Singapore Expats

Retrieving Security Deposit From the Landlord Issue

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
dcw24

Retrieving Security Deposit From the Landlord Issue

Post by dcw24 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:43 am

Hi All,

A couple of flatmates and myself are having issues retrieving our securting deposit from the landlord. We have moved out of our last apartment 4 months ago and our landlord hasn't paid a single dollar of our security deposit. When we finally got in contact with the land lord they have said that in our contract it says that they will pay back in installments of 1k over a 6 month period. Is this common in Singapore? Or are they just screwing with us?

Unfortunately, my flatmate has lost our contract so we don't know if this was in fact in our contract. We have asked them to provide the contract but have yet to receive anything.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Search By

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Retrieving Security Deposit From the Landlord Issue

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:07 pm

dcw24 wrote:Hi All,

A couple of flatmates and myself are having issues retrieving our securting deposit from the landlord. We have moved out of our last apartment 4 months ago and our landlord hasn't paid a single dollar of our security deposit. When we finally got in contact with the land lord they have said that in our contract it says that they will pay back in installments of 1k over a 6 month period. Is this common in Singapore? Or are they just screwing with us?

Unfortunately, my flatmate has lost our contract so we don't know if this was in fact in our contract. We have asked them to provide the contract but have yet to receive anything.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I don't think that's even legal. Generally, the deposit has to be returned in full (less deductions for repairs, if any) within 14 days. Honestly, I had to be quite strict last time with the agent to get it back in time last time. In your case, I would strongly insist on that 14 day period (after having consulted with CEA possibly).

What does your contract say, though? You should have a copy. I suggest you call up CEA to inform yourself better, and/or check their website. I cannot find anything quickly that applies to your situation, but on a general note, the installment arrangement would likely not hold up in court here, as it puts an undue burden on the leaving tenant. It could even be in the territory of being an interest-free loan.

*edit* I think they are just screwing with you; if they haven't paid anything yet, they are unlikely to pay you back at all. I think it is time to lodge a complaint with CEA (if an agent was involved), and/or file with Small Claims Tribunal.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:24 pm

If you don't have your or any for that matter copy of the contract and don't even remember what was inside then there is no point to consider various options. Either wait patiently or sue the LL in SCT (google it out). There is a good chance the deposit will be returned already at the stage when the LL realize you are serious about sueing him. If he still objects, then maybe it is indeed in the contract and I don't really think that would be illegal.

dcw24

Post by dcw24 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks a lot for this guys, gives me something to think about with my position.