Singapore Expats

Another FDW question

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Another FDW question

Post by Fortan » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 4:16 pm

Are you obliged to pay for things such as toothpaste, shampoo, soap for your FDW or does that come out of her own pocket? Did the course but can't remember. Situation is that we sent her to do some grocery shopping and when she returned, she had bought those things without asking, so was just wondering whether to throw a fit or if that is normal?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 4:45 pm

Yes you are. There are several ways of dealing with this - out of the housekeeping money you give her or as a separate allowance for her to use are two ways we have dealt with this. She is not meant to use her own salary for normal day to day items such as toothpaste, food, toiletries, tampons etc. Basically the job is meant to be 'fully found'.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 5:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:Yes you are. There are several ways of dealing with this - out of the housekeeping money you give her or as a separate allowance for her to use are two ways we have dealt with this. She is not meant to use her own salary for normal day to day items such as toothpaste, food, toiletries, tampons etc. Basically the job is meant to be 'fully found'.
Ok, great to know. I was more annoyed at the fact that she just bought stuff without consulting me first. We'll have to set a budget then. Any ideas, recommendations?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 5:43 pm

Fortan wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Yes you are. There are several ways of dealing with this - out of the housekeeping money you give her or as a separate allowance for her to use are two ways we have dealt with this. She is not meant to use her own salary for normal day to day items such as toothpaste, food, toiletries, tampons etc. Basically the job is meant to be 'fully found'.
Ok, great to know. I was more annoyed at the fact that she just bought stuff without consulting me first. We'll have to set a budget then. Any ideas, recommendations?
$10/$20 a week I'd guess. Depends a bit on how much clothing and consumables she goes through.

I should add that our FDW seems to be able to make her allowance go a long way - they know all the little shops in our area that sell the dirt cheap parallel imported stuff from Thailand etc (rather than the brand names sold through the official channels).