Singapore Expats

Import duties on moving to and shipping belongings

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Rani's

Import duties on moving to and shipping belongings

Post by Rani's » Sat, 21 Sep 2013 4:46 pm

Although I'm aware that holding an employment pass entitles one to import household and personal items duty free, could anyone clarify what system of import duties are payable, if one does not come to Singapore initially to work?

I have a home full of furniture and possessions and would wish to ship them, because various things have value to me, both personally and financially.

Our situation is that my Singaporean fiancee and I plan to marry next year, and whether or not I have found employment in Singapore, I still intend to settle there, God willing. Clearly there are various factors involved, which will determine if and how I plan to stay in Singapore, but I primarily wanted to ask the question of import duties. Thanks.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 21 Sep 2013 5:16 pm

7% GST on anything over $400 value I think. Plus special duties on cars, motorbikes, boats (I think), alcohol at a minimum.