Singapore Expats

How to hire a live-in maid? Tips appreciated.

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
MissisL

How to hire a live-in maid? Tips appreciated.

Post by MissisL » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 6:46 pm

What is the most hassle free way to find a reliable and competent live-in maid who could also be trusted with a baby? How long will the whole process take?

What to do and what not to do? What to consider?

Suggestions from satisfied/unsatisfied customers very much appreciated.
- After the final no there comes a yes and on that yes the future world depends -

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 8:11 am

Its a lottery! The best way is to take a maid on recommendation. Someone who is leaving Singapore and would like to place a well respected maid with a new employer.

If you go to an agency a face to face (in person or over the Internet) interview is best. Prepare your questions in advance, make notes of the responses the FWD gives, pay attention to body language and read her resume thoroughly. If possible, speak to her previous employer if she has worked in Singapore before.

Sometimes you just get a feeling. We have a maid who has been with us for 1 month now and previously worked for a Chinese family for 6 months. I chose her because my 2 year old daughter seemed to make an instant connection with her when I visited the agency. She isn't the best maid in Singapore and the training is a bit painful right now but she will be fine.