Singapore Expats

Military jets doing bombing runs over town

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Military jets doing bombing runs over town

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 1:40 pm

Is there a need for these jets to be doing ultra-low-level bombing runs over the city centre, every day, or is it just meant to instil fear in the citizens and residents?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:13 pm

I live and work around Bukit Timah where we are constantly being overflown by jets and choppers, and I mean constantly. I appear to be right under their flight path. The windows of my office vibrate something chronic when Chinooks head over and the jets are a nuisance even in the late evening.

It's worse then even my first office here, in Eunos, right at the end of the military airstrip there.

I always feel it's the governments way of reinforcing the local's sense of paranoia and, yes, as you say, making out everybody is out to attack Singapore. It's the same with the land crossings to Malaysia, I mean how many barriers and speed bumps do you need, even on the way OUT??

Isn't it stated somewhere that Singapore's military spending is higher than Malaysia and Indonesia combined?

We're only one stop away from police with rifles walking down Orchard Rd.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:30 pm

They know when I start my telephone conference calls around 4pm each day :-(

eastcoastsg

Post by eastcoastsg » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:36 pm

Well you have to admit that they need to warm-up those jet engines somehow. And given the limited airspace, it is probably easier than doing vertical loops.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Military jets doing bombing runs over town

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:58 pm

JR8 wrote:Is there a need for these jets to be doing ultra-low-level bombing runs over the city centre, every day, or is it just meant to instil fear in the citizens and residents?
no, they are not bombing, they are just trying to do a show of force ;)

Well, in reality, Military Jets are loud .. (though some can be stealth) as they aren't bound by the Cat 2 / Cat 3 Noise rules .. :D

What you hear is normal Jets in operation, and with the Singapore AF getting more F15s based here, I guess that's the reason for more noise ..

Nothing new ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:57 pm

JR8 wrote:Is there a need for these jets to be doing ultra-low-level bombing runs over the city centre, every day, or is it just meant to instil fear in the citizens and residents?
The real Airstrip One?
Isn't it stated somewhere that Singapore's military spending is higher than Malaysia and Indonesia combined?
When discussing all of the 'unused' space reserved for the military in the NW of Singapore, someone I know (in NS just returning from their annual thing) was quite proudly telling me how the NS has trained for and could have bridges deployed over the causeway and tanks rolling into Johor in under 20 minutes. How true that is, I don't know. I did have a GI Joe toy in the late 80s that could do it, on a smaller scale. :cool:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:16 am

In all fairness, if Singapore spends less, I am sure more than enough neighbours will want to push their luck and try to divert attention from domestic problems ..

You are aware of the recent Invasion of Malaysia by Philippines rebels right ? and the back ground story is, they were funded to divert attention of PH economic problems ..
When discussing all of the 'unused' space reserved for the military in the NW of Singapore, someone I know (in NS just returning from their annual thing) was quite proudly telling me how the NS has trained for and could have bridges deployed over the causeway and tanks rolling into Johor in under 20 minutes. How true that is, I don't know. I did have a GI Joe toy in the late 80s that could do it, on a smaller scale. :cool:
Well, what do you think Singapore is doing with the thousands of hectares of land leased in Australia, the Cazaux Air Base in France and parts of Texas ?? :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:36 am

ecureilx wrote:
In all fairness, if Singapore spends less, I am sure more than enough neighbours will want to push their luck and try to divert attention from domestic problems ..

You are aware of the recent Invasion of Malaysia by Philippines rebels right ? and the back ground story is, they were funded to divert attention of PH economic problems ..
Well, what do you think Singapore is doing with the thousands of hectares of land leased in Australia, the Cazaux Air Base in France and parts of Texas ?? :)
One day someone scrolling through Google Earth will find a replica of the Straits of Johor.... in Australia or somewhere else.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:25 am

Hahahaha!! Good one.

Reminiscent of -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNo0BicRM8k
WAG THE DOG - Trailer - (1997)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:59 am

ecureilx wrote: Well, what do you think Singapore is doing with the thousands of hectares of land leased in Australia, the Cazaux Air Base in France and parts of Texas ?? :)
Montana too. Ironic to think the gahmen could probably lease (or even buy! Freehold!) more land in Montana than all of SG combined, for about 1/100th the psf cost :D

HOTXFIL

Post by HOTXFIL » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:59 am

What makes you think they're doing bombing runs?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:03 pm

HOTXFIL wrote:
What makes you think they're doing bombing runs?
What else are jets going over, and over, and again at 3000ft doing?

Dropping flowers on the people?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:25 pm

Dry runs for dropping helpful propaganda leaflets.

'How to politely enter and exit MRT trains'

'Multi tasking tips, how to use your mobile phone in public and have spacial awareness'

'Spitting in public, how to anticipate wind direction'

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:29 pm

JR8 wrote: What else are jets going over, and over, and again at 3000ft doing?

Dropping flowers on the people?

Didn't you get them during the 20min runs this morning around 8am.....grr, over my house again. :cry:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:40 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: Didn't you get them during the 20min runs this morning around 8am.....grr, over my house again. :cry:
Yeah, awful. I've never known it anywhere else. In fact, I don't recall it being like this the previous 2-3 times I'm lived here.

It's intimidating and nasty. And since every take-out carton, and warted durian, in this country is planned, and legislated for, I can only imagine these rather terrifying fly-overs .... every single day... ---- .... again and again .... are a part of a plan.