Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapour

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Antoine02141

Moving to Singapour

Post by Antoine02141 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to Singapore at the end of the month and I will be looking for an apartment.

So I want your advice: Should i live alone or with a roommate?

Is it possible to have a nice modern apartment in a condo (one bedroom) for less Than 3000$

Thank you for your advice

Cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:54 pm

Depends on your budget. If you have the budget, alone is always better. But if your budget is tight or you are out to save as much as possible, then a roomie is better.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:58 pm

Depends what you want. If far out suburbia or hdb is ok then yes. If you want near the fun stuff and facilities and a gym then no. You just need to figure out your priorities. Facilities or privacy.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 6:32 am

In east coast you can get 1 bdrm condo for under 3K and be 15 minutes from the city by public transport. Look around katong, siglap etc. Look on this site and also .

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 7:13 am

3k for an apartment is good enough now in many areas including Bukit Batok / Upper Bukit Timach. "Nice" is subjective, but I believe there are also nice apartment in this price range. You have to visit the places before renting anything out so you will see anyway whether you like it or not.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 2:33 pm

That's the suburbia I live in. Nothing is very far here.

Ancaro

Job in HK, live in Singapore - is it possible?

Post by Ancaro » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 5:26 pm

Hi there! There is any possibility to live in Singapore if my husband would have an expat job in Hong Kong as a regional sales manager? He would be under a HK contract, but we would prefere to live in Singapore because of the pollution in HK. His European company does not have any offices or subsidiary in Singapore.
I would appreciate any info or advise! If we do not find a solution we will probably not accept the job offer, it seems to be too risky for my kid's health!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 5:32 pm

It's not going to happen. At best you could live in Hotels for a while but even if you are from a western country, you would not be able to gain any sort of residency visa which would be the only way that you could rent housing of any sort here. There are millions of people living in Hong Kong without any problems. Do let paranoia control you. You read too many sensationalism based news sites.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Job in HK, live in Singapore - is it possible?

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 6:00 pm

Ancaro wrote:Hi there! There is any possibility to live in Singapore if my husband would have an expat job in Hong Kong as a regional sales manager? He would be under a HK contract, but we would prefere to live in Singapore because of the pollution in HK. His European company does not have any offices or subsidiary in Singapore.
I would appreciate any info or advise! If we do not find a solution we will probably not accept the job offer, it seems to be too risky for my kid's health!
Hong Kong is huge and there are plenty of options for your family which will minimize or avoid the pollution. Check out Sai Kung. I know more than a few expats living there. It's a bit of a hike from Central, but the air is really clear and you'll feel a thousand km away from the pollution.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 7:42 pm

yeah, nothing wrong with HK air, otherwise everyone will be dropping off like flies! singapore air is not exactly swiss alps quality!

you can live in singapore if you got kids going to school there. have a read here - http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=174&secid=171

"The purpose in issuing the Visit Passes is for the mothers/ grandmothers to accompany and look after their children/ grandchildren studying in Singapore."