was brought up in Primrose Hill, his family later moved to South Kensington... not exactly slumming it eh (typical left wing hypocrites).

Utility bills, well, that's because of Global Warming, and funding alternative and far more $$$ energy sources. Most people believe in that utter shtick, so hard luck, the higher bills are the consequence of what they wish for.

Civil service pensions. Turkeys are never going to vote for Xmas are they? And the people who could change that (politicians) are said turkeys too.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 3:16 pm

I know I know. Its a soapbox subject for me. I guess I am just one of those people that feel a certain sense of loyalty towards their adopted countries. It is just such a shame really; its a nice country other than the weather.
All the govt is doing is fudging the figures. Growth figures. more tax, more spending cuts, yet debt is rising. So fudge more.
See the daily wail with the photo and caption on how many men does it take to change a light bulb on the street? shame!
more stealth tax.
mansion tax yes please. Now will Nick Clegg pay up?
energy windfall tax?
tax on petrol and diesel is laughable?
departure tax?
insurance tax?
ooooh you want private medical insurance, because the waitlist is something like 2years? Sure, no problem. You will be tax for having that benefit

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 3:32 pm

JR8 wrote:
Unison.
Its the amalgamation of a few unions I think.

when the numbers started to.drop. in union membership and legislation introduced to prevent flying pickets I think what was left of the various public service unions joined forces to try and create some leverage....

It didnt work as they hoped.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 6:44 pm

Barnsley wrote: It didnt work as they hoped.
Oh, that's a shame :cool:

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:42 am

http://www.unison.org.uk/about/

here it is.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/ ... port.world

remember this? I was affected by it.
Nothing gets my goat better than c**p like this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amily.html :mad: :x

Such a shame. I have a lot of time for UK. After all, it gave me an opportunity