Singapore Expats

Fitness

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:39 pm

nakatago wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:
I dont know if people are aware of this, but soy bean tends to increase estrogen levels ( not what a "man" wants :) )
Not to mention....http://youtu.be/MJjUAXIK6pQ
:) You seem to have a video ready for every situation.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 27 Sep 2013 5:32 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:Half-marathon 9-12 months is not a herculean target. 5 years back I could hardly run 2 km at a stretch and I managed to complete a half-marathon 7 months down the line. I know of several others who have managed to do so. Of course it requires a lot of perseverance and regularity in schedule.
And there is no necessity to complete the half-marathon. A month before the half-marathon I was doing 11-12 km once a week and was able to complete the half-marathon on the D-Day. My muscles were in a bad shape though and it took 4-5 days to return back to normalcy.
Lost about 8 kgs of body fat during my training.
Although it's not a herculean target, I still can't improve my stamina. Once, I'm trying to try half marathon, but only end up with 15 km (I use endomondo to track, so I don't want to mix running and walking). I wonder if I have to do core-exercises :?
"Budget Expat"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 4:15 pm

Resurrecting this thread to ask Wd40 - which health screening package did you take and from which hospital? Did yours come with physical stress test on treadmill?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 4:22 pm

It was company sponsored. There was a choice with lots of top hospitals(Executive health screeners). Since I stay in the east, I chose Parkway East in Eunos.

It was quite comprehensive screening. There was a choice b/w Thread Mill test and Uroflow test. I chose the Uroflow test.

They actually gave me a scare. My blood test showed high levels of potassium , so they called me for retest and next time it was normal and when I asked why the 1st test showed high. They said, may be the sample got shaken or something.

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 7:12 pm

At your BMI/body fat %, I would stay clear of running too much or too fast, too soon. Your muscle mass is very low and you will end up in injuries - knees, ankle and hamstring problems are common, esp. the first two.

I would advise cycling and/or swimming to build muscle strength. Then start fast walking, and only when you can do that without feeling tired or out of breath, go for running.

Disclaimer: do not know anyone who was at that extreme condition as you seem to be (sorry!), but have 15 odd years of experience running, cycling and body-weight exercise; and part of it as university/club captain.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 8:06 pm

HA wrote:At your BMI/body fat %, I would stay clear of running too much or too fast, too soon. Your muscle mass is very low and you will end up in injuries - knees, ankle and hamstring problems are common, esp. the first two.

I would advise cycling and/or swimming to build muscle strength. Then start fast walking, and only when you can do that without feeling tired or out of breath, go for running.

Disclaimer: do not know anyone who was at that extreme condition as you seem to be (sorry!), but have 15 odd years of experience running, cycling and body-weight exercise; and part of it as university/club captain.
You haven't dealt with Indians then :)

http://www.jmnn.org/article.asp?issn=22 ... last=Kalra

Many Indians fit into the category of metabolically obese, normal weight individuals. Despite having lean BMI an adult Indian has more chances of having abdominal obesity. The body fat percentage of an Indian is significantly higher than a western counterpart with similar BMI and blood glucose level. It has been hypothesized that excess body fat and low muscle mass may explain the high prevalence of hyperinsulinemia and the high risk of type-2 diabetes in Asian Indians
Thanks for your suggestions. I think swimming requires the highest amount of stamina. I know the technique of swimming. I am trained. However, no stamina to last even like 3-4 meters. :(

I realize the risk of injuries. I am currently doing brisk walking and light jogging. I am listening to my body and I stop the moment I feel I am stretching.

eastcoastsg

Post by eastcoastsg » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:55 pm

You need to commit to actually exercising and need to stop thinking about what you cannot do and stop making excuses. Keep walking. That's a good start. When was the last time you went swimming and how do you know you can only swim 4 meters if you actually can swim?

Risk of injuries? How about thinking of the longer term effects on your health if you don't keep walking /jogging? Walk as much as you can. If you take the train/bus, get off one stop early. Stay away from desserts and junk and all the stuff you know you shouldn't be doing. It takes a bit of effort and there will be an adjustment period but you will get used to all this and form healthy habits in time. For now, just make that commitment to yourself.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:55 am

eastcoastsg wrote:You need to commit to actually exercising and need to stop thinking about what you cannot do and stop making excuses. Keep walking. That's a good start. When was the last time you went swimming and how do you know you can only swim 4 meters if you actually can swim?

Risk of injuries? How about thinking of the longer term effects on your health if you don't keep walking /jogging? Walk as much as you can. If you take the train/bus, get off one stop early. Stay away from desserts and junk and all the stuff you know you shouldn't be doing. It takes a bit of effort and there will be an adjustment period but you will get used to all this and form healthy habits in time. For now, just make that commitment to yourself.
Thanks for your concern mate. I really appreciate it. There are 2 techiques while swimming. 1 is putting your head down in the water and and only occasionally lifting it up to breath air. The other is to keep it always out of water and keep breathing. The later technique I am really miserable. Not even 4-5 strokes. The former technique, I can put my head inside water and really swim hard for 3 meters, but I will lose breath and with that the stamina as well. I tried it like 6 months ago.

Desserts is not the problem, trust me. Indians DO NOT suffer from excessive calories intake like say Americans. If anything we suffer from less intake of calories. Its just that there is not enough protiens in our diet. Tell me how can a vegetarian diet can ever get you excessive calories? Its just that its the quality of calories that is bad. Too much carbs and too less proteins. So I am not not shy of over eating and over eating the right stuff. Rather than undereating the wrong stuff.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 6:52 am

Having been married to an Indian for 30 years, I find Indian food extremely fattening due to the sugar content of food. Especially deserts & snacks. All the snacks are virtually pure sugar or pure carbohydrates (or both). Add to that, tons of rice and as noted, a scarcity of proteins and there you go. It's why I don't eat too much of it today, eschewing almost all carbs but specifically rice, potatoes, pasta & breads wherever possible.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:46 am

Wd40 wrote:
eastcoastsg wrote:You need to commit to actually exercising and need to stop thinking about what you cannot do and stop making excuses. Keep walking. That's a good start. When was the last time you went swimming and how do you know you can only swim 4 meters if you actually can swim?

Thanks for your concern mate. I really appreciate it. There are 2 techiques while swimming. 1 is putting your head down in the water and and only occasionally lifting it up to breath air. The other is to keep it always out of water and keep breathing. The later technique I am really miserable. Not even 4-5 strokes. The former technique, I can put my head inside water and really swim hard for 3 meters, but I will lose breath and with that the stamina as well. I tried it like 6 months ago.

Those are not even techniques!
Swimming is a very rewarding workout for adults. But if you're unable to sustain your swim (having to stop only after 3-4 metres), it will be unproductive.

For you, you ought to start with simple breast stroke. It is easy, relaxing, first-timer-friendly and it allows you breaks to breathe, unlike front crawl, butterfly stroke or back stroke, which can be scarily technical and intense for newbies. I often recommend this stroke to my students, especially the ones who just wants to be able to swim continuously for workout and nothing else.

http://youtu.be/aY7A5sBf3_E

Once you get a hang of it, you can even complete a lap. Very easy, just pull and kick, pull and kick, pull and kick...

But if you have issues with water confidence, you need to take classes Nevertheless, I highly recommend swimming for you. You can PM me (or create new thread) if you want to know the specifics of swimming (strokes, instructors).

Desserts is not the problem, trust me. Indians DO NOT suffer from excessive calories intake like say Americans.

I'm not sure if you understand the definition of calorie. Indian diet is just as intense in calorie intake - rice, potato etc

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:00 am

Thanks Lynx. I do understand the meaning of calories. Rice is high in calories but not as high as meat.

100 gms of rice is only 111 calories and in a meal we consume like max about 300gms of rice at a time. 100 gms of chicken on the other hand is 219 calories.

A human being needs 2000 calories to just exist, with much of activity.

I have seen locals eating in food courts. The portion of rice and the portion of chicken is same! In Indian diet, its just lots of rice. So calories wise I think both are same. Its just that, the quality of calories is bad, in case of Indian diet.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:06 am

Wd40 wrote:[
Thanks for your suggestions. I think swimming requires the highest amount of stamina. I know the technique of swimming. I am trained. However, no stamina to last even like 3-4 meters. :(
Actually swimming is all about technique and yours may not be as good as you think. I was a competition swimmer in my teens and even now at 53 years old, 10 kilo's over weight and a smoker I guarantee I could get in the pool and swim 1,000 metres without a problem. Of course I would have difficulty getting out of bed the following morning! :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:39 am

Wd40 wrote:Thanks Lynx. I do understand the meaning of calories. Rice is high in calories but not as high as meat.

100 gms of rice is only 111 calories and in a meal we consume like max about 300gms of rice at a time. 100 gms of chicken on the other hand is 219 calories.

I have seen locals eating in food courts. The portion of rice and the portion of chicken is same! In Indian diet, its just lots of rice. So calories wise I think both are same. Its just that, the quality of calories is bad, in case of Indian diet.
The problem is not the caloric content per se, but the sugar content. While meat has more calories, the protein content will offset the calories while the carbohydrates (rice) will be converted to sugar/fat and stored!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:46 pm

Wd40 wrote:Thanks Lynx. I do understand the meaning of calories. Rice is high in calories but not as high as meat.

For me, I put white rice under "backstabbers" group. That's why during the initial stage, I switch it into brown rice. Additionally, I tried to reduce food related with coconut milk, fruits with high fructose level, deep fried foods, and dairy products. Combined with exercises, so far, things are working fine.
"Budget Expat"

eastcoastsg

Post by eastcoastsg » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:42 pm

Again, no more excuses: this time about vegetarian and therefore being in a caloric deficit! Mate, if you're unhealthily fat, that simply means you're taking in more calories than you are burning. If you have been sedentary, it's possible that your metabolism is slower than barnacles growing on a hull. The good news is that you can correct that over time by being more active and cleaning up your diet.

On another note, sugary stuff, not just sweets, but anything refined and even excess fructose, wont do you any good(in your situation). Bumping up fibre is healthy and slows down sugar absorption. Now protein slows down sugar absorption, too. So you can't directly compare chicken calories and rice calories. I'm not telling you to eat chicken, but emphasizing that calories are not just calories (as others have already pointed out.)

You need to be aware of whats causing your troubles before you can make effective lifestyle changes. And sometimes you need someone to kick your butt. Serious.