Singapore Expats

Renunciation of sg citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
jbean2812

Renunciation of sg citizenship

Post by jbean2812 » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 5:24 am

I have sent in my completed application form to renounce my citizenship on 15/8/13 and have been told so many different time scales of when it will be approved (betwenn 4 weeks to 16 weeks). Does anyone have any personal experience with this. i am female with no sons thereforeno NS liability. I put through my application thru the High Com in London. Is there a way I can check up with ICA directly on this? Any help or information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

quitter

Post by quitter » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:29 pm

It will take quite a while, if memory serves me right, it took me a good 5 months from submission to receiving confirmation that I am a "quitter". Patience. Just got to be patient with them...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 2:50 pm

if you want instant. that will be at ICA Singapore. Take no less than an hour

If you do it at High Comms overseas. all docs have to be authenticate in Singapore. it will take 6 weeks once the papers received, then on another six weeks to Internal Affairs then back to ICA , only then back to High Comms
You are looking at least 3 months doing at overseas mission
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jbean2812

Post by jbean2812 » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 5:02 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:if you want instant. that will be at ICA Singapore. Take no less than an hour

If you do it at High Comms overseas. all docs have to be authenticate in Singapore. it will take 6 weeks once the papers received, then on another six weeks to Internal Affairs then back to ICA , only then back to High Comms
You are looking at least 3 months doing at overseas mission
Dear MS

Thank you for your reply. I am in my 6th week from posting it to the Singapore High Com in the UK. Is it possible for me to contact ICA to check/expedite the application? Also, I've read in your previous advice to T-Carrot to go to ICA directly to get it done (or at least something like that). I am happy to make a trip back it that means I can get it done quickly. I would be completely appreciative of your help as the ICA website says nothing about it.

Thank you

Jbean

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 4:48 pm

If you have submitted it there is no chance you can check where is at right now.
Alternatively, go to ICA and make a formal application albeit duplication of application for renounciation. Check with them that there was no news on the outcome hence your travel back to SG
bring along all originals documents i.e foreign citizenship , foreign PP, SG PP, IC, birth cert anything that you think will be needed even up to the extent of educational qualification and your employment overseas.
If you are married and have children, please do not inform this to ICA as it just makes it slower in the application if you get my drift

Then on fo to CPF building to get your $$$$$

Good Luck
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jbean2812

Post by jbean2812 » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 7:43 pm

Hi MS

Thanks for your reply. A few more questions please, do you know what happens with the ST Discounted shares? Can I still hold on to it as an ex-sgrean or must I sell it off and is it possible to get the CPF money straight away if I go in person with all the necessary documents?

Thanks

JBean

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 27 Sep 2013 5:05 pm

You can hold on to it if you wish to. There is no clause that show you cannot though it was meant for Sger only. Personally these shares are crumbs, it is best to cut the ties properly so that it does not haunt you later.

jbean2812

Post by jbean2812 » Fri, 27 Sep 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks, much appreciated - guess all I can do is simply wait! :???: