Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Think22

Post by Think22 » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 4:29 pm

got confused with this post in regards to MINDEF

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You son is screwed. He will have to do NS or be listed as a deserter. Unless MS knows a way to perform a miracle. The following statement in blue is what criteria wasn't timely fulfilled.

A letter notifying MINDEF of you son's intention to renounce had to be filed no later than his 11 birthday

so there is also no need of a dual citizeship before the age of 11 for my son?
His current sing passport will expire in five years.
to receive a german PP will require take eight years living in germany
do i have to contact ICA in change of address in regards to my son?
what about short term visits to his biological father? Advisabl

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 4:08 am

Think22 wrote:got confused with this post in regards to MINDEF

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You son is screwed. He will have to do NS or be listed as a deserter. Unless MS knows a way to perform a miracle. The following statement in blue is what criteria wasn't timely fulfilled.

A letter notifying MINDEF of you son's intention to renounce had to be filed no later than his 11 birthday

I certainly did not reply to this post hence I am not sure what transpire prior to this

so there is also no need of a dual citizeship before the age of 11 for my son?
Incorrect. You need to count back wards. If you need 8 years to get a German PP then he should leave before 10. As long as he has a German PR before he leaves SG , he should be fine. Since he has a five year SG PP right now.
1. He should leave now.
2. When he turns 13 apply EP as said in my earlier post
3. Then inform Mindef your intention to renounce his SG PP and citizenship when he turns 21.
4. Attached all docs i.e German PR. documents to show that you are applying for his GERMAN citizenship which states he needs to reside in Germany for 8 years.
5. Attached all other docs which states he and the family has no intention to return to SG i.e sever all ties.
6. Send by snail mail to CMPB
7. Wait for reply. Please remember all application is based on its merit hence you need to supply docs and makes it watertight
8. If successful, he will get an EP till 16.5 years old,
9. Then he needs to go online when a letter from CMPB reaches you.
10. Register and you will get an EP till 21
11. If not successful due to proof of German citizenship application which will be round about 16 then mitigate on this aspect. CMPB will then requires you to supply that once he got the citizenship.
12. Make sure notarise all docs when supply to CMPB
13. All these must be done by 16.5 before his NS registraion

Good Luck

His current sing passport will expire in five years.
to receive a german PP will require take eight years living in germany
do i have to contact ICA in change of address in regards to my son?
what about short term visits to his biological father? Advisabl
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

LA

Post by LA » Fri, 27 Sep 2013 5:08 pm

Hi all, I have found this forum really helpful but have a few questions regarding renouncing citizenship... Some may have already been answered in the forum but feedback would be much appreciated.

A couple holding Singapore citizenship and US green card have a child with dual citizenship from birth (but no Singapore passport or NRIC). The child grows up in the US and only goes back to Singapore for short visits using his US passport. The couple are green card holders even before they have the child and have decided to stay in the US.

If the child decides to renounce Singapore citizenship following the "procedures" e.g apply for exit permits, deferment and finally renounce Singapore citizenship later without completing NS at age 21, Would he still be able to work in Singapore after that? Or would the chances of getting a work permit be almost zero then?

If the couple decides not to renounce their Singapore citizenship and remain as a green card holder, how much would it affect the child's chances of renouncing his citizenship as well as not doing his NS?

Thanks! - LA

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 28 Sep 2013 9:13 am

LA wrote:Hi all, I have found this forum really helpful but have a few questions regarding renouncing citizenship... Some may have already been answered in the forum but feedback would be much appreciated.

A couple holding Singapore citizenship and US green card have a child with dual citizenship from birth (but no Singapore passport or NRIC). The child grows up in the US and only goes back to Singapore for short visits using his US passport. The couple are green card holders even before they have the child and have decided to stay in the US.

If the child decides to renounce Singapore citizenship following the "procedures" e.g apply for exit permits, deferment and finally renounce Singapore citizenship later without completing NS at age 21, Would he still be able to work in Singapore after that? Or would the chances of getting a work permit be almost zero then?

If the couple decides not to renounce their Singapore citizenship and remain as a green card holder, how much would it affect the child's chances of renouncing his citizenship as well as not doing his NS?

Thanks! - LA
How did the child get to the USA without a Passport? Was he born there? Was a registration of his birth made to the Sing High Comm in the USA? Does he have a Singapore birth cert? You've missed a few relevant facts.

LA

Post by LA » Sat, 28 Sep 2013 9:31 am

Thanks PNGMK. The child was born and registered for both citizenship in the US. Yes, he does have a SG birth cert.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:07 am

LA wrote:Thanks PNGMK. The child was born and registered for both citizenship in the US. Yes, he does have a SG birth cert.
Ok - based on my limited experience; if your son renounces (or you do for him) his Singapore citizenship he has NIL chances of working in Singapore as an adult. The door is closed. Just ask Kxxx Sxxxx - 3 sons - all high flyers with grad degrees etc - and MOM will not issue a work permit for the best of them even with the CEO of F&N supporting the application, because dad gave up their Singapore citizenship when they were young.

LA

Post by LA » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 1:51 am

Noted with thanks PMGMK.

From previous posts, it is advisable that the couple renounce SG citizenship as well. If the couple does not want to as they own an existing HDB flat (even before the child is born) that their parents and younger siblings are staying in, how much would it affect the child's chances of renouncing his citizenship as well as not doing his NS?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 2:15 am

Almost a sure lose - lose situation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LA

Post by LA » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 4:15 am

sundaymorningstaple - thanks for the honest feedback.

dowen1

-

Post by dowen1 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 5:05 pm

You got what you wanted and immediately deleted your post. Not nice. Your post is recreated and account locked.

A couple days a ago, I received a letter from Singapore of the national service programme. My family and me moved from Singapore from when I was 4 years old. My father was born in the UK and my mother was born from Singapore. I am now 17 years old. My mother and me changed our passport to become a British resident, so we don't have a dual citizenship passport (This was done almost straight away when when got the UK).

So now i'm confused as I thought you need to be a Singapore resident to do national service. But because I was born in Singapore, this means that i'm still listed to do this?

Any questions.

(I have an older brother that was born in the UK, so he didn't have to do the national service).
Last edited by dowen1 on Sun, 06 Oct 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Re: Few questions about national service, needs to be answer

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 5:14 pm

dowen1 wrote:A couple days a ago, I received a letter from Singapore of the national service programme. My family and me moved from Singapore from when I was 4 years old. My father was born in the UK and my mother was born from Singapore. I am now 17 years old. My mother and me changed our passport to become a British resident, so we don't have a dual citizenship passport (This was done almost straight away when when got the UK).

So now i'm confused as I thought you need to be a Singapore resident to do national service. But because I was born in Singapore, this means that i'm still listed to do this?

Any questions.

(I have an older brother that was born in the UK, so he didn't have to do the national service).
Time to report for NS. Your family clearly didn't follow the correct procedure for giving up your Singapore Citizenship for you; (in fact, depending on the age you left - it may not have been possible).

No - you don't need to be resident in Singapore to be liable for NS as a Singapore citizen; but you are liable to report or be listed as a NS defaulter.

smoko

Post by smoko » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 8:45 am

PNGMK wrote:
dowen1 wrote:A couple days a ago, I received a letter from Singapore of the national service programme. My family and me moved from Singapore from when I was 4 years old. My father was born in the UK and my mother was born from Singapore. I am now 17 years old. My mother and me changed our passport to become a British resident, so we don't have a dual citizenship passport (This was done almost straight away when when got the UK).

Any questions.

Time to report for NS. Your family clearly didn't follow the correct procedure for giving up your Singapore Citizenship for you; (in fact, depending on the age you left - it may not have been possible).

No - you don't need to be resident in Singapore to be liable for NS as a Singapore citizen; but you are liable to report or be listed as a NS defaulter.

I think my relative is in similar situation. They migrated with their son and daughter to new zealand, when the son was 10 years old. The son is now 17 and already have new zealand citizenship. He received a letter to ask him to register for N.S. The parents are still Singaporeans. Apparently the son wants to renounce Singapore citizenship and do not want to register for N.S.

In the worst scenario, If the son fail to register by the deadline, what kind of trouble will the parents get into?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 1:12 pm

He's the one in trouble, not the parents. However, any relatives still in Singapore might get hassled by Mindef regularly (hope their tickers are in good shape). Additionally, it a good possibility that he could be picked up in the airport if he ever has to do a stop over in Singapore due to flight malfunction, for instance. The parents could possibly have some problems if they still own property here or still have their CPF accounts intact here.

Without doing NS or having followed the proper protocol to avoid NS while waiting till his 21st Birthday, he's up the creek without the proverbial paddle. He will never be allowed to renounce until such time as he's sorted himself with Mindef. Therefore he will never be able to step foot in Singapore again as he will be picked up and jailed and fined and depending on his age, still made to do NS after his release. If too old, then bigger fine & longer jail term. Only need to have a problem in an aircraft and forced to land at Changi for the jig to be up.

The fact the parents are STILL Singaporean citizens shows the intent and eliminates any chance of convincing Mindef. My advice? Tell the kid to Cowboy Up and be a man.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 1:49 pm

smoko wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Any questions.

I think my relative is in similar situation. They migrated with their son and daughter to new zealand, when the son was 10 years old. The son is now 17 and already have new zealand citizenship. He received a letter to ask him to register for N.S. The parents are still Singaporeans. Apparently the son wants to renounce Singapore citizenship and do not want to register for N.S.

In the worst scenario, If the son fail to register by the deadline, what kind of trouble will the parents get into?
The interesting question is why the parents haven't taken up NZ citizenship themselves?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 2:30 pm

Same reason so many of the PRs here haven't (like me for instance). Too many reasons, even for long stayer like us! :-|