Singapore Expats

Even more outrageous taxi uncle

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Even more outrageous taxi uncle

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:51 pm

No, this guy didn't drive me all of the island like other posters have complained...

Jus left the airport, and we're on ECP just now, driving along at a normal speed. Uncle starts coughing up a lung. Uncle rollls down the window, and spits outside. While going 100km/hour. Uncle is not familiar with aero or fluid dynamics. I'm in backseat, passenger side. Backseat, drivers side is completely covered with likely H7N9, MERS, or something else infected saliva. I get a slight spray. I'm just shocked and don't even know what to do. I not so politely let uncle know what just happened. He gave me a tissue packet, and told me I could keep the whole thing.

I just returned from China, and this is by far the most disgusting thing I've seen all week.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 7:49 am

I've been thinking about this kind of thing lately and about how generally cavalier we've been about others' complacency when it comes to spreading germs.

Think about it, at best you breathed in the uncle's aerosol of saliva. No immediate ill-effect perhaps, but still utterly gross.

Should the uncle have a flu or a cold, then possibly you're now a sick man walking. As a result, you may have to take time off work and, depending on the virulence of the virus du jour, you're also likely going to feel miserable for a few days. Things could even escalate into pneumonia if you're unlucky. All because of some stranger's total lack of concern!

Now, if the taxi uncle really is infected with, or a carrier of, SARS, H7N9, MER or whatever vicious bug is currently evolving that we don't yet know about, then things get downright lethal.

Yet, here we are merely grumbling at these disgusting and hopelessly oblivious people. When are we going to change this primitive behavior?

I hope that in 10 years or so, coughing or sneezing without covering up will be punishable by law.

By the way, I'm currently sick with a bug and I reckon I caught it from this bloke sitting next to me on the ferry to Tioman. He full-on sneezed, head-snap and all, without covering his mouth. I got up and walked to the back of the cabin right away, but in such a closed compartment you're dead meat on a stick. Thanks, SYp.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 8:52 am

I'm not naive, I know I inhale much worse through everyday breathing than aerosolized saliva. I was mostly just grossed out. :)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 5:06 pm

May be off topic, but if I am the only person in the taxi(other than the driver ofcourse), I always sit in the front. If my wife and child are with me, we all sit at the back.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:25 am

I too like to sit in the front when i'm alone
always like to have a chat with the taxi drivers, they must be bored after all
have heard many nice stories this way