Singapore Expats

EP renewal taking longer than validity, plus impact on PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jpatokal

EP renewal taking longer than validity, plus impact on PR

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:19 pm

Long time no see, Singapore Expats. :cool: And while what I'm about to ask sounds FAQ-y, I'm not having much luck finding hard data searching here or on MOM's site, so here's hoping you've got the answers.

So I'm asking on behalf of a friend who finds himself in a bit of a (potential) pickle. Long story short, his employer only applied to renew his EP one month before its expiry in early Nov, which is technically OK since the cutoff is two weeks. However, MOM came back with a request for supporting documents (tax return, payslips, company financials etc). They were duly submitted, but apparently processing time is now "4 weeks". This means that the renewal may not be processed before his current EP expires. :shock:

If it does indeed drag on longer, what happens? Can/does MOM issue an automatic extension or some sort of bridging visa that lets him stay in Singapore and keep working until they decide yea or nay?

If at the end of the day his renewal is rejected, what happens? This MOM page says a 30-day STVP is granted on cancellation, but does this also apply to refused renewals?

And finally, he has a PR application also pending. If his EP is not renewed, is he required to report this to ICA, and what happens if he gets the PR anyway but is no longer on an EP? The ICA page says that he obviously has to have an EP at time of application, and the Form 4A explanatory notes say that change of address must be notified, but there's nothing that I can see about a change/loss of EP or other work pass status.

Thank ye muchly!
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:48 pm

From my own experience:

- when your EP expires but you are appealing you get an extension for 2 more weeks, but MOM will warn you that they can only do this once;

- databases of ICA and MOM are coupled. As soon as your EP is refused you will get a letter of ICA that they consider your PR request as null and void since "you don't work anymore in Singapore". I got that letter about one month after my original EP expired (EP appeal process took longer...).

- while travelling during my EP appeal process I was stopped when returning to Singapore and questioned how long ago I went back to my "home country" (country of my passport). I got however my 90 days visit pass (I am originally from Europe). Maybe I was lucky because I had a planned visit and could show a flight ticket to my "home" country.

- after I got the EP back, I needed to start the PR process from scratch. I waited a year however (process still pending).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: EP renewal taking longer than validity, plus impact on P

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:35 pm

Hey JP, yeah, it's been a while for sure! Aus must be agreeing with you, yeah?
jpatokal wrote:Long time no see, Singapore Expats. :cool: And while what I'm about to ask sounds FAQ-y, I'm not having much luck finding hard data searching here or on MOM's site, so here's hoping you've got the answers.

So I'm asking on behalf of a friend who finds himself in a bit of a (potential) pickle. Long story short, his employer only applied to renew his EP one month before its expiry in early Nov, which is technically OK since the cutoff is two weeks. However, MOM came back with a request for supporting documents (tax return, payslips, company financials etc). They were duly submitted, but apparently processing time is now "4 weeks". This means that the renewal may not be processed before his current EP expires. :shock:

If it does indeed drag on longer, what happens? Can/does MOM issue an automatic extension or some sort of bridging visa that lets him stay in Singapore and keep working until they decide yea or nay?

We had a similar around 2 years ago. We were also given a 2 week one time extension. Fortunately the renewal came through in time so no further drama (except this morning we got notification on the same guy's current renewal that he will NOT be renewed) This is an S pass situation, not EP but I don't think they are handled any differently. The company will have to write a letter to MOM to request the extension of the pass. It will probably be given if the application is already pending.

If at the end of the day his renewal is rejected, what happens? This MOM page says a 30-day STVP is granted on cancellation, but does this also apply to refused renewals?

If a renewal is rejected, they are also given a 30 day SVP as well. No worries on that part. In fact, the employer just prints it out from the MOM EPOL site.

And finally, he has a PR application also pending. If his EP is not renewed, is he required to report this to ICA, and what happens if he gets the PR anyway but is no longer on an EP? The ICA page says that he obviously has to have an EP at time of application, and the Form 4A explanatory notes say that change of address must be notified, but there's nothing that I can see about a change/loss of EP or other work pass status.

There will probably be an impact on the PR application. I'd wait on the notification at least until such time as the SVP runs out. If the extension and subsequent 30 days runs out the odds are that the PR will not be granted as per the poster above. I don't think you will find anything in black & white though. I've never seen it, just anecdotal evidence over the years. Personally, I don't think I would notify ICA until such time as I found another job. Then inform them of the new job. If as the poster above mentioned, now that the databases are all linked, it's quite possible that, yeah, the PR application will become null & void. I think I'd cross that bridge when I got to it.

Thank ye muchly!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:47 am

Your's friend's employer should have applied atleast 2 months before the expiry of current EP, just like my previous employer used to do. 1 month in advance is just too risky especially in current circumstances. His employer is really douche.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:57 pm

Wd40 wrote:Your's friend's employer should have applied atleast 2 months before the expiry of current EP, just like my previous employer used to do. 1 month in advance is just too risky especially in current circumstances. His employer is really douche.
Well the employer may be 'douche' or they may just have been ignorant or forgetful. Amounts to the same thing I guess, but either way it will be the employee who suffers more. So my recommendation (for future readers of this thread) would be to NOT simply rely on your employer to start the renewal process in good time. When I was holding an EP I would make a diary note for about three months before the EP expiry date, to start the renewal conversaion and preparations.
Be careful what you wish for

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the advice! Fortunately MOM came through in under two weeks and approved his EP, so all is good now. 8-)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 9:06 pm

Good to hear, JP.

Shame you aren't in town to drop in on one of our Eagle's meetup at Saint's place down on Boat Quay.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers