Singapore Expats

Religious Criticism

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 10:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:IMO it's about the intentions. if this is just his opinion he has the right to express it. If this is to insult a group of people based on their religion it's probably a criminal offense.

And why should that be a criminal offense? Any more than insulting a group of people over the team they support or the clothes they wear? Why does my freedom of speech not extend to this?
Because people believe in some values. These values are often subjective (the ethics). In many if not majority of the countries you may be penalized for insulting the head of the country, the flag etc. I don't see any technical difference. It is a matter of respect to someones believes in certain values. Your freedom ends at the point it violates someone else freedom within a specific ethical system.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 8:00 am

salmanucit wrote:well, that guy looks quite blunt. for example, in one of his posts, he says Hazrat Maryam (Merry, the mother of Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H) was in relationship with some one (out of wedlock) and then Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H bourn as a result. I believe this comment is equally painful for both Christians and Muslims.

Salman
But, think of it from someone else's opinion, that's like saying to a Harry Potter fanatic:

Harry's mum was at it with Dumbledore and Harry's his kid, they have a vested interest in that book, but, if you really believe in the book then why would it hurt?

Personally, I'm with SE, religion is all based on books written by crazy men who hear voices, they would have been put in a mental hospital for that kind of thing nowadays, just cause it happened many years ago, doesn't make it any more true!

an you
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 8:53 am

I am not a religious person at all (euphemisticly speaking) but this is least about the religion. It is about social tolerance and mutual respect. I can assure, everybody has their own beliefs that (s)he takes for granted as a part of more general ethical system, that he or you think is universal. These beliefs can be always questioned based on plain logic and double sure you won't like it.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:31 am

Agreed, This is why I don't preach the word of science to people who preach the word of religion to me, I have no reason to believe them, but, likewise, I have no reason to change their minds and make them believe me.

Whatever the case, the OP should move on and ignore the protagonist, if it really upsets you, don't read his comments, as you say, they are on HIS twitter and HIS personal blog, therefore, if you don't follow them, then you will not have to put up with it.

done - next problem.
nutnut

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:36 am

nutnut wrote:Agreed, This is why I don't preach the word of science to people who preach the word of religion to me, I have no reason to believe them, but, likewise, I have no reason to change their minds and make them believe me.

Whatever the case, the OP should move on and ignore the protagonist, if it really upsets you, don't read his comments, as you say, they are on HIS twitter and HIS personal blog, therefore, if you don't follow them, then you will not have to put up with it.

done - next problem.
It's dam hot, how?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:02 pm

PS: a few years ago, a Christian couple were brought to court, as they had posted leaflets into mail boxes, including some which had claimed that the True God is Jesus Christ and also questioning the Islamic Teachings.

Not sure, for Online ramblings how SPF will interpret

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:PS: a few years ago, a Christian couple were brought to court, as they had posted leaflets into mail boxes, including some which had claimed that the True God is Jesus Christ and also questioning the Islamic Teachings.

Not sure, for Online ramblings how SPF will interpret
Well they picked on the wrong group... I doubt they'd have gone to prison (or been reported) if they'd of gentle ..... or free thinkers.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 1:24 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
nutnut wrote:Agreed, This is why I don't preach the word of science to people who preach the word of religion to me, I have no reason to believe them, but, likewise, I have no reason to change their minds and make them believe me.

done - next problem.
It's dam hot, how?
What? I am not with you?
nutnut

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 1:25 pm

Go to religious council and ask their opinion and take it from there
If you feel offended and wish to take it up higher get the proof and the council too before taking any further
It does not matter if it is Christian, Muslim Buddhist whatever.
You have rights in religious belief though SG Gahmen only recognises the four main stream ones only
Religious tolerance is very important here and the Gahmen does not tolerate disharmony in tolerance
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 1:35 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Because Singapore had decided this is the way they want to handle large groups of people from different religions living in very close proximity. I personally have no problem with it. I know you (SE) aren't here anymore and perhaps have forgotten how easy it would be for a large racial or religious riot to break out again. ALL the police cars in Singapore (and ambulances) still have riot-shield fixings on their windows.... still - that tells me all I need to know about the intel they have.
+1

I'm completely against the limitation of free speech, even in most cases where those with thin skin feel it impinges on their own rights. However in the specific case of Singapore, I understand their reasoning and believe it has strongly to do with what OSOD says here. Not that I agree with it (or a lot of things on the red dot), but at least I understand the rational.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 1:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Because Singapore had decided this is the way they want to handle large groups of people from different religions living in very close proximity. I personally have no problem with it. I know you (SE) aren't here anymore and perhaps have forgotten how easy it would be for a large racial or religious riot to break out again. ALL the police cars in Singapore (and ambulances) still have riot-shield fixings on their windows.... still - that tells me all I need to know about the intel they have.
+1

I'm completely against the limitation of free speech, even in most cases where those with thin skin feel it impinges on their own rights. However in the specific case of Singapore, I understand their reasoning and believe it has strongly to do with what OSOD says here. Not that I agree with it (or a lot of things on the red dot), but at least I understand the rational.
Yes and it's not like we'd have the Anabaptists fighting with the Southern Baptists in Singapore like you might in TX... you'd have the most diagonally opposed groups going at it...

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 2:38 pm

Nobody ever started a war in the name of atheism.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 2:41 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Nobody ever started a war in the name of atheism.
Not according to Fox news...the war on Christmas, the war on Easter...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 3:11 pm

The Easter bunny started that one.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 3:56 pm

salmanucit wrote:he says Hazrat Maryam (Merry, the mother of Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H) was in relationship with some one (out of wedlock) and then Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H bourn as a result.
From the viewpoint of modern science (biology/anatomy/medicine in this case) this explanation sound much more reasonable than what is written in the bible.
I have no problem with either.
Tolerance, not complaining, is the key for living in peace and harmony with other beliefs!

Return to “General Discussions”