Singapore Expats

What do you need in a salary package

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:55 pm

Because their name would not be Stephen

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:17 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
noskich wrote:You`ve been offered relocation to Singapore so I don`t think your problem is the income, rather the way you (mis)manage your money. 15K should be a pretty laughable amount for a Western expatriate in Singapore with multiple years of experience.
I think that's rather judgemental of you. You know nothing about Stephen's circumstances.

Well, I do know he s been offered paid relocation to Singapore which indicates for sure he has multiple years of experience on an above average salary. Sorry, but not having 15k in those circumstances highly likely means what I assumed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:29 pm

noskich wrote:Because their name would not be Stephen
Oh thanks for telling me. I forgot that Chinese never take english names, and definitely wouldn't use them if they had on an english language web forum.
noskich wrote: Well, I do know he s been offered paid relocation to Singapore which indicates for sure he has multiple years of experience on an above average salary. Sorry, but not having 15k in those circumstances highly likely means what I assumed.
It doesn't indicate shit. I know people that were quite young with certain qualifications that got paid relo packages.

Or, perhaps he just went through a divorce, medical or family emergency, etc. Or maybe he just blew it all at Brix during his time here interviewing.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:23 pm

^^^ Exactly, zzm. This is not the first time we've had noskich making wild assumptions or unhelpful comments on here.
Be careful what you wish for

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:49 pm

Or maybe he is as rich as Croeses but it's all in bonds or what have you.

I'm really hoping your literal approach to names you think Mi Amigo is latin and I am some sort of kangaroo. That would please me.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:05 pm

Biting my tongue/fingers, to keep from commenting! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:13 am

Boing!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:25 am

¿Qué?
Be careful what you wish for

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 8:52 am

Meow?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 9:40 am

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 1:18 pm

AngMoG wrote:On the "having a car" thing. Unless you get a house/flat which is out of the way (which is your own choice as well!), you should not need one. You can also choose to live not-too-far from work. It is very expensive to buy and to maintain a car, and add to that that it can be difficult to find parking in many malls on weekends, I have always found it no more than a status symbol.

I pay $2.30 or so every day for my commute (my morning one not being free). If I choose to, I can always take a cab for $12-15 one way. Even if I took a cab every day, it would still be a lot cheaper than owning a car. There is the occasional hassle when it is difficult to get a cab sometimes on weekends, but that has never been a big deal to me. Singapore is safe, and children should be able to take a few stops by public transport on their own, or take the school bus. I did that since primary school (back in Europe, of course).

The only place you can go by car from here anyway is Malaysia... and not sure whether it's worth having a car for that :P
But if your company will pay, or pay you enough money, having a car makes an enormous difference to your quality of life when you have little ones to shuttle around. If they're older and can truck themselves about, not as big an issue.

Taxi service can be really unreliable, and public transit during a rainy rush hour is not a fun place with little kids in tow.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 2:28 pm

I love you three.

A car if it is paid for is just as handy as any other city. I don't fancy doing a big shop in a taxi and on bad weather days it's the only reliable option. Plus car seats in a taxi is not practical and I prefer my tiny strapped in. I like his head the shape it is.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 4:28 pm

The car I am using is free. Other than the fuel, road tax and parking which I pay for (the owner is working in Jkt for 3 years so left it with me rather than rot in be underground pkg lot of his condo). I use the MRT to go to work M~F and only drive the car on Saturday as there is relatively no traffic and I only work a half day on Saturday so it does give me more of the day for my own use.

Having said that, I hate driving on this island. Between the driving at 15km/hr or standing still on major highways during the peak periods, paying horrendous ERP fares and just general aggravation when trying to find parking, I'm much happier with public transport. I rarely use taxis (usually if it's my wife & I and dressed up to attend a function or some such and don't want to get "mussed" up before we get there due to the humidity (or I'm planning on drinking - like the Eagles gatherings) then I use a taxi - or nightrider bus.

I've owned three cars here but don't any longer as I find driving more of a nuisance than a necessity. I sold the last one in 1991. (my tykes were 7 & 2 at the time).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 2:34 pm

I use the MRT for work everyday, MRT is less than 10mins walk from office and house.
OH drives to work M-F with season parking. Weekends when we go out we tend to just take the taxi.
Standard of driving here, *sigh*.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 2:48 pm

Probably "No Standards" would be closer to the point. :-|