Singapore Expats

PR application > pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 9:48 am

ludwig12 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ludwig12 wrote: Can you be more explicit in what your definition of PR abuser is?
Someone, who in their post, is trying to justify their future move as if it is already anticipated. These people should not take up PR until they are sure they want to stay here for the long term, otherwise they should just stay on their EP or PEP, leaving the PR for those who KNOW what they want. Capisce?
ludwig12 wrote:I can certainly understand and appreciate many people are determined to make SG their lifelong journey but I also believe we should respect other people making decision for their family's best interest. This should be rather common as SG is a trading hub therefore one can expect to have worldwide opportunities.
I do agree with you that if one already see him/herself leaving then there is no point applying for PR. The point that I was trying to make is that every one should have the right to decide what is in his/her best interest. If one gets PR or SC and do everything by the book (i.e. fulfill his obligations), it is perfectly reasonable to makes a decision to leave based on his/her individual reasons at a future time. I am sure you are not saying every PR/SC who migrate to other countries are abusers, or are you?

Again, if government feels that there are strings should be attached such as NS, make it clear to the applicants so they understand the consequences before applying.
Part of ones duty in a civilized society is to educate oneself of ones obligations under the law. In a country like Singapore this is easy, the laws and regulations are open, published and in English. To claim ignorance about the NS situation (for example), is no different to claiming ignorance when charged with a crime.

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 9:52 am

I do not deny PR abuser is one of the reason where PR's subsidies is severely reduce. But I think the main reason is still come down to the ability to vote in election.
Although there is call to differentiate local born and new citizen, I just dun see new citizen subsidies being reduced when they can cast their vote.
History and real life teach me that when people want to do something, they will just come out with all sorts of reason. When a country want to declare, they will come out with the most righteous reasons. History is written by winner anyway.

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 10:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The strings are quite clearly attached, re NS. Those who take up PR without taking up PR for their sons are the biggest abusers. Thankfully, the Gahmen as wised up now and if you don't apply for your male children, either you will be rejected for PR or you may find, if you do have PR, your REP may well not be renewed. It's about time the abusers are nipped in the bud so there are slots open for more deserving families.

It's because of this abuse that PRs are now having their subsidies severely curtailed, reduced and/or eliminated.
I don't think we are saying anything different here. If government/populace feels that there are more conditions (other than NS) to be met to qualify for PR, then make them part of the qualifications so only suitable people are attracted.

In many countries that I know of, citizenship is more of a political right (being able to vote, serve in public services etc.). PR and even residents on work visa who pay taxes are entitled to pretty much the same social benefits. I do not believe that is the philosophy here but I guess this is another topic altogether, so I will stop here.

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 10:33 am

PNGMK wrote: Part of ones duty in a civilized society is to educate oneself of ones obligations under the law. In a country like Singapore this is easy, the laws and regulations are open, published and in English. To claim ignorance about the NS situation (for example), is no different to claiming ignorance when charged with a crime.
Agreed. It is one's responsibility to fulfill his obligations as a consequence to the decisions one made for him/herself.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 10:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Your statements are completely irrelevant to the topic we are discussing. I dont care if Indons find it easier than Indians to get an Aussie PR.

Our point is Singapore is not the stepping stone. Period. You seem to have become a sinkie yourself. Just because you cannot prove your point, you bring everything else that is irrelevant, into the discussion :lol:
I brought up this discussion because I was hearing a lot about people using Singapore as a stepping stone and wasn't sure if it's more of a punch line than a real thing.

From the discussion, it seems to be over stated and the only benefit I see from the Red passport is not needing a tourist/business visa to most countries. It is NOT a stepping stone to any country (given all the wait/uncertainty involved).

It sure may be a backup plan for many people though.
Do you know how long the legal pathway to a greencard is now? About 10 years. Do you know how long the legal pathway to US Citizenship is now? (even with a US spouse - I know this for that exact reason) - 15 years. All of that assuming you can even get a visa or job in the first place.

The sort of people who abuse SPR are the sort who are looking to cut those ridiculous lines.
This is incorrect, US greencard goes by your country of birth not by your citizenship. So having a Singapore citizenship has NO impact on your US greencard processing, anyone born in India is still a Indian for US Perm.

On the other hand, anyone born in Singapore or (almost anywhere except India/China) can get a US green card in NO time even if he has Indian citizenship.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 11:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The strings are quite clearly attached, re NS. Those who take up PR without taking up PR for their sons are the biggest abusers. Thankfully, the Gahmen as wised up now and if you don't apply for your male children, either you will be rejected for PR or you may find, if you do have PR, your REP may well not be renewed. It's about time the abusers are nipped in the bud so there are slots open for more deserving families.

It's because of this abuse that PRs are now having their subsidies severely curtailed, reduced and/or eliminated.
+1

I totally agree with this.

In addition to this, I also think applying for PR unless you have made up your mind to settle down in a country is a abuse (Whether it's Singapore or any other country).

My only thing is I am unable to see SC as a stepping stone to a western country for most Indians. Most Indians I see on this post are actually engineers (credibility of Indian education is a different and a very valid debate). I don's see a lot of nurses from India on this forum.

All I am saying is SC seems overhyped as a stepping stone.