Singapore Expats

Firms must try to hire Singaporeans first from Aug 2014

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 5:30 pm

triste wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
triste wrote: You're delusional if you think there's going to be a revolution in Singapore.

Why?
Forced overthrow of a government the majority of the world admires? You think that's happening? By whom? TRE readers? Please.

Who's delusional now? Half the world has no idea where Singapore is and half the rest believe it's a one-party autocratic state......oh, wait.

Barnsley is right, for once.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 5:33 pm

Wd40 wrote:This is common in Europe as well, isn't it? I believe in UK, you must 1st give preference to UK candidates and then to EU candidates and finally rest of the world.
No, it is not common in Europe at all and most of the anecdotal evidence is completely outdated or misunderstood:

The free movement of workers is one of the four basic freedoms the EU stands for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of ... or_workers

So today do EU member not discriminate between their own workers and other EU members. It is illegal to do so and compared to job ads in Singapore where it is pretty clear what ethnicity an employer wants to hire is it indeed also in practice less of a discussion point.

Flip side is that if some populists feel the need to make some token law to show that they do something do they typically make laws restricting NON-EU foreigners. Because that is the only thing left they can decide on a national level.
So in the last decade has it become easier for me as an European to move to any other neighbouring country, but more difficult for say an American to get a job in parts of the EU. 99% of the discussions you will find are around countries with low cost labour entering step by step the EU and therefore entering the free labour market. A lot of fear mongering and very little substance. Like certain opposition websites in Singapore...

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 7:00 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
triste wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
Why?
Forced overthrow of a government the majority of the world admires? You think that's happening? By whom? TRE readers? Please.

Who's delusional now? Half the world has no idea where Singapore is and half the rest believe it's a one-party autocratic state......oh, wait.

Barnsley is right, for once.
\:D/
Life is short, paddle harder!!

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:10 pm

Of course Barnsley is right. Singaporeans may very well shoot themselves in the foot in 2016. But voting out the majority party does not a revolution make.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:11 pm

You must remember, locals have no sense of humour and are irrational at the best of times, so it's hard to tell what would happens in a fluke election result. With the erratic nature of the locals you might be surprised considering how aggressive they can get on the highways.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:57 am

triste wrote:Of course Barnsley is right. Singaporeans may very well shoot themselves in the foot in 2016. But voting out the majority party does not a revolution make.

Singapore itself isn't so old, the result of revolutions of a type. There have been riots here in the meantime so you can't say, based on just recent history, it cannot happen.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

touchring

Post by touchring » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 1:56 pm

triste wrote:
touchring wrote:
History has proved that the combination of extreme capitalism + authoritarianism don't work for long. It breeds corruption (cronyism and abuse of power is also considered corruption in many countries), stifles creativity, creates social instability and lowers social morals, promotes elitism and finally leads to revolution. China is a good example. Historically, most Chinese dynasties don't last more than 100-150 years and ends up with a revolution and famine that wipes out a third or a quarter of the population.
You're delusional if you think there's going to be a revolution in Singapore.

I'm not saying there is going to be a revolution tomorrow or next year or even in 30 years. A lot can happen in the future. South Korea was a military dictatorship only 20 years ago. Myanmar was one only 1 year ago.

That there are discussions on building underground cities just show how desperate the planners have become.

If Singapore were to survive as a single party model - by the way, I don't object a single party model in case you have that impression, the government must breakout of the current model because Singapore has limited space.

touchring

Post by touchring » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 3:08 pm

triste wrote:Of course Barnsley is right. Singaporeans may very well shoot themselves in the foot in 2016. But voting out the majority party does not a revolution make.

This won't happen, at least for the 2016 election.

If you look at the presidential election, many thought that the opposition candidate would get more votes, but he still lost anyway.

And even if the majority party loses the majority, they would still have the most seats (more than 45% of the seats) and will lead the coalition government with allied "opposition" candidates that will be appointed ministers.

The majority party will still be around at least until 2021.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:01 am

todays paper was stating that only singaporeans will have access to view the jobs from the online job portal, so I guess PR's won't be able to view the jobs and apply for them through the portal. They also mentioned they may work with private job portals as well

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 1:33 pm

AndrewV wrote:todays paper was stating that only singaporeans will have access to view the jobs from the online job portal, so I guess PR's won't be able to view the jobs and apply for them through the portal. They also mentioned they may work with private job portals as well

Yup, seems like:
(Acting Manpower Minister) Mr Tan said ... “We do envisage that in terms of direct application online, it would only be made available to Singaporeans.”