Singapore Expats

LETTER FROM SINGAPORE MINDEF FREAKING OUT MY WIFE

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
CompassROSE

LETTER FROM SINGAPORE MINDEF FREAKING OUT MY WIFE

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:36 am

Hello Everyone,

I have searched through the forum to find something related to our 'problem'.
I did find the EXEMPTION FROM MINDEF threads. Very informative. However, my wife is still freaking out over my decision.

I am an AMERICAN citizen married a Singaporean in 1995. Our first born was borned in Singapore 1996. At birth, a Singapore birth cert was given to us. I went to the Singapore American Embassy to register his birth - n a AMERICAN birth cert was given to us. When our son is 9 months old, my wife retired from her job and we move to the USA.

My wife has sinced became a US citizen.

During our time in Singapore, my baby son has no SINGAPORE passport.

When we left in Singapore in 1996, our son was travelling with a USA PASSPORT. Because I am am AMERICAN, therefore my son regardless of his birthplace is AMERICAN.

All his schoolings are of course within the USA.

Now, this letter came to us asking him to register for National Service.

Should I ignore it or contact MINDEF (letter or fax) that my son is an AMERICAN who only has an AMERICAN PASSPORT - NO Singapore PASSPORT or SINGAPORE ID OR SINGAPORE PASS.

Meanwhile, my dear wife is freaking out claiming that someone will come in the middle of the nite to get our son while we r sleeping .... blah, blah, blah..... oh yes, my wife has made plans to visit my Singapore in laws in January 2014 - wanting to bring our son back for the Chinese Lunar New year - she is afraid the Singapore govt will stop our son from entering Singapore or worst, nap him at the Airport.

I appreciate any feedback from all of you. Just to put my dear wife at ease.

Thx for taking the time to read this post.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 6:00 am

The fact that he has no Singapore passport is irrelevant. He is a Singapore citizen as you noted. No passport is required to be a citizen. You never thought of this? In fact, it is illegal (to the gov't of Singapore) for him to have both a US and a Singapore passport.

You need a lawyer - in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 6:57 am

scarbowl wrote:The fact that he has no Singapore passport is irrelevant. He is a Singapore citizen as you noted. No passport is required to be a citizen. You never thought of this? In fact, it is illegal (to the gov't of Singapore) for him to have both a US and a Singapore passport.

You need a lawyer - in Singapore.
Scarbowl, not quit correct. He can and is allowed to carry two passports up till the age of 21, at that time he has to renounce on citizenship or the other. Sadly, because the parents didn't follow protocol, he is currently in a world of crap as if he returns to Singapore he could very well be picked up as a deserter.

MS can give her the lowdown and possible scenarios, but in theory, because he as never had a NRIC nor Passport and I am assuming he was taken out of Singapore before the age of 5 or 6, it should be a relatively easy matter to get it sorted out, especially if the mother has already given up her Singapore Citizenship.

Mad Scientist, throw your hat into the ring here. Thanks mate!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 7:01 am

CompassROSE,

I know where you are coming from. My wife is a Singaporean and I'm an American. We have two, a boy & a girl with dual citizenship as well. However, I believe in military service (i'm a VN vet) so I wanted to ensure my son did military service. However, I didn't want him to have to fight in a way that wasn't our battle so I figured Singapore NS was the safer method. Of course that meant he had to register under the US Selective Service as well as register for NS (We stayed in Singapore). My son did his 2 years and is out w.e.f. May this year. He's none the worse for wear, and in fact better for it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CompassROSE

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 7:05 am

Will check on more of this.

Seriously, I am an American who had a child born in Singapore during my time there and had registered the birth at the American Embassy. He was nine mths old and we left. He never attended schools there - so there is no 'benefits' that he has claimed from the Singapore government.

I will definately contact MINDEF and seek a Singapore lawyer on this.

Then again, what about foreign couples who happen to have a child born in Singapore during a vacation or a career move. Those babies are also required to serve NS??

Speaking of the SINGAPORE NATIONAL SERVICE, I am not against it.
In fact, I believe it is a brilliant idea for all the young people to go through girls and boys too.

If our son really has to do this, we will prep ourselves for it. Besides, my Singapore-in-laws have children who has been through NS.

Meantime, I will contact MINDEF immediate.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 7:12 am

Read this:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

Beginning of thread, under dual citizenship paragraph.

CompassROSE

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 7:24 am

Thx SundayMorningStaple!

Still, I make sure I have all the facts b4 approaching my wife.

This only confirms that my wife is right. I cannot just IGNORE the letter.
I have to response.

We have 2 children : sons. One born in Singapore. The other in USA.

Appreciate all the headsup.

CompassROSE

#THXVERYMUCH, X9200!!1

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 7:30 am

That is some fantastic information!!!!

My wife is quite at ease now. Alls' well within the household;)))

-
The Carps in Louisiana

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:18 am

Where'bouts in Louisiana?

I lived in Morgan City for 7 years before coming to Singapore back in '82 on a 12 month contract. Only problem is, I never left! 31 years later I still find myself here! ;-)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:43 am

It's interesting how children born here who have moved due to their their parents, get 'punished' into serving NS here.

What's the motive? They're not going to make 'loyal to SG' people out of them are they? More likely to breed haters.

Is it meant to tax the parents, and discourage them from being quitters?

CompassROSE

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:59 am

Hey, SMS

We're in Thibodaux, Louisiana. Not far from Morgan city and New Orleans.

Geaux SAINTS!

Missing mudbugs/crawfish?? or you r doing it in Singapore with chilly crabs??

By the way, am grateful for all the headsup and that site that x9200 gave me - was a lifesaver for me. At least, the info calm my wife's nerves down;) She is a worrier.

-
The Carps

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:22 am

Dayam! I do miss a good bucket of mudbugs now & again. Fortunately, my wife makes a awfully mean pot of chili crab. That and the fact that I'm actually not a coonass but a Shorebird from the eastern shore of Maryland, I always keep a lot of good ole Old Bay Seasoning, it's hard to get good crab boil spices here without makin' yer own. I do deep fry my Turkeys here though, as I have a nice Cajun Stainless Frying/Steaming rig here. I've done a lot of Hurricane Parties in Thibodaux and spent a lot of time in Houma as well. I actually lived in Bayou Vista on the Franklin side of Morgan Sewer! ;-)

Yeah, the Dual citizenship thing is a bit of a bother but if you plan it right it can work out okay. Tell the little lady to breath a little easier.

sms

CompassROSE

Shorebird from Maryland .. huh;)

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:10 pm

SMS,

So u called yourself a Shorebird - downsouth, we call u guys "Snowbirds".

For my crawfish boil - I use CHACKBAY SEASONING (great stuff and hot). Sure u know by now - u can always get TONY'S at one those supermarts
under the Singapore 'Twin Towers' - Jason's.

We used to live behind the 4Seasons Hotel. 4 Storey walkup apartments -
probably now those apartments r gone for condos now.

Take care. All the bests in Singapore!

-
The Carps

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:17 pm

Private convo > Private.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 2:26 pm

JR8 wrote:It's interesting how children born here who have moved due to their their parents, get 'punished' into serving NS here.

What's the motive? They're not going to make 'loyal to SG' people out of them are they? More likely to breed haters.

Is it meant to tax the parents, and discourage them from being quitters?
Perhaps it isn't "punishment" to be called to do one's NS? Essentially, though, it's the "price of citizenship" for males. If you don't want to do it you have to renounce citizenship in a timely manner. That's all it takes and it doesn't sound like a burden to do so.

I don't think doing NS is going to "breed haters" as a result but rather to appreciate the country of their citizenship.

At least they don't have to pay Singapore taxes while living abroad - the "price" for American citizenship!