Singapore Expats

Driving query

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Driving query

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:38 am

So, I need some advice. OH had a spell of road rage at a parking lot yesterday. He was in the process of backing his car out of the space, when a driver flew around the corner at speed, yup and started honking continously at him.

He flew off the handle, came out of his car and yell at her. No kicking of the tyre, no draging her out etc. Just yelled at her, then got back into his car and proceeded to reverse out again and left.

As he was leaving, he noticed that she readjusted her rear view mirror. Now he's paranoid about her, and she perhaps had a camera there and what's the effect of his rage.

He heard from some of his mates at the club that there was an incident months back, whereby a caucausion yelled at a cabbie, cabbie follwoed him home then pressed charges and the guys was sent away for 6months.

surely, it has to be some sort of an GBH/ABH?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:45 am

In reverse, I saw a guy crossing the road a while back and a driver slammed on the horn because she had to stop to let him cross when she obviously didn't want to. The guy stopped to take a picture of her license plate on his mobile phone.

I think complaining about this kind of thing is cultural here so it is possible a complaint could be made against your other half.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:52 am

Cameras on dashboards are getting more common these days, with the rising numbers of idiots on the road (even drivers who install them themselves) as proof in event of accidents. Not sure if they come with audio recording as well.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 9:22 am

If no physical assault occurred then there is no charge likely IMO.

Singapore doesn't seem to prosecute verbal battery in this type of scenario but you might get a ticking off from a SPF officer or a cease/desist letter.

Women however are somewhat protected from verbal abuse that is sexually oriented (google "outrage of modesty") so tell your OH to keep his calm around women and not to call them rude names.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 9:31 am

Thank you for your responses.
Driving standards here is appalling, OH moans all the time that he is forced to drive defensively.
Those cameras on the dashboard, is it admissible as evidence?
If it is a zebra crossing; surely the lady has to allow the bloke to cross the road?
The carpark, has to have CCTV cameras, right that can show that she bombed down at great speed?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:27 am

Wouldn't worry about it. Singaporeans, on a whole, are a complaining lot, but actually do nothing about it eg grumbling but continuing to elect same govt....

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:51 am

You'll find videos all over YouTube and Stomp with numbnuts making complaints when half the time, if they knew the law, they'd realise that what they were complaining about doesn't make sense and it only highlights their own stupidity.

On the other hand, if you get hooked on YouTube follow some links off to view all the Russian in-car shots and come away feeling SG is paradise in comparison.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:10 am

Russian car crashes dashboard cam videos are one of my favorites but actually as of the drivers behavior (while driving) is very comparable to Singapore. The major difference I could see is if an accident happens in Russia nobody stops the car except of the involved parties. Oh, maybe one more unimportant difference, nobody in Singapore uses guns to convince the other driver.