Singapore Expats

Unexpected pregnancy

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:47 pm

In the 'usual' insurance wording you are covered up to the birth and anything else AFTER the 10 month period is up. So if you entered into the contract on 1 January, became pregnant in March - you would be covered for ante natal care from November (10th month of policy) up to the birth in December and there after. But it will of course depend on the particular wording of your policy. Do you have it to hand?
KK hospital is not expensive and child birth is natural - not a disease. So no need to have fancy options. If she needs a Csection - book her in and just do the usual package.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 1:03 pm

katbh wrote:In the 'usual' insurance wording you are covered up to the birth and anything else AFTER the 10 month period is up. So if you entered into the contract on 1 January, became pregnant in March - you would be covered for ante natal care from November (10th month of policy) up to the birth in December and there after. But it will of course depend on the particular wording of your policy. Do you have it to hand?
KK hospital is not expensive and child birth is natural - not a disease. So no need to have fancy options. If she needs a Csection - book her in and just do the usual package.
I don't have the policy here as I am at the office. According to my insurance agent we are not covered before after May 6th, 2014. Which is just so darn unlucky as from what our calculations show, she will be due in mid April. Seems as if there are a sum given to us by the company insurance of S$ 3k though so that will help ease it a bit.

Not really about the financial side of it because we will do what it takes. Would just have been nice if we could have used that money for something else.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 1:09 pm

We have the insurance with exactly the wording and it is like I wrote earlier. Still BUPA may have it differently so worth to check.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 2:49 pm

Got the confirmation today. Wife is 5 weeks pregnant. Set to give birth last week of April. Our insurance kicks in on the 6th of May..... :P

Anyway, not really important.... I am chuffed to bits :D :D So happy :D

DrPaulMasters

Post by DrPaulMasters » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:32 am

Congratulations Fortan

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 8:50 am

DrPaulMasters wrote:Congratulations Fortan

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:09 am

Fortan wrote:Got the confirmation today. Wife is 5 weeks pregnant. Set to give birth last week of April. Our insurance kicks in on the 6th of May..... :P

Ask her to hang on! However - congrats.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:30 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fortan wrote:Got the confirmation today. Wife is 5 weeks pregnant. Set to give birth last week of April. Our insurance kicks in on the 6th of May..... :P

Ask her to hang on! However - congrats.
Thanks a lot :)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:08 am

Congratulations, we are in a similar position. 6 week and end of April but we are doing it the hard way! Wife is spotting regularly and doctor ordered complete rest.

So I am currently mummy, daddy, maid and trying to do my job. Not enough hours in the day :cry:

Its going to be a tough few weeks. We really don't need a maid if this pregnancy is not viable but we do if it continues.

sunflower1

Post by sunflower1 » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 5:28 pm

[quote="Fortan"]Got the confirmation today. Wife is 5 weeks pregnant. Set to give birth last week of April. Our insurance kicks in on the 6th of May..... :P

Anyway, not really important.... I am chuffed to bits :D :D So happy :D[/quote]

Congratulations Fortan! All in all, it is still a happy ending :)

Just a quick question based on your knowledge of the BUPA policy. If all goes well, I am looking to get pregnant in the new Year (January) so I expect to deliver sometime in September. I am not yet signed up for pregnancy insurance, but looking to do so asap. Will BUPA cover my pregnancy based on this timeline? I'm not quite sure I understand where the '10 month' clause starts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and congrats again!