Singapore Expats

Work Visa Application got rejected

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
harusame

Work Visa Application got rejected

Post by harusame » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:19 am

Hi,
I got a research position in NUS with net monthly basic salary of S$ 3725
(insurances are included, bonus and allowances will be based on performance)

2 weeks ago my employer submitted my application and they told me yesterday it got rejected by MoM with very little justification, only that i am not eligible to work in Singapore

I am Indonesian nationality, with a German academic degree (previously i have been living in Germany for 10 Years)
I have a 4 years teaching/tutoring experience at university in Germany, and 3 years in development aid/bilateral cooperation in Indonesia

My contact person told me, probably my degree is the reason why the application got rejected
However, recently i checked MoM website, they actually listed German degrees and even my University in their database

NUS told me they will make an appeal
I wonder if it is worth the effort?

or should i start to think the possibility of finding another job in another place
It is very frustrating since i am really interested in the their research work (in NUS)

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:38 am

Let NUS make the appeal, but at the same time start formulating a Plan B, just to be safe. Are you Indonesian or Indonesian Chinese?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

harusame

Post by harusame » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Let NUS make the appeal, but at the same time start formulating a Plan B, just to be safe. Are you Indonesian or Indonesian Chinese?
Indonesian chinese, but why is it important?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:50 am

I hope you noted the degree as MSc or MSc-equivalent (if you still fell under the old "Diplom" scheme). Tripped me up the first time.

Make an appeal, but have some letter with it with some explanation/clarification. Maybe try and see if you can get NUS to ask a few more details from MOM why you were rejected. Point out that the degree is equivalent to an MSc (if it was not a BSc that you did).

harusame

Post by harusame » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 1:03 am

AngMoG wrote:I hope you noted the degree as MSc or MSc-equivalent (if you still fell under the old "Diplom" scheme). Tripped me up the first time.

Make an appeal, but have some letter with it with some explanation/clarification. Maybe try and see if you can get NUS to ask a few more details from MOM why you were rejected. Point out that the degree is equivalent to an MSc (if it was not a BSc that you did).
Thanks for pointing out

yes, it was still under old Diplom scheme
I am trying to contact my former university for an official clarification, however this might be not so easy to get, because it is already 6 years passed since i graduated
or would an official translated copy (by public notary) suffice?

previously i worked under german institutions, so my degree was never a problem

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:58 am

Yes, get an official translation that notes that the Diplom is equivalent to an international MSc. Strange though, since I think they now included "Diplom (German)" in the degrees they recognize.

Just pay a translator - if you are here already, the German embassy website has a list - to include a footnote on the Diplom title that says it is the same as an international MSc. It should be a certified translation (in Singapore, the German embassy does that - not sure how it goes if you are still in Germany). Submit that translation in your appeal.

Point out very clearly in your appeal letter as well as in the amended application documents that the Diplom is MSc-equivalent. (You cannot really change the fact that the title is "Diplom" (don't call it "diploma").)

harusame

Post by harusame » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:21 pm

AngMoG wrote:Yes, get an official translation that notes that the Diplom is equivalent to an international MSc. Strange though, since I think they now included "Diplom (German)" in the degrees they recognize.

Just pay a translator - if you are here already, the German embassy website has a list - to include a footnote on the Diplom title that says it is the same as an international MSc. It should be a certified translation (in Singapore, the German embassy does that - not sure how it goes if you are still in Germany). Submit that translation in your appeal.

Point out very clearly in your appeal letter as well as in the amended application documents that the Diplom is MSc-equivalent. (You cannot really change the fact that the title is "Diplom" (don't call it "diploma").)
thanks

yes, i will try to get official statement from german embassy

it is weird that they still have this kind of issue, i bet my case is not the first german degree case they have
logically they should have had some regulations to resolve the issue better

i thought NUS is well-known and good enough as an employer
and the salary is clearly above the minimum requirement for Q1 Pass
or is there any possible explanation why my application was rejected?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:27 pm

harusame wrote: thanks

yes, i will try to get official statement from german embassy

it is weird that they still have this kind of issue, i bet my case is not the first german degree case they have
logically they should have had some regulations to resolve the issue better

i thought NUS is well-known and good enough as an employer
and the salary is clearly above the minimum requirement for Q1 Pass
or is there any possible explanation why my application was rejected?
It was probably just some bureaucrat finding that your German qualifications doesn't neatly fit into nice, distinct boxes that they recognize. Most probably not NUS' fault.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:03 pm

The salary seems quite low. Have you informed yourself about the living costs?

harusame

Post by harusame » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:23 pm

nakatago wrote:
It was probably just some bureaucrat finding that your German qualifications doesn't neatly fit into nice, distinct boxes that they recognize. Most probably not NUS' fault.
hopefully it was the reason, not because of some other reasons i cannot resolve...
noskich wrote:The salary seems quite low. Have you informed yourself about the living costs?
the salary is decent enough for me, since i am single, and not planning on getting married in the near future
NUS provides some benefits, including health care, shuttle service, and also the possibility to apply for staff residence

huge plus for me was the 28 days paid leave, which DOES NOT include academic leave days for conferences and capacity building courses (i usually travel 2-4 weeks yearly for conferences/courses), and sick leave
this compensates somehow the low salary

could it be rejected because of the salary? but it is over $3000 (minimum for a Q1 Pass)

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 2:40 pm

Reason for rejection is anyone`s guess.

If you don`t get SNU accommodation you will most likely have to share a flat. Even a smaller HDB flat would set you back 2,5K which would not make sense on your earnings. Don`t expect to save up much unless you have a `hand to mouth` lifestyle like unqualified workers (sharing a room, eating at hawkers exclusevely, not buying anything unnecessary...).

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 3:14 pm

noskich wrote:Reason for rejection is anyone`s guess.

If you don`t get SNU accommodation you will most likely have to share a flat. Even a smaller HDB flat would set you back 2,5K which would not make sense on your earnings. Don`t expect to save up much unless you have a `hand to mouth` lifestyle like unqualified workers (sharing a room, eating at hawkers exclusevely, not buying anything unnecessary...).
He can always rent a room for around SGD 1,000.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 3:32 pm

AngMoG wrote:
noskich wrote:Reason for rejection is anyone`s guess.

He can always rent a room for around SGD 1,000.
Or cheaper if further from Dover/Kent Ridge zone.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 9:57 pm

Well yeah, he could get a room and minimise spending in which case he could save up say 1000-1400 per month or he could just have a very average lifestyle and save nothing.

harusame

Post by harusame » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 1:22 pm

so, after a long way of appeal with more reference letters from my former university

Despite strong support letter from NUS and my flawless references, the appeal got rejected again, given no further reason than just "you are not eligible to work in Singapore"

it is a research position with a certain specific expertise as requirement
we have strong evidences that i am clearly a good candidate for the position

in my opinion, it is clearly a sign that the government of Singapore now obviously has other considerations than just professional competency