Singapore Expats

Movers who will pack/unpack everything and put it back

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Berabouman

Movers who will pack/unpack everything and put it back

Post by Berabouman » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 5:58 pm

Hello everyone! My family and I are looking to move sometime in October to a new rented apartment. However, this is a high stress period for us, not just
because of the move but because of other factors as well. Also, we just moved the year before and are very exhausted from that too.

So we are looking into whether or not there is a kind of "premium" moving service which will do everything (or almost everything) for us - pack our
belongings, lable the electronics, get everything organized, move and reassemble everything at the other location. A kind of "all-in-one" movers. Obviously
this kind of service would cost more, but if it is within our budget we do not mind.

I first started thinking of this when an aunt of mine mentioned that she used a company like this to relocate - but I can't quite remember what the name of
the company was!

Does anyone know of any movers that offer this kind of service? What were your experiences with them?

Any help/suggestions/tips would be most appreciated!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 6:02 pm

Most big international movers will do this as an (expensive) option. In my experience you tend to "lose" more items tho.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 6:27 pm

We have just used such services (Shalom) to move within Singapore and for exactly the same reason. In short: we will unlikely do it again. Probably if we had less of our stuff things would be different but with all we have (a lot) it only marginally helped us comparing to the scenario with the self-packing. The company packed everything by rooms only and unpacked with much lower storing density than it was originally (i.e. unpacked few items only in a cabinet, was: cabinet filled completely) and we were left with the number of boxes unpacked. Also they packed some stuff to our furniture so we are still in the process of discovering of some items hidden where they never belonged.

Berabouman

Post by Berabouman » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Not big on losing things (I doubt anyone is) so I'm now quite wary of this option. On the plus side, we don't have a lot of stuff because we sorted things out after our first big move. Not sure how much this would help though...

I've heard that K.C Dat will re-label everything and try to place it in the correct locations. Anyone have experience with them?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 8:59 pm

If I am not mistaken a friend of mine used them and he said it was ok, but he did not have too much stuff and they were definitely not the cheapest one around.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 2:19 pm

We had valet packing and unpacking recently. It was a huge mistake. What I didnt know, and now I do, a lot of these removals, sub contract the moving process out to sub contractors. We had stuff chucked around. Stuff broken. Stuffed that were labelled fragile were tossed around

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 2:45 pm

I had a great experience with Asian Tigers when they moved us Internationally from Philippines to Singapore. They packed everything in Manila and unpacked in Singapore. Faultless service and the only damage was a minor dent to a cheap toaster. Nothing went missing.

They also provide a domestic service in Singapore.

Caveat. I did no price comparisons as the company I work for paid as part of relocation expenses so I do not know how expensive they are.

I would definitely use them again.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 3:35 pm

We used Oranje movers and they packed and unpacked the whole house, re missing items just make sure all your valuables are packed and carried by yourself.

This includes small items that are easy to slip into pockets.

Designer belts ( Easy for a mover to slip a new Prada belt on while packing)
Nice small knifes like swiss army and gerber stuff etc
Expensive eye glasses
Nice Pens
Hard disks thumb drives
Small game boys
and sat navs
Your wife's undies. :lol:

Then you should be OK