Singapore Expats

Bulk dried fruit/nuts?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brisvegan

Bulk dried fruit/nuts?

Post by Brisvegan » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 6:43 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please redirect me if needed.

Anyone know of where I can buy things like dried fruit and nuts in bulk for a reasonable price? The prices I see in supermarkets seem extortionate. Happy to go to markets/anywhere that I can find a good deal.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bulk dried fruit/nuts?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:00 pm

Brisvegan wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please redirect me if needed.

Anyone know of where I can buy things like dried fruit and nuts in bulk for a reasonable price? The prices I see in supermarkets seem extortionate. Happy to go to markets/anywhere that I can find a good deal.
china town, the row towards South Bridge road, from MRT, has a lot of shops selling dried seeds and stuff ..

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 9:48 am

Opposite Fu Lu shou Building at Rochor Centre, there is a hawker centre. On the third floor is the wholesale centre for dried products including nuts.

The next one I can think of is Victoria wholesale centre along Kallang Ave. They are the importer and exporter for dried products. They do sell to individuals too

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 9:54 am

Mustaffa.

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:04 am

Thank you. I have been meaning to post a similar question, looking for oats, rolled oats, and dried fruits. The combination of food allergies and price of imported snack bars for kids has me looking at homemade options.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:22 pm

We buy this stuff in bulk from these folks:

http://gardenpicks.com.sg/

We've been pleased with the pricing and quality of products they sell. Their service has been good and I believe they have free delivery for orders over $50. (No, I'm not on commission :) ).
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:52 pm

Nice link. I love trail mixes. The ability to build my own mix is dangerous though! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:55 pm

jk21 wrote:Thank you. I have been meaning to post a similar question, looking for oats, rolled oats, and dried fruits. The combination of food allergies and price of imported snack bars for kids has me looking at homemade options.
Have you had a look at Carmen's of Australia? They have a nice selection of very nice Granola bars and cereals that may well fit the bill but you will have to check as I'm not up on all the various and sundry food allergies. I go through two boxes a week normally. (12 bars).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 3:18 pm

Thank you for the link. I have been meaning to ask as nearly that time of the year, whereby I start thinking about the Christmas Cake. I have the alcohol already - legal and through custom, each time I travel in and out of the country.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 7:28 pm

That sounds like my kind of Christmas cake - Hic!

SMS, I like Carman's granola bars too; less sickly sweet than the regular type, and if they're not absolutely good for you, they must at least be less bad for you than the industrial grade alternatives.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 11:04 am

I don't rate Mustapha for anything much these days. I reckon you pay a premium which pays for all the cashiers to have an extra kip on the till or play Candy Crush during business hours. I was there last night as I do rate their boneless mutton. However, the stench of rotting fish made me abandon the mission. It really was appalling ! Best place I've discovered for all things in bulk is the Wholesale Food Market opposite Haw Par Villa. You don't have to be a trader and plenty of bargains in there.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:35 am

There are a number of food stalls at Hong Lim Complex on Cross Street in Chinatown that sell nuts / dried fruits at decent prices. Not sure what kind of organic selection, though, if that's important to you.

Brisvegan

Post by Brisvegan » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 9:57 am

Thanks for all the replies and tips! Glad to hear this thread is useful for others too!

I ended up heading to the building opposite the Fu Lu Shou building that local lad recommended. So it's actually called the Albert Centre Food Centre (270 Queen Street, Singapore 180270 - Off the Albert St mall, behind Rochor Rd, closest MRT Bugis) and it was really good! The third floor is full of stalls selling dried fruits, nuts, seeds, snacks, and all the usual drief seafood stuff. I found there was a huge range, everybody let me try things, quality was good, and prices were great. You have to ask around to get the best prices on each things but generally you could get whatever quantity you wanted. I ended up paying prices like $8 for 1kg dried apricots, $8 for 500g USA cranberries, $11 for 500g Philippines dried mango, and $10 for 500g peeled hazelnuts. I can't remember all the prices I got but I checked them against that Garden Picks website and they were all cheaper. Could be a bit inconvenient for some and I wasn't too fussed about organic etc (although some things certainly were branded as organic) but I think it's definitely worth a trip if you want to get a bunch of things in large quantities. Some of the stalls offered to bag things up and seal them in smaller quantities for freshness, which I found useful too. I was really pleased with this find!

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:27 am

I followed Mi Amigo's suggestion and tried out Garden Picks. Very impressed. As a test, I went for free delivery and ordered just over $50 worth of the 3 bags for $10. Wanted to try lots of different things. While we haven't tried everything, yet, the dried fruit has been fantastic, especially the golden raisins and the dried mango. I am not normally a raisin fan but figured I needed some for the pantry. Their golden raisins will convert me into being a raisin eater...big, soft, and sweet.

I bought a bag of figs and dates for a friend. The dates looked so good that it took all my will power not to cut into the bag. That would have been a lovely gesture, here is your bag of dates, well almost. Dates will be part of my next order.

For price comparison, I was comparing them with what I was buying from grocery stores, mainly Giant, Fair Price and a few more-western items from Cold Storage. For price, selection, and quality Garden Picks has replaced my buying these items from the grocery.
Mi Amigo wrote:We buy this stuff in bulk from these folks:

http://gardenpicks.com.sg/

We've been pleased with the pricing and quality of products they sell. Their service has been good and I believe they have free delivery for orders over $50. (No, I'm not on commission :) ).

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:10 pm

jk21, glad to hear that Garden Picks worked out well for you - I'm always hesitant in making recommendations like this in case someone has a bad experience afterwards, so it's good to know that you were happy with them.

Also good to hear from Brisvegan about the sellers at the Albert Centre Food Centre. So it looks like there are two good options available - one if you have the time to go and select your merchandise, and the other if you want the convenience of online ordering and delivery to your door.