Singapore Expats

Stolen wallet, lost Dependant Pass/FIN cards

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 12 Oct 2013 6:39 pm

These are valid concerns. Thanks for posting them.
Well, a local, at least in theory, can vote for change. (And they could also leave, if they want.)
But many foreigners who complain a lot about their host country need to realize that it's not up to them to criticize how Singaporeans run their country. The only thing we can do is vote with our feet.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Oct 2013 6:59 pm

If this is to point out potential or real problems it has its value and the country may benefit from it. I even dare to say, we are also here for that reason. What I think is bad and the foreigners should avoid doing is to criticize in the intention to show (imaginary or not) they are better.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 12 Oct 2013 7:16 pm

Isn't the point that no one here is free to criticise the host state, neither citizens, PRs, nor people here temporarily?

What happened to 'No taxation without representation'?

p.s. And that's about as close to the wind, as I'm willing to venture.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Sat, 12 Oct 2013 11:04 pm

Being at clarke quay/robertson quay on most of the weekends, i often get random ic checks by the police. I usually just show my drivers license and they are totally okay with that, so those of you who have drivers license can use that instead of your IC

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 9:48 am

mystic_river wrote:Being at clarke quay/robertson quay on most of the weekends, i often get random ic checks by the police. I usually just show my drivers license and they are totally okay with that, so those of you who have drivers license can use that instead of your IC
This really surprises me, might it be a recent thing?

I have never once had the police ask to see my IC, down at the quays*, or anywhere else.

Plus, take that a step or two further, are tourists in SG expected to carry id on them?

* I haven't been down there though for 3 or so years.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:52 am

I have. In fact, when I do rounds with the local constabulary in our housing estate. We (the police) check all id's of anybody we find loitering around in the void decks if they look out of place/ drinking / making substantial amounts of noise / are had complaints from residents of unruly behaviour. So, yeah, I'm sure they do random checks. You've just been lucky.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 12:57 pm

Never carry my ID, I'm far too clumsy with things like that, invariably end of misplacing them. Never been asked to ID myself in my coming up to 15 years here. I guess I'm just way too handsome.

Edit: tweaking a bit.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 1:11 pm

I was 2 times but there were clear reasons for this - I was within some sensitive areas.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 1:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have. In fact, when I do rounds with the local constabulary in our housing estate. We (the police) check all id's of anybody we find loitering around in the void decks if they look out of place/ drinking / making substantial amounts of noise / are had complaints from residents of unruly behaviour. So, yeah, I'm sure they do random checks. You've just been lucky.
That's basically the reason why I and my friends often get checked by the police - drinking at Robertson Quay along the river behind a very popular club in Singapore :D

SMS, an off topic question: I was once caught with the intention of urinating in public. The NEA officer saw me but as I didn't pee (I was going to tho), he took my IC, noted down my particulars and gave me a warning. No fine or anything. Would you have any idea if this warning would actually be taken into consideration if I were to apply for SC?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 1:49 pm

x9200 wrote:As for not carrying the ID I don't expect they would be very harsh on you but they still have to confirm your identity somehow.
[Rewinding a few steps :)]

Why do the police 'have to' confirm the identity of a completely innocent passer-by?'

Plenty of countries don't have an ID card system. In fact in the UK you don't even need to physically carry a driving license to drive (and most don't). If you get pulled over and police want to see your license, you have 24hrs to present it at a police station (which conveniently achieves it's objective).

So where is the justification for having to confirm your identity, '24/7', here?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 2:11 pm

Because it happens to be the policy of the country you are in? Seams reasonably to me. Their country,their rules. If you visit a country, you should be aware of the rules. Hence warning on drugs posted and even strongly warned on incoming flights.

What's that old saying? Ignorance of the law is no excuse? Even less excuse today than it was, say, 20 years ago when there was no easily available online references.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 2:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Because it happens to be the policy of the country you are in? Seams reasonably to me. Their country,their rules. If you visit a country, you should be aware of the rules. Hence warning on drugs posted and even strongly warned on incoming flights.

What's that old saying? Ignorance of the law is no excuse? Even less excuse today than it was, say, 20 years ago when there was no easily available online references.

Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't my angle.

I appreciate it's their law/policy, their country their rules etc etc. But most laws exist for a reason*, most of which seem to focus on aiming to dissuade behaviour that harms, or potentially harms society as a whole.

Why should my wife, who has 'never said boo to a goose' [i.e. broken even the most minor/trivial of laws] have to carry an IC 24/7, *AND* then face unjustifiably large re-issue/punishment fees, in the case that she might one day lose it, or have it stolen?

In other words. In the States, you don't have to carry id, so why here?

[*I'm not trying to have a P'ing contest :)... I'm honestly just trying to understand what this reason is]

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 2:34 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:As for not carrying the ID I don't expect they would be very harsh on you but they still have to confirm your identity somehow.
[Rewinding a few steps :)]

Why do the police 'have to' confirm the identity of a completely innocent passer-by?'

Plenty of countries don't have an ID card system. In fact in the UK you don't even need to physically carry a driving license to drive (and most don't). If you get pulled over and police want to see your license, you have 24hrs to present it at a police station (which conveniently achieves it's objective).

So where is the justification for having to confirm your identity, '24/7', here?
I am pretty sure you know the reasons why do they want to do this. I don't mind such checks at all. It is always relative and subjective when it comes to perception of freedom. How about camera surveillance of public places? Why do they need to monitor or record completely innocent passers-by?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 2:55 pm

x9200 wrote:I am pretty sure you know the reasons why do they want to do this. I don't mind such checks at all. It is always relative and subjective when it comes to perception of freedom. How about camera surveillance of public places? Why do they need to monitor or record completely innocent passers-by?
All I can think of right now is intimidation.

I don't mind CCTV, it records everyone equally, and can provide vital evidence after an event. With ID-checking, it's a more personal level, and it's not random is it, you have been profiled as 'requiring checking'.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 3:34 pm

So would it be ok if they check everybody?
intimidation? I feel much more comfortable with the police here than in any of the Western countries. I never seen local police with arrogant or bullying attitude. I think the right word is discouragement. Besides, outside the cctv areas it may help in some cases to track those not that innocent. Lastly, I don't think these are random people being checked.