Singapore Expats

UK expat considering offering English help/tuition

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Laurae

UK expat considering offering English help/tuition

Post by Laurae » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 12:36 pm

Hello good afternoon

I moved to Singapore last August from the UK and although I have a job I'm considering offering English tuition on the side.

I have no formal teaching qualification but did do well at GCSE level (which I think is O level here). I'm patient and have a good grasp of grammar and the English language.

I have no idea how to go about getting into this area or how to advertise or what to charge. Is this something another expat has done successfully? Any advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance

Laura

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 1:13 pm

That would be illegal I am afraid.

Laurae

Post by Laurae » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 1:19 pm

Hello

Would it? I do not work for Singapore, if that makes a difference? I work for a European company, UK taxed, I just happen to live in Singapore.

Many thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 1:59 pm

If you are giving tuition to people in Singapore, you need an employment pass from a company who is registered here, OR you have to set up your own business using one of the various methods here. Otherwise, what you are doing is illegal and can get you bounced out of the country and banned. It's not worth it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 2:00 pm

Of course it would. Unless you have a pass or wp that allows you to be a self employed esl teacher then it's illegal.

chandelier

enforced?

Post by chandelier » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 6:42 pm

how strict are these laws enforced? Obviously if you advertise in the newspaper etc. you will get into trouble, but if you tutor some friends on the side, does this really get checked?
Work, learning, traveling.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 7:05 pm

Does it matter? If caught you're in a fair bit of trouble.

It never ceases to amaze me how the obviously moronic have ever managed to get a job or leave their own country. Or even operate the Internet. If you plan to do something illegal don't post about it. Idiot.

Laurae

Post by Laurae » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:57 am

Well, what a friendly forum.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:41 pm

Laurae wrote:Well, what a friendly forum.
Actually, it is. The last two posts were in direct reply to a spammer who was deleted (happens occasionally). Unfortunately, you must have missed that post before it was deleted by the moderators. The last two posts were not meant for you but was a reply to the spammers post.

We are NOT friendly towards spammers, advertisers, people soliciting business and such. ;-)

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Re: enforced?

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:44 pm

Not sure if the "mutual agreement" will work on this one, but if the consequence is to be prohibited from entering Singapore, well... your record will stuck forever.
"Budget Expat"

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: UK expat considering offering English help/tuition

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 9:24 am

Laurae wrote:Hello good afternoon

I moved to Singapore last August from the UK and although I have a job I'm considering offering English tuition on the side.

I have no formal teaching qualification but did do well at GCSE level (which I think is O level here). I'm patient and have a good grasp of grammar and the English language.

I have no idea how to go about getting into this area or how to advertise or what to charge. Is this something another expat has done successfully? Any advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance

Laura
There are people that do it.... however it (as others have pointed out) is technically illegal unless you are employed or have some form of work permit as a self employed person. I'm not will to say more in an open forum.